The words you hate...

sox4lifeinPA

Regardless or Irregardless?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Do use the word Regardless or Irregardless?

• Regardless
    • Irregardless

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Jul 10, 2007 -> 03:09 PM)
There is only one right answer.

"Irregardless" is probably the worst and most ignorant word in the human vernacular.

just saying. Anyone else got one?

i always say irregardless around one friend because it angers him a lot

'Very unique' is the term that cheeses me off the most. Unique means one-of-a-kind so that kind of covers it. Very unique is like for ever and ever, as Father Guido would say.

You know what word I'm not comfortable with? Nuance. It's not a real word. Like gesture. Gesture's a real word. With gesture you know where you stand. But nuance? I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 10, 2007 -> 03:56 PM)
Centrifugal.

Is NOT a word.

Untrue. Centrifugal IS a word, it's just not the motion characteristic for circular motion (aka centripetal force) that most people believe it is.

Using the term to describe societal movement away from central beliefs, for example, the centrifugal leanings of a separatist movement, is perfectly acceptable use of a real word that means to flee (Latin fugere) from the center.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jul 10, 2007 -> 03:23 PM)
After that I have to go home and wursh my clothes.

:bang

Is that more of a pronunciation thing or do they really spell it like that?

Kinda like axe, ie.. "lemme axe you a question...."

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 10, 2007 -> 04:41 PM)
Is that more of a pronunciation thing or do they really spell it like that?

Kinda like axe, ie.. "lemme axe you a question...."

Pronunciation, I reckon. I cringe every time my otherwise well-spoken Mother says it.

My buddy was a cop. He was talking to some homies on the street and asked the one what happened to his face. He said his old lady hit him with a smove. My buddy was like a smove? What the hell is a smove? He said you know you smove your clothes with it. My friend goes you mean an iron? and the dude goes...man you white people got words for everything!!!!!!

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jul 10, 2007 -> 04:53 PM)
My buddy was a cop. He was talking to some homies on the street and asked the one what happened to his face. He said his old lady hit him with a smove. My buddy was like a smove? What the hell is a smove? He said you know you smove your clothes with it. My friend goes you mean an iron? and the dude goes...man you white people got words for everything!!!!!!

:bang :bang

I'm gasping for breath right now I'm laughing so hard.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jul 10, 2007 -> 03:53 PM)

OMG.. :lolhitting

Not so much a word but a phrase, I can't stand 'I could care less'. And it's not just idiots that say it, even intelligent people say it incorrectly. I find myself pulling out the 'scale of caring' on my raised arm (i.e. the elbow=do not care, fingertips=maximal amount of care) to clarify why 'I could care less' is in direct opposition to what they're trying to say. I feel like a real asshole when I do that though, but frankly, I couldn't care less.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jul 10, 2007 -> 03:15 PM)
Untrue. Centrifugal IS a word, it's just not the motion characteristic for circular motion (aka centripetal force) that most people believe it is.

Using the term to describe societal movement away from central beliefs, for example, the centrifugal leanings of a separatist movement, is perfectly acceptable use of a real word that means to flee (Latin fugere) from the center.

Well I'll be damned. I guess I misinterpereted my physics teachers saying centrifugal force didn't exist.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 10, 2007 -> 05:19 PM)
Well I'll be damned. I guess I misinterpereted my physics teachers saying centrifugal force didn't exist.

Yes, in the physics of circular motion, centrifugal force is a myth. But the word itself is a real world. I am a snobbish erudite prat for feeling the need to point out the distinction I know, so hopefully you weren't hurted by it.

:)

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 10, 2007 -> 05:33 PM)
When people type "should of", "could of" or "would of". They are typing the sound of the contraction "should've" which should be spelled out as "should have".

Well, if this is just going to turn into a thread taking potshots at Jason. . .

I Kid Because I Care®

:D

The phrase "try and" really pisses me off. It makes absolutely NO sense and EVERYONE uses it.

"I'm gonna try and loosen the screw."

NO!

"I'm going to try to loosen the screw."

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jul 10, 2007 -> 04:41 PM)
I always spell "eigher" which annoys the hell out of Kalapse. :D

:angry:

Which of these two sentences 1.) makes logical sense 2.) do you hear more often.

"I like chocolate better than vanilla."

"I like chocolate more than vanilla."

How the hell do you like something "better" than something else.