The words you hate...

sox4lifeinPA

Regardless or Irregardless?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Do use the word Regardless or Irregardless?

• Regardless
    • Irregardless

QUOTE(maggliopipe @ Jul 10, 2007 -> 09:16 PM)
Not so much a word but a phrase, I can't stand 'I could care less'. And it's not just idiots that say it, even intelligent people say it incorrectly. I find myself pulling out the 'scale of caring' on my raised arm (i.e. the elbow=do not care, fingertips=maximal amount of care) to clarify why 'I could care less' is in direct opposition to what they're trying to say. I feel like a real asshole when I do that though, but frankly, I couldn't care less.

My concern on this matter can be measured in micro-give-a-s***s,

or

I could care less.

:lol:

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 10, 2007 -> 06:08 PM)
The phrase "try and" really pisses me off. It makes absolutely NO sense and EVERYONE uses it.

"I'm gonna try and loosen the screw."

NO!

As a high school Spanish teacher of mine would say: VERB SPLITTER!

My first year in graduate school my "mentor" and I were writing a review article. She had written "irregardless" a few times, which I hate. So, I went through and corrected all of them. When I next saw the paper next, all of the irregardlesses made it back in. AGH!

I also hate it when people (i.e. my students) wrept that people are ept at something. AGH! No, there is no ept! There is an inept, and that is clearly what people who write ept are. Damn kids.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jul 10, 2007 -> 04:39 PM)
Yes, in the physics of circular motion, centrifugal force is a myth. But the word itself is a real world. I am a snobbish erudite prat for feeling the need to point out the distinction I know, so hopefully you weren't hurted by it.

You hurted my feelings. Your a jerk.

:D

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 10, 2007 -> 08:13 PM)
You hurted my feelings. Your a jerk.

:D

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jul 10, 2007 -> 09:31 PM)
Their, you said it.

:)

I will suspend you both. So help me, I will.

Speak the President's English DAMMIT (wait, no, don't do that either).

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 10, 2007 -> 04:46 PM)
I heard that exact same "smove" story, except it was a guy calling 911 and the word was "smoothie" instead. Ha, perhaps we know the same person, CC.

I've heard the exact same story CC wrote from two different people. My sister told me that story 20 years ago about a fireman friend, and the word used was "smoove." My father in law tells the same story (also with "smoove" as the word), but he says he was there on an ambulance assist when it happened. He was a Chicago fireman until 15 years ago.

I'm pretty sure this story is an urban myth.

Edited by Middle Buffalo

"I could might..."

I have some buddies from a small ass Tennessee town in my fraternity who say things like "I could might go to the store," and it always annoys me.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jul 11, 2007 -> 02:00 AM)
I want the "bigger half"

:bang

:lol: Now, that's funny

In Wisconsin, people call "bags" (and generally anything with the hard A sound) "bay-gs". It's rather annoying. I asked a girl for an explanation about why they say it like that and I was told, "do you call a 'bay-gul' (the bread) a 'bag-gul'?" I proceeded to silently question whether going to Marquette was really the right decision.

when someone uses the word good, instead of well. for example: He swings the bat good.

also when someone says something like: That was the most craziest thing i've ever seen.

and now that i've typed that out, when someone says they've seen something, when really they saw it: I seen the cop run the stop sign.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 10, 2007 -> 10:38 PM)
In Wisconsin, people call "bags" (and generally anything with the hard A sound) "bay-gs". It's rather annoying. I asked a girl for an explanation about why they say it like that and I was told, "do you call a 'bay-gul' (the bread) a 'bag-gul'?" I proceeded to silently question whether going to Marquette was really the right decision.

There's actual a name for that--it's called the "Great Northern Vowel Shift" it has to do with place of articulation for the vowel. Basically, in Northern States (and Canada) the articulation has shifted to higher in the mouth. It's a well documented linguistic phenomena and not, as many people presume, an error.

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Jul 10, 2007 -> 09:09 PM)
I've heard the exact same story CC wrote from two different people. My sister told me that story 20 years ago about a fireman friend, and the word used was "smoove." My father in law tells the same story (also with "smoove" as the word), but he says he was there on an ambulance assist when it happened. He was a Chicago fireman until 15 years ago.

I'm pretty sure this story is an urban myth.

So you're saying I was had!!!! :angry:

It's still funny and most likely did happen somewhere along the line, but back on the topic of hate, I hate when people pass s*** off as their own when it isn't.

C'mon Steff...saying Jewels is what reminds me of home!!! *tear* I miss it.

Anyway, I'm going to go the opposite way and say what I love to hear:

"With all due respect..."

Why? Because when someone, usually me, says that, there's no respect AT ALL due to the person I'm speaking to, and yet, I'm covering my ass. I wub using that line. Makes me feel all warm and cozy inside.

QUOTE(maggliopipe @ Jul 10, 2007 -> 09:16 PM)
Not so much a word but a phrase, I can't stand 'I could care less'. And it's not just idiots that say it, even intelligent people say it incorrectly. I find myself pulling out the 'scale of caring' on my raised arm (i.e. the elbow=do not care, fingertips=maximal amount of care) to clarify why 'I could care less' is in direct opposition to what they're trying to say. I feel like a real asshole when I do that though, but frankly, I couldn't care less.

what if the speaker's being sarcastic when he or she says it?

----------------------------------

not related, but i think it's lame to bang on dialect. english ain't a monolith y'alls.

'Basically', the most overused word in the English language.

I was speaking with a woman the other day and she (basically) started every answer with "basically".

Accents? People out here say their Os like awws. So, 'It's really hawwt out today" and "I spoke with my Mawwm the other day" and "hey Tawwd, you have a phone call". I think that's a Cali. thing.