Chertoff wants us to worry

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jul 11, 2007 -> 01:37 PM)
...when asked what HE (not the government) thought about the threat right now...

That makes no sense. Are reporters supposed to first ask him what the government thinks and then follow up and ask what he personally thinks? The questions are always going to be addressed "what do you think?".

This guy from the Homeland Security Committee pretty much sums up my sentiments. I'm not sure how much longer the dude will have his job, but his frankness is commendable.

Following yesterday's statement by Homeland Security chief Michael Chertoff's that his remarks on the increased risk of terrorism this summer were based "on a gut feeling," the Homeland Security Committee Chairman Bennie G. Thompson has sent a letter to Chertoff demanding an explanation, "what color code in the Homeland Security Advisory System is associated with a 'gut feeling?' What sectors should be on alert as a result of your “gut feeling?”

The letter states, "Over the past five years, tens of billions of taxpayer dollars have been dedicated to standing up and building capacity at the Department of Homeland Security. The Department of Homeland Security is charged with deterring, preventing and responding to the threat of terrorism. To that end, systems have been erected to identify risks and communicate them to the American public. With all the resources you have at your disposal and all the progress that you assure us that you are making, I cannot understand why you are quoted in the Chicago Tribune as saying you have a 'gut feeling' that we are entering a period of heightened risk this summer."

I sort of agree with kap (shock!) that more is being made of this than it probably ought to be. But, as the person in charge of the National response to threats, Chertoff probably should be a little more circumspect in his statements.

How about an answer of, "The threat alert is (insert color here), and that is appropriate for the current conditions."

No fuss, no muss.

I allow for the fact that he should watch what he says. But, I also realize that the question was a vague question "what do you think of the current threat level"... and he just replied without really sitting there being all politically correct.

I just think it's a little outrageous to be all outraged. :D

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jul 11, 2007 -> 05:24 PM)
I allow for the fact that he should watch what he says. But, I also realize that the question was a vague question "what do you think of the current threat level"... and he just replied without really sitting there being all politically correct.

I just think it's a little outrageous to be all outraged. :D

Looking at the thread, the most animated posts seem to have come from you. I was just pointing out that Chertoff screwed up, and that his screw up is endemic to the way this administration handles its business.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 12, 2007 -> 02:39 AM)
Looking at the thread, the most animated posts seem to have come from you. I was just pointing out that Chertoff screwed up, and that his screw up is endemic to the way this administration handles its business.

I've seen more stupid s*** coming from the MSM and the "questioners" from the Dept. of HS on this topic then things that make real sense to b**** about.