Pujols calls out LaRussa for not playing him

RME JICO

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AoEI...p&type=lgns

Not necessarily the smartest thing to do when it is your own manager.

Albert Pujols pouted and questioned his own manager for a move he didn't make.

As if the St. Louis Cardinals needed any more embarrassment in a lackluster season that already featured the alcohol-related death of pitcher Josh Hancock in late April and skipper Tony La Russa's drunken driving arrest during spring training.

Pujols was angry about being left on the All-Star bench and the St. Louis slugger took aim at the National League manager -- who just happened to be La Russa of his own Cardinals.

"It's the All-Star game. He can do what he wants," Pujols said Tuesday night. "He does whatever he wants. If I wasn't expecting to play, I wouldn't have come up here."

Pujols, the NL MVP in 2005 and key to the Cardinals' win in the World Series last year, said La Russa didn't talk to him the entire game.

Pujols could only watch when Rowand flied out with the bases loaded to end the American League's 5-4 win.

"If he wants to get upset, he can get upset," La Russa said. "Whatever he wants to do, he can do. It's America. That wasn't the most important thing tonight."

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jul 11, 2007 -> 09:21 AM)
This clearly shows that there is a rift between Pujols and LaRussa, because you don't say anything like that if you have a good relationship with your manager.

Also, most players are just happy to be there.

LaRussa seems to have problems with a lot of his players.

i think that he should have played pujols. i mean i like rowand but pujols is basically jesus or something

i read something like la russa wanted to keep a player in case it went to extra innings, but i disagree they had a shot to win it right there with the bases loaded.

seems like a bonehead move to me

QUOTE(bkmoney @ Jul 11, 2007 -> 09:32 AM)
i think that he should have played pujols. i mean i like rowand but pujols is basically jesus or something

i read something like la russa wanted to keep a player in case it went to extra innings, but i disagree they had a shot to win it right there with the bases loaded.

I like Aaron as well, but Pujols is at least 10x the player he is and should have been in there.

QUOTE(bkmoney @ Jul 11, 2007 -> 03:32 PM)

I think we all would have made the move. However, you don't go calling out your manager because of it.

QUOTE(bkmoney @ Jul 11, 2007 -> 09:32 AM)

If Pujols walks and then the inning ends, who plays the outfield, Pujols? Then assume the game goes another three innings and Albert pulls somehting, now the Cards are worse off to start he second half. I think he should have played ahead of Derek Lee myself and then this would have never have been as issue. There also could have been the baseball startegy of having players thta have faced K-Rod actaully face him (Rowand and Young).

Yea sure. Pujols started out as a OF'er specifically LF if I recall. And there is always a risk.

It just seemed like LaRussa didn't put them in the best position to win. Maybe LaRussa fell alseep during all of those 'this time it counts' reminders.

oh and..

Career vs Krod

Rowand: 0-1 SO

Pujols: 0-1 SO

D. Young: 3-3 1 HR 2 RBI (who knew)

and it comes back to rowand vs pujols.

sorry just not a hard decision

Edited by bkmoney

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 11, 2007 -> 02:28 PM)
This goes down as the most obvious post in the history of soxtalk.

Well, I like to keep things simple. Especially for folks who don't know where their ass goes on a chair. ;)

His logic made sense with Hudson up, but he lost all credability with the bases loaded. The only way that game does not end there, either via a hit or out, is a wild pitch, infielder kicking a hard hit ball but not having it go very far away, an infield hit, or a walk. And even in those senarios, there is still a chance for the next batter to win it, and those senarios are unlikely. To not hit Pujols for Rowand is so dumb that I'd think Pujols was trying to get his old buddy Leyland home field for the World Series or something.

None of it should have mattered though, D Lee OBVIOUSLY swung at the 3-2 pitch from K-Rod.

Edited by whitesoxfan101