Customer service at it's finest

juddling

GWINNETT COUNTY, Ga. -- A Gwinnett County mother says she wants answers and action after she and her baby were kicked off a plane.

Kate Penland said she was glad to board the plane in Houston after an 11-hour delay to visit her father in Oklahoma. But she said a rude and aggressive flight attendant caused her to get to Oklahoma a day late.

Penland thinks her 19-month-old son, Garren, has a bubbly personality. But Penland said when they were aboard a Continental Express plane, a flight attendant became annoyed by Garren’s personality when he kept saying three words.

“As we started taxiing, he started saying ‘Bye, bye plane,’ said Penland. “At the end of her speech, she leaned over the gentleman beside me and said, ‘It’s not funny anymore. You need to shut your baby up.’

In disbelief, Penland asked the woman if she was kidding. It was then, Penland said, the flight attendant went too far.

“She then said, ‘You know, it’s called baby Benadryl. And I said, 'Well, I'm not going to drug my child so you have a pleasant flight.'

Penland said when the other passengers began speaking up on her behalf, the flight attendant got angrier and soon announced they were turning around and that Penland and Garren were going to be taken off the plane.

“I was crying, I was upset and I was thinking, ‘What am I going to do? I don’t have anything with me, I don’t have anymore diapers for the baby, no juice, no milk,” said Penland.

The young mother said she later learned the flight attendant told the pilot that she had threatened her. Penland said that never happened.

Express Jet Airlines released a statement that said, "We received Ms. Penland’s letter expressing her concerns and intend to investigate its contents."

A fellow passenger told Channel 2's Rachel Kim none of the other passengers had problems with Garren and that Penland never threatened the flight attendant.

Penland is considering legal action.

:chair

She don't wear no pants and she don't wear no tie

Always on the ball, she's always on strike

Struttin' up the aisle, big deal, you get to fly

You ain't nothin' but a waitress in the sky

Paid my fare, don't wanna complain

You get to me, you're always outta champagne

Treat me like a bum, don't wear no tie

'cause you ain't nothin' but a waitress in the sky

And the sign says, "Thank you very much for not smoking"

My own sign says, "I'm sorry, I'm smokin'"

Don't treat me special, don't kiss my ass

Treat me like the way they treat 'em up in first class

Sanitation expert and a maintenance engineer

Garbage man, a janitor and you my dear

A real union flight attendant, my oh my

Customers are assholes as much as customer service people. There's way too much "customer is always right" and "my kids aren't like that" bulls*** around. If any of you ever worked customer service, you'd agree with me.

People will try anything to get "paid".

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 13, 2007 -> 12:55 PM)
Customers are assholes as much as customer service people. There's way too much "customer is always right" and "my kids aren't like that" bulls*** around. If any of you ever worked customer service, you'd agree with me.

That might be true. But in this case, I see some pretty crappy customer service, no matter how annoying the kid was.

Also, have you done much flying lately? There are certainly plenty of good folks working for the airlines, but there are a LOT of really pissy people too (which might be as a result of their working conditions, I do not know).

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 13, 2007 -> 06:31 PM)
I'd add in she should get the money from her plane ticket refunded.

After having spent 7+ hours on an international flight with a family that had a young child who screamed most of the 7 hours I support the flight crew.

If people can't get their children to behave reasonably they shouldn't fly - particularly on long flights. The parents seemed oblivious to their "little darling's" screaming. Before you say anything - yes I do have children.

Some people are just slobs and have no idea of how to be civil - what really grossed me out was the mother changed the kid in the seat - didn't even take him to the bathroom to change him!

:bang

QUOTE(J-MAN @ Jul 13, 2007 -> 02:02 PM)
After having spent 7+ hours on an international flight with a family that had a young child who screamed most of the 7 hours I support the flight crew.

If people can't get their children to behave reasonably they shouldn't fly - particularly on long flights. The parents seemed oblivious to their "little darling's" screaming. Before you say anything - yes I do have children.

Some people are just slobs and have no idea of how to be civil - what really grossed me out was the mother changed the kid in the seat - didn't even take him to the bathroom to change him!

:bang

OK, yeah, that's gross. And of course I have been highly annoyed by screaming kids on a plane.

But, as a parent I am sure you know, you often cannot stop a small child from screaming, much as you want to. And WTF would you do if your kid was saying "bye bye plane"? I mean really, are you going to slap him for talking in a fashion that might be annoying?

I'm sorry, but I see zero excuse for what the stewardess did here.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 13, 2007 -> 12:55 PM)

If you really believe there is too much "customer is always right" going on in this world, then you either own a business or never step out of the house anymore. From as much as I can tell the entire business world has suddenly taken a "f*** the customer" state of mind. I know of few places that actually put the customer first.

I agree with the "my kid can do no wrong" state of mind. Too many people like that for sure. But at the same time other people spoken to on the plane back the lady and kid, not the waitress. I'm not going to go by how a 19 month old is acting on TV first thing in the morning. Plus, I like how the article says the kid "flung the shuttle". From what I saw the kid tried to grab it, but it rolled away from him as he leaned into it.

We took our baby on a plane for the first time during Memorial Day weekend. To be honest, I was frantic that OUR baby was going to be the fussy one on the plane. I know I didn't want to be looked at by 200 other people as THE SCREAMING BABY people.

Amazingly, she was pretty good the whole trip, save for one shriek.

The truth is, you can't stop babies from screaming, and sometimes you have to fly, even if it's long trips.

It annoys me to see people b**** about it. All I know is I'm very cognizant of my surroundings and I will do what I can to keep my child quiet, but that may not be 100% possible.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 13, 2007 -> 02:12 PM)
But, as a parent I am sure you know, you often cannot stop a small child from screaming, much as you want to. And WTF would you do if your kid was saying "bye bye plane"? I mean really, are you going to slap him for talking in a fashion that might be annoying?

If my kid is screaming and such, then I take him/her to the bathroom and try to get the kid to calm down. That is if I am on a plane. Other places I take the kid to the lobby or someplace where they will calm down. I once spent an entire movie running length in the lobby with my (at the time about 19 month old) son because he wouldn't sit still and be quiet for the movie. Luckily it was Polar Express and I had 0 interest in seeing that thing. On a plane you might need to be a little more creative. But in this case, if all the kid was saying was "bye bye plane" an in a normal speaking voice...then the lady completely overreacted.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jul 13, 2007 -> 02:32 PM)
We took our baby on a plane for the first time during Memorial Day weekend. To be honest, I was frantic that OUR baby was going to be the fussy one on the plane. I know I didn't want to be looked at by 200 other people as THE SCREAMING BABY people.

Amazingly, she was pretty good the whole trip, save for one shriek.

The truth is, you can't stop babies from screaming, and sometimes you have to fly, even if it's long trips.

It annoys me to see people b**** about it. All I know is I'm very cognizant of my surroundings and I will do what I can to keep my child quiet, but that may not be 100% possible.

That happened on my flight from O'Hare to SFO. There was a young baby on the plane (at most, maybe a year old) and he was upset at being in the air. So, he was crying a lot to the point where he was almost hyperventilating and tiring himself out. But, it was loud. This middle aged guy sitting next to me actually told the parents "You need to shut your kid the f*** up." It was really uncalled for because most of the plane didn't give a s***/was watching the movie fine/nobody was really bothered." So, I turned to the guy and said "We already have one baby complaining on the flight. We don't need another one. I'm sure if he could tell us exactly what it is he's upset at, he would." The guy got all pissy but really shut the f*** up. The kid can't really control his screaming because he lacked the language to say "Feed me!", "Change me!" etc. That middle aged douchebag could control his idiocy.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jul 20, 2007 -> 01:04 AM)
That happened on my flight from O'Hare to SFO. There was a young baby on the plane (at most, maybe a year old) and he was upset at being in the air. So, he was crying a lot to the point where he was almost hyperventilating and tiring himself out. But, it was loud. This middle aged guy sitting next to me actually told the parents "You need to shut your kid the f*** up." It was really uncalled for because most of the plane didn't give a s***/was watching the movie fine/nobody was really bothered." So, I turned to the guy and said "We already have one baby complaining on the flight. We don't need another one. I'm sure if he could tell us exactly what it is he's upset at, he would." The guy got all pissy but really shut the f*** up. The kid can't really control his screaming because he lacked the language to say "Feed me!", "Change me!" etc. That middle aged douchebag could control his idiocy.

Bravo, LCR!! I wish I had the balls to say stuff like that sometimes, especially on a plane where I can't run away! Ha!

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jul 20, 2007 -> 01:04 AM)

You're cool. You do understand that, right? If not, make a note of it right now. :headbang