MJ vs. A-Rod

CanOfCorn

Let me drop this question on you very smart people here at Soxtalk. I was thinking about A-Rod possibly getting $30 million/year and the White Sox.

We all know Reinsdorf loves to win. We all know Reinsdorf loves baseball. And we all know that the Board is fiscally...um...well, responsible.

BUT, Reinsdorf gave $33 mil and $36 mil to arguably the best player to ever play in the NBA, Michael Jordan. Granted, he was a lifetime Bull at the time and made the Bulls internationally famous, but he doled out the cash.

NOW, with A-Rod being, arguably, the best player in MLB, do you think there's a chance that Reinsdorf and the Board shell out the cash again?

Again, I understand MJ helped BUILD the Bulls and was being rewarded. But, A-Rod would instantly put the Sox on the MLB map AND Reinsdorf's first love is baseball AND I think he might like to stick it to NY, just because he's from there. There is also the Boras factor.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I think there's a good chance, if A-Rod hits the open market, that the Sox will make a play for him, EVEN at $30 mil/year.

Flame on.

IF the cub is sold the new owner will show his colors early in the process if he goes after A-Rod as he appears to like Lou.

Arte Moreno will spend a ton to get him and possibly out bid the Yanks. The Yanks though are desperate. Unless there is a ton of new cash for teams 8yr/$240M.....I'll pass.

1. Has A-Rod already been a White Sox player?

2. Has A-Rod already brought the White Sox three championships?

3. Is A-Rod the greatest endorsement personality in major sports today?

4. Can A-Rod bring 1 billion in secondary cash to the city of Chicago in hotels, restaurants, clubs etc. on his own just by being here? (Has he with NYY?)

5. Is A-Rod represented by an agent whom the White Sox have no problems working with in the past?

6. Is A-Rod capable of inspiring other players on his team to better play just by being on the field with him?

7. When you think professional sports icons, do you immediately think "A-Rod"?

8. Can A-Rod bring higher TV and advertising revenues to JR just by being on the White Sox?

Edited by knightni

The Sox and Bulls are two completely diffferent orginizations with two completely different financial obligations. I understand your desire to compare, but logically and realistically it's not possible.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Jul 12, 2007 -> 10:54 AM)
IF the cub is sold the new owner will show his colors early in the process if he goes after A-Rod as he appears to like Lou.

Arte Moreno will spend a ton to get him and possibly out bid the Yanks. The Yanks though are desperate. Unless there is a ton of new cash for teams 8yr/$240M.....I'll pass.

Giants are already rumored to make a huge run at him with the slot Bonds will open if he doesn't play with them next year.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Jul 12, 2007 -> 08:54 AM)

I don't know if the Angels will have the funds to get him. They'd have to clear some cap room in other areas (but maybe Colon's contract is up this year, although I think he still has a year left). Plus the Angels got to worry about bringing back Cabrera and reinking Vladdy (cause both are due to be FA's either this off-season or a year from now).

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 12, 2007 -> 10:50 AM)
one player means a hell of alot more in basketball than one player does in Baseball....in basketball there is also only 11 other contracts to pay, 24 in baseball

couldnt have said it better.

though the original post was well thoughtout, so props for that.

Here's the question you have to ask yourself:

Is a lineup that looks like this going to be a winner:

Owens, LF

Richar, 2b

ARod, SS

Thome, DH

Konerko, 1b

Pierzynski, C

Fields, 3b

Sweeney, RF

Anderson, CF

Starting rotation: Buehrle, Garland, Vazquez/Contreras, Danks, Floyd

Bullpen; no expensive additions, only stuff from our organization or picked up through trades

If you could get someone to take on Contreras or Vazquez without us having to give up money, that's about a $100 million lineup right there, give or take. If you want to be able to put ARod into that lineup, you need to be ready for the rookies to take the rest of the spots.