Who's the Sox's best athlete

shoota

I remember a thread like this last season, and I think most chose JGar or Dye. With the turnover from last season, I think the question can be asked again.

I admittedly don't know much personal background of Sox players, but I'm going to guess Josh Fields is the team's best athlete based on his young baseball and impressive college football career.

Edited by shoota

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Jul 12, 2007 -> 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Josh Fields possibly, maybe Darin Erstad in his prime.

Why Erstad? He was simply a punter in football and even in his prime he wasn't that great in baseball.

I'll add onto to Dye as well, even though he is struggling this season. He was a pitcher and I think he can still gun it, and he can play basketball.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jul 13, 2007 -> 05:04 AM)
How is this even debatable. Fields led a Big 12 team to the Cotton Bowl as a quarterback and set a record for passing yards.

Yeah, I agree completely. That's what I was thinking when I first read this thread. If you're the starting QB at a major, BCS conference school, and lead your team to the Cotton Bowl while setting records for completions, yards, and TD's in a season at OSU, then I think you're a pretty darn good athlete.

QUOTE(wilmot825 @ Jul 13, 2007 -> 12:49 AM)
Not Erstad, He was only a punter in college lol....Fields by far!!!

Kicker lol, that makes me laugh lol, Kickers should only speak when spoken to. lol KICKER HAHHAHA

Interesting that you find that so hilarious. I want to see you kick a 50 yard field goal.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 13, 2007 -> 03:29 AM)
I bet Erstad can't either.

Erstad graduated in 1992 from Jamestown (N.D.) High School

Erstad was a kicker and punter on the school football team, logging a school-record 50-yard field goal. Erstad also played hockey (36 goals and 24 assists in 26 games) and participated in track and field (winning state titles in 110 and 300-meter hurdles).

Erstand played American Legion baseball (Jamestown had no high school baseball team), and hit .492 with 18 home runs and 86 RBI for the Jamestown Eagles in 1992. Erstad also was 10-2 with a 2.18 ERA as a pitcher, and was named AP North Dakota Athlete of the Year in 1992

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darin_Erstad

i'd say he's a pretty good athlete... :bang :bang

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

Garland is good and so is Buehrle but I would put Erstad, Fields and Konerko ahead of them.

Contreras might be up there as well. Dye and Thornton were basketball players.

I would rank Konerko third only because of the speed issue. Erstad or Fields. Fields is younger and I guess his baseball development in the next few years may change our opinion on this. Both must be very competitive. This is where I might consider Erstad's grinderness to be a plus. :P

Kickers and punters are NOT athletes....or even football players, for that matter. They are guys who got cut from their high school soccer team. Also, Konerko is too slow to be considered a great athlete. His lack of speed and exposiveness is unbelievably glaring. I bet he couldn't break 13 seconds in a 100 meter dash.

QUOTE(JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Jul 13, 2007 -> 07:54 AM)
Erstad graduated in 1992 from Jamestown (N.D.) High School

Erstad was a kicker and punter on the school football team, logging a school-record 50-yard field goal. Erstad also played hockey (36 goals and 24 assists in 26 games) and participated in track and field (winning state titles in 110 and 300-meter hurdles).

Erstand played American Legion baseball (Jamestown had no high school baseball team), and hit .492 with 18 home runs and 86 RBI for the Jamestown Eagles in 1992. Erstad also was 10-2 with a 2.18 ERA as a pitcher, and was named AP North Dakota Athlete of the Year in 1992

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darin_Erstad

i'd say he's a pretty good athlete... :bang :bang

I would think the competitve sports biography of the majority of major league baseball players would look pretty similar. i.e Three plus sports in H.S., excelled in at least two of them. Recruited by many Division I schools to play one or two sports. Maybe picked one sport to focus on before college started or tried to do two and eventually chose which sport they loved best. Typically really good golfers, etc.

QUOTE(Beltin @ Jul 13, 2007 -> 09:23 AM)
I would think the competitve sports biography of the majority of major league baseball players would look pretty similar. i.e Three plus sports in H.S., excelled in at least two of them. Recruited by many Division I schools to play one or two sports. Maybe picked one sport to focus on before college started or tried to do two and eventually chose which sport they loved best. Typically really good golfers, etc.

i would have to disagree with that majority of pro baseball players would have a resume like his. the fact that he was all-state in track in the 100m and 300m hurdles eliminates ~90% of the guys playing in the bigs. i couldn't name one guy on the sox right now outside of jerry owens and pods that could have done that in high school. plus, there arent many baseball players that i know of that are stud hockey players too. baseball and football or baseball and basketball yes, but hockey adds a whole new dimension than those sports - skating. add that to the fact that he was named the state's player of the year (given it is north dakota) is quite a feat in itself.

holding the career hits record at university of nebraska is a huge accomplishment considering he only played 3 years of college ball and considering the tradition of the huskers baseball program.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

QUOTE(JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Jul 13, 2007 -> 10:50 AM)
i would have to disagree with that majority of pro baseball players would have a resume like his. the fact that he was all-state in track in the 100m and 300m hurdles eliminates ~90% of the guys playing in the bigs. i couldn't name one guy on the sox right now outside of jerry owens and pods that could have done that in high school. plus, there arent many baseball players that i know of that are stud hockey players too. baseball and football or baseball and basketball yes, but hockey adds a whole new dimension than those sports - skating. add that to the fact that he was named the state's player of the year (given it is north dakota) is quite a feat in itself.

holding the career hits record at university of nebraska is a huge accomplishment considering he only played 3 years of college ball and considering the tradition of the huskers baseball program.

Looking at the state meet times in North Dakota, it isn't that hard to make all-state in the 100 Meter or 300 IM. Some of the all-state guys in ND wouldn't even qualify for state in Illinois.