AAP: Jose Martinez

18-year-old outfielder Jose Martinez hit his fourth and fifth homers for Rookie Bristol on Wednesday.

Martinez, who spent 2006 in the Venezuelan Summer League, is batting .382/.423/.618 in 89 at-bats for Bristol. He's still an unknown at the moment, but with his power potential, he's one of the White Sox's most interesting prospects in the low minors.

I'll get some more details on him soon.

Jose Martinez

Pos: OF

DoB: 07/25/1988

Ht: 6'5"

Wt: 170

Bats: R

Throws: R

Egbert_Jack.jpg

Jose's currently hitting .368/.419/.621 for Bristol in 95 AB's with a 19/8 K/BB ratio. However, he doesn't like hitting as much in Bristol, he has .451/.509/.843 splits in away games.

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Jul 22, 2007 -> 10:00 AM)
I saw him down in ST this year, and this kid is basically a twig. From what i remember about him, he seemed to have a decent arm from the outfield but i think he still needs to grow into his body a little bit.

I don't know if it's been mentioned or not (elsewhere) but he's Carlos Martinez' kid. Carlos is the ex-Sox player who hit the long flyball which bounced off of Jose Canseco's head for a homer. I don't remember Carlos as being thin but he was listed at 6' 5" and 175 lbs. Carlos died a little more than a year ago at age 41.

• 8 months later...

Jose Martinez

Born: 07/25/1988

Birthplace: La Guaira, Venezuela

Height: 6' 5"

Weight: 170

Bats: R

Throws: R

Jose is currently batting .279 for Kannapolis. He has 4 multi-hit games in his last 7 contests. He's 10 for last 26 ABs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Another bump...

Does anyone know anything about Jose's injury yet? Like, is he expected to be ready for ST next year? How did he get injured? What did he injure? Is his injury significant enough to take away his status as a prospect?

If no one knows anything about this guy, is there someone that one of the minor league gurus here could email to find out? I'd really like to know what is going on with this dude. He went from supposedly being our best position prospect in terms of ceiling to disappearing somewhere in the Bermuda triangle.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 04:17 AM)
Another bump...

Does anyone know anything about Jose's injury yet? Like, is he expected to be ready for ST next year? How did he get injured? What did he injure? Is his injury significant enough to take away his status as a prospect?

If no one knows anything about this guy, is there someone that one of the minor league gurus here could email to find out? I'd really like to know what is going on with this dude. He went from supposedly being our best position prospect in terms of ceiling to disappearing somewhere in the Bermuda triangle.

FWIW i'm pretty sure i remember reading something somewhere corroborating bureau's statement that he'd injured his leg and would be out for the year. sorry, can't remember where i saw it (it was several months ago obviously). and i'm only 90% sure i even did. i think it was a broken leg or ankle (not a knee or muscle i don't think). if that's the case i'm hoping it shouldn't affect his prospect status (eg, the way a wrist injury can sap power) and that he'll be ready to go from day 1 next year.

QUOTE (False Alarm @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 10:48 AM)
FWIW i'm pretty sure i remember reading something somewhere corroborating bureau's statement that he'd injured his leg and would be out for the year. sorry, can't remember where i saw it (it was several months ago obviously). and i'm only 90% sure i even did. i think it was a broken leg or ankle (not a knee or muscle i don't think). if that's the case i'm hoping it shouldn't affect his prospect status (eg, the way a wrist injury can sap power) and that he'll be ready to go from day 1 next year.

Thanks. I hope you heard right and he's still someone to watch.

Jose Martinez, OF: The son of the late Chicago infielder Carlos "Café" Martinez (best known for hitting the home run that bounced off Jose Canseco's head), Martinez is a lanky athlete who turned 20 in late July. Unfortunately, a leg injury suffered in mid-May had ended his season by that point. Before going on the DL, he hit .306 with two homers and 18 RBIs in 39 games. A year ago at short-season Bristol, he batted .282 with seven homers and 12 stolen bases. He has a great arm and good tools across the board.

• 1 year later...

I'm going to bump this.

Martinez is back from the ankle injury he suffered two years ago. He's playing in Winston-Salem and has a .315/.383/.444/.828 line through his first 15 games (54 AB) at this level. He also has 2 HR, 9 RBI and a 6:7 BB:K rate.

Martinez was listed as our #4 prospect by BA back in 2008 and Sickels still had him at #9 in September of last year despite missing the entire season.

Here is a scouting report from 2008 from hot-prospects.net, so I don't know the validity. But to me he is an intriguing prospect.

This promising young Venezuelan's season was cut short in mid-May when he shattered his ankle sliding into home plate. Prior to the injury, Martinez was hitting .306 with 2 HR 18 RBI and 7 SB at Low-A Kannapolis. Surgery and rehab kept him out for the remainder of the season, but all reports show that he should be ready to begin the 2009 season. Martinez has a long, athletic frame that has evoked comparisons to a young Juan Gonzalez. Like Juan-Gone, Martinez has immense power potential evidenced by his jaw-dropping BP moonshots. Unlike some young hitters, Jose has a good approach at the plate drawing some walks and limiting his strikeouts. He is a complete hitter who uses all fields and his plus speed is well used on the basepaths and in the field. Currently, he has the range to play CF, though his strong arm and thickening frame will likely move him to RF in the future. The tools are there for Martinez to be a special player, but it still remains to be seen if the horrific injury to his ankle will be a thing of the past or a lingering detractor to his development.
Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...