Soxtalk.com Updated!!!!

Chisoxfn

We at Soxtalk.com have been working very very hard behind the scenes to complete a massive overhaul. The site is on a server with double the ram, double the cache, and more importantly a core duo processor (which gives us a lot more power). We have also completely upgraded the database as well as correct some past errors in our database. The site is now running the latest version of invision and with that you will notice some changes. You will also notice a brand new skin and what we believe is a much faster/efficient format.

There is also a new profile system but for the most part the massive stuff was a behind the scenes all around improvement to the efficiency of our database. With that there is one con and that is that some of you may notice a few features behind hindered when you use Mozilla. We tried our best to prevent any issues and 99.9 of the time a mozilla user will notice no issues, however we, like most websites are still best viewed on Internet Explorer.

With the upgrade out of the way we still have a few more behind the scenes issues left to tackle:

1. Scale Back the Database - Our database is massive and because it is so massive any major query puts additional pressure on the server. To relieve that we will be clearing all non baseball posts that are over 1 to 2 years old (we haven't yet decided on a date). This process will take limited time (like 10 minutes and will be done in the middle of the night and most of you won't even notice it). We will complete this overhaul in the off-season when we archive all baseball related posts 2 years back and move them to a seperate archived database (that will still be visible), however the breakup will make this site way more efficient. At that point, every year we will continue to archive and keep the database at a much more manageable level (this mean you will still be able to find old baseball posts on our archives...starting in the off-season, while still having your member totals and post counts).

2. Front Page - Now that this is done we can go back to completing our blog/news like front page that we have been working diligently on behind the scenes. Once done, we will be releasing what we think will be a simple, yet pretty, place to really make Soxtalk a one spot shop for all Sox news.

We would like to thank you all for your patience and please post to us if you notice any errors.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say, even though I own this place and am completely biased, I was so lost without having this place. I felt so behind on Sox news. No other place even compares with this place when it comes to getting the inside dish on the Sox (especially when it comes to news about trades or potential deals).

I was so bummed when the queries took so long (everything went smooth as can be too...no hiccups at all). The last query, which rebuilt all the posts, took 33 HOURS!!!!!.

I want to point out the amazing buttons and skin are courtesy of Kalapse (Buttons) and Heads (Skin). They both did beautiful ass work!!!!!

Now only thing left is for us to fix the smilie table. I also will be rebuilding the attachments but I'll do that late at nights when the site doesn't have many people on (and I can do it without shutting down things).

So we should be set to rock and roll for a long while now :cheers

Ya, we got to update that. I'll get around to it tomorrow. Thanks for pointing it out cause I had forgotten about that. I'm just so happy that when I get home tomorrow I can finally relax and play some NCAA (got it today but have yet to play it).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 18, 2007 -> 01:41 AM)
Ya, we got to update that. I'll get around to it tomorrow. Thanks for pointing it out cause I had forgotten about that. I'm just so happy that when I get home tomorrow I can finally relax and play some NCAA (got it today but have yet to play it).

NCAA=gold. Been playing all damn day

Pretty sweet. Can't wait for the first big news day and actually being able to get to the site. That will be awesome.

And I really like the new fast reply.

Oh yeah, work has been brutal the last two days. Though I have been WAY more productive.

Edited by G&T

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jul 18, 2007 -> 09:46 AM)
There's a skin chooser at the bottom of the screen. Is that what you mean?

Yes, and apparently the current one is the only choice at this time?