2007 Post ASB White Sox Catch-All Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE(greg775 @ Aug 31, 2007 -> 06:07 PM)
I don't mean to be a jerk, but why are these the most important standings at this point? Do people actually agree with Kalapse on this?

Have you no pride in the White Sox?

Do you actually think getting the top draft pick will help the team significantly compared to what ever first round pick we get?

My god.

What's the point of being good dude? I'm not going to stop cheering for the Sox, but I honestly don't really want them to win; losing assures you a shot at a superstar player, even if that shot is like 10%.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By obtaining the 1st overall pick, the Sox will get a huge asset in the system, to either help in the near future, or aid in a trade at the very least.

Do you understand???

Yeah I understand I want to win every night and if we get the sixth pick it's just as likely he's as good as the No. 2 or 3 pick.

Going into the draft the White Sox put together a big board -- a list of players who they have scouted, think are good and would like to draft -- if the White Sox have the #1 overall pick then they can choose any player they want off their big board, anyone that they think is good can be added to the farm system but if they have say the #8 pick because they won a bunch of meaningless games at the end of the year then there are 7 players that the Sox can not take, anyone of which could have been #1 on their big board. At least with the #1 pick they can take the guy they like, the player they feel is the best in the draft, a player who they think will be able to help the big club sometime in the future.

Another point, if a #1 overall pick -- a player who a lot of people thought was the most talented player in the draft -- just puts together 2 good years in the minors his trade value will be incredibly high. Meaning, even if that #1 overall pick never amounts to anything in the majors he could still be dealt for a very good major league piece simply because he was considered the most talented player in the draft.

How can more draft flexibilty be a bad thing though? If the Sox have a top 3 pick then they can take who they want whether that player is considered the best, 3rd best or 13th best player in the draft, they can take their guy. If the Sox end up with the #8 pick that flexibility is destroyed. I just don't see the downside to finishing with the worst record in baseball this year.

Ryan Sweeny also appears to be staying home for September, according to Guillen. The left-handed-hitting outfielder, who hit .200 in 15 Major League at-bats this season, still is part of the White Sox future, but won't get enough significant at-bats amongst an already crowded outfield.

"That's going to make it tough for me to play this kid and play the rest of the guys," Guillen said. "That's why [Williams] doesn't want to waste his time to bring this kid up.

"The problem is I have a lot of problems making the lineup right now, trying to figure out the best out of that to having [Josh] Fields in the outfield. And [scott] Podsednik, I have to treat this kid the way he should be treated."

So much for Sweeney coming up. We get to see Pods and more Erstad though. That will help with the future.

Going into the draft the White Sox put together a big board -- a list of players who they have scouted, think are good and would like to draft -- if the White Sox have the #1 overall pick then they can choose any player they want off their big board, anyone that they think is good can be added to the farm system but if they have say the #8 pick because they won a bunch of meaningless games at the end of the year then there are 7 players that the Sox can not take, anyone of which could have been #1 on their big board. At least with the #1 pick they can take the guy they like, the player they feel is the best in the draft, a player who they think will be able to help the big club sometime in the future.

Another point, if a #1 overall pick -- a player who a lot of people thought was the most talented player in the draft -- just puts together 2 good years in the minors his trade value will be incredibly high. Meaning, even if that #1 overall pick never amounts to anything in the majors he could still be dealt for a very good major league piece simply because he was considered the most talented player in the draft.

How can more draft flexibilty be a bad thing though? If the Sox have a top 3 pick then they can take who they want whether that player is considered the best, 3rd best or 13th best player in the draft, they can take their guy. If the Sox end up with the #8 pick that flexibility is destroyed. I just don't see the downside to finishing with the worst record in baseball this year.

I appreciate this post, Kalapse. It was a good read and educational. I understand your position. I can't understand why you guys can't understand mine. The draft is a crapshoot in baseball. While everybody knew Dice K would be a great contributor (the Sox are too cheap to do anything like the Red Sox did) the chances any top 10 pick will ultimately be better than the No. 1 pick (if Boras is the agent we don't sign the kid anyway) are not great.

Why can't you understand that baseball season is magical for many. I enjoy watching the White Sox and watching them win. I hate when they lose. I am embarrassed by this piece of s*** team on the field today. Wanting them to lose every game so they can get this phantom player who MAY OR MAY NOT contribute in 4 years is asinine to me.

Oh well, those of you who want to mock my position go ahead. Why you want to write off a month of baseball and make it a miserable month is beyond me.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 31, 2007 -> 09:58 PM)
A top 2 pick compared to the 10th pick or so is the difference between Pedro Alvarez and Jordan Danks. And greg....there's a lot of entertainment in the race for the 1st pick.

We can't do it without games like tonight.

Mike Myers might have a positive impact on this organization after all.

I don't know why people who want us to lose to acquire top draft picks aren't as insistent that the White Sox sign guys like Dice K who can contribute immediately or make trades that actually can help the team. Or acquire guys like Soriano instead of Erstad. Reinsdorf is making money, people. If he can't pay the freight, he should sell the team to Cuban.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 31, 2007 -> 07:39 PM)
So much for Sweeney coming up. We get to see Pods and more Erstad though. That will help with the future.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but if Ryan isnt' brought up in September, I'm pretty sure it actually saves us a year on his arbitration clock since he won't be on the major league roster at the end of the season and will only have been up for a couple weeks. If I'm right, that's a major benefit of just sending Ryan to winterball and not calling him up, considering that I think he's just not ready yet.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 31, 2007 -> 10:15 PM)
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but if Ryan isnt' brought up in September, I'm pretty sure it actually saves us a year on his arbitration clock since he won't be on the major league roster at the end of the season and will only have been up for a couple weeks. If I'm right, that's a major benefit of just sending Ryan to winterball and not calling him up, considering that I think he's just not ready yet.

I believe you are correct on this one.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 31, 2007 -> 10:19 PM)
I believe you are correct on this one.

Correct. Even if he was called up, he would still have 3 years of pre-arb salary (after the callup), then 3 years of arb-eligible salary.

For example, Fields won't be on the roster long enough to effect his arb status. We'll get 6.5 years (assuming he remains on the 25 man roster the whole time) of service before he reaches free agency.

Sweeney did, however, burn an option by being on the 40-man roster all year. He should have two remaining. One of which figures to be burned when he fails to make the '08 opening day roster.

I was looking for the post about Hawk at the Bolingbrook golf course talking about how Ozzie wants Oney to be the Sox's starting SS for next year.

How has he done so far at Bristol?

.122/.175/.144/.320 (yes, it was rounded up for him)

Good lord that is f***ing pathetic. In 90 at-bats he struck out 23 times. In 32 games he has committed 11 errors. LOL

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 2, 2007 -> 11:11 PM)
I was looking for the post about Hawk at the Bolingbrook golf course talking about how Ozzie wants Oney to be the Sox's starting SS for next year.

How has he done so far at Bristol?

.122/.175/.144/.320 (yes, it was rounded up for him)

Good lord that is f***ing pathetic. In 90 at-bats he struck out 23 times. In 32 games he has committed 11 errors. LOL

so you're telling me there's a chance

QUOTE(BearSox @ Sep 1, 2007 -> 08:27 PM)
I am really becoming more and more of a fan of Justin Smoak. I'd be extremely happy if we got either him or Pedro Alvarez in the draft this year.

The major con of Smoak is that his position is 1B, which would seem to mean he would not be helping the big club for a while unless we decided to dump part of the Konerko/Thome two headed moster which I am not totally against.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Sep 3, 2007 -> 08:20 AM)
The major con of Smoak is that his position is 1B, which would seem to mean he would not be helping the big club for a while unless we decided to dump part of the Konerko/Thome two headed moster which I am not totally against.

Jim Thome will probably no longer be with this team after 2008 anyway. His option for 09 is worth $14 million IIRC, and unless there's a big change in his health status, I don't think he's worth that in 09 esp. considering we're only paying about 1/2 right now and we'd probably be paying all of that.

The other issue though...is that we do have another DH in 2009. We just resigned him. Dye. I really can't see JD being able to keep playing the field without it continuing to kill his performance when his legs hurt, as it did the whole first half this year...and we have what appears to be another potential OF or 2 down at AAA who eventually will probably get a shot at the big leagues.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 3, 2007 -> 02:23 PM)
I've never seen a source, but cheat mentioned there is a handshake agreement between the Sox and Philly for the Phillies to pick up $5.5 million if the Sox do indeed pick up the option for 2009

Wow, now that makes Thome a bit more interesting to me.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 3, 2007 -> 10:12 PM)
Wow, now that makes Thome a bit more interesting to me.

Agreed, under 10 mill isn't unreasonable for 09, barring a major injury between now and then. Even with his DL stints, its a good gamble. Especially when considering that if he were to go down, you could move Dye in that slot and promote someone like Sweeney. Thinking pretty far ahead though...

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 3, 2007 -> 10:20 PM)
Anyone know if Gavin is going to make another start this season? You'd think he'd at least earn one more start after his quality outing last time.

The best answer to your question can be found in this post at SSS -- it's a quote from Coop:

"Here's what's going on: Danks is getting 10 or 11 days off. He's not going to pitch; we'll have sidelines [sessions]. We're going to give him his time now. So that's our way of taking care of him. The next thing is [that] Gavin Floyd is going to get another couple of opportunities to continue to find out more about [himself]. Somewhere within the next 10 days, two weeks, Buehrle will be taken care of. Might be like nine days [of rest]. Everybody else -- [Jose] Contreras, [Jon] Garland and [Javier] Vazquez -- will be pitching as regularly as we can without giving them too much rest with off-days sprinkled in."

So it's going to be a giant clusterf*** to October 1st, as Jon Stewart might put it.