Official Squared Circle Thread

QUOTE(Brian @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 10:07 PM)
Flair will just not wrestle so he doesn't have to retire?

I read that Vince was unimpressed with the ratings for the first installment of the Flair "Win Or Retire" angle and they're most likely moving it to SmackDown.

They advertised him on the last Raw, then held him off with no explanation.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike Johnson, PWInsider:

As I reported during the post-game show for the TNA Turning Point PPV, Scott Hall no showed the PPV and was not backstage at any point this past Sunday. Hall contacted the company at some point in the afternoon claiming he had food poisoning. TNA pretty much wrote him off at that point and there are no plans to bring him back anytime soon, if ever. Of everyone backstage, Kevin Nash seemed the most let down over Hall's no show as he's been relatively supportive of Hall trying to get things back on track and has tried to help him. With Hall gone, TNA made the call to put Eric Young in the match and have Samoa Joe cut a promo to take the heat for the no show off of the company. While Joe gave a tremendously passionate promo, the way that he framed the veterans of the company didn't sit well with Nash partially because he was standing in the ring with Joe at the time, so the promo gave the impression Joe was aiming the comments at Nash, who then had to stand there and tag with Joe immediately afterwards. The promo wasn't designed to be an "insider shoot" promo to start a program between younger and older factions of the roster, although Joe's passion made it come off that way. When the PPV was over, Joe and Nash had words backstage over the promo, which at one point became physical, with Nash as the aggresor. Joe eventually walked away from the argument and later apologized to Nash. The feeling among those I spoke to in the company was that after Joe and Nash squashed things, it was a dead issue and they've already moved on. At least one worker I spoke to believed that Nash may have simply taken his anger out over the Hall situation on Joe. There is said to be no lingering issues between the two over the situation.

There was no real heat on Joe from TNA management, as I was told both Jeff Jarrett and Dixie Carter realized Joe got caught up in the heat of the moment. When Joe turned to Carter, who was sitting in her usual ringside seat (Carter sits ringside at all of the PPVs, often with TNA business partners such as executives from SpikeTV. She does not take an active backstage role during the actual production of the shows) and told her that if she didn't like it, she could fire him, it was an improvised moment that Carter simply played off of. The TNA announcers didn't acknowledge who she was, nor was it a moment planned to bring Carter into an on-screen role.

At the Monday TNA tapings, Carter held a meeting with the entire roster. She explained to them how much she appreciated their role in helping the company grow and at times became choked up and teary-eyed while discussing how far she's felt the company grow. Carter noted that there has been talk of talents, particularly the younger members of the roster, being unhappy with their roles. Using an analogy that actors perform in a play as written for them and athletes run the plays that are called by coaches, Carter explained that the wrestlers were no different in carrying out what was asked of them. She then announced that contracts for the entire roster had been brought to the meeting and if anyone wanted to be released, they could receive them. As Buck Woodward reported, Senshi was the one person who took Carter up on the offer and the belief is that the release was amicable. Basically, Carter felt that if anyone was truly unhappy, they could take their leave of the company and if not, they were to be on board with what they were asked to do by TNA, because they had their chance to exit. The offer was made to the entire roster, not just certain segments. During the meeting, several of the veterans of the roster, including Booker T and Kurt Angle, talked up what a special place TNA is and that the company had only just begun to grow. For those wondering, the meeting had been planned before Joe's promo and was not prompted by his comments at the PPV.

It's so sad how far TNA has dropped off. A few years ago I was getting into it, it had good angles and even better matches and than it hit a wall and went over a cliff. I still think it has something to do with Russo turning things into crap. Guys like Styles and Daniels were becoming stars and now everything is a gimic and a clusterf*ck.

I don't even really think Joe is anything special anymore.

QUOTE(Brian @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 01:54 PM)
It's so sad how far TNA has dropped off. A few years ago I was getting into it, it had good angles and even better matches and than it hit a wall and went over a cliff. I still think it has something to do with Russo turning things into crap. Guys like Styles and Daniels were becoming stars and now everything is a gimic and a clusterf*ck.

Agreed. I'm very disappointed.

QUOTE(Brian @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 03:54 PM)
It's so sad how far TNA has dropped off. A few years ago I was getting into it, it had good angles and even better matches and than it hit a wall and went over a cliff. I still think it has EVERYTHING to do with Russo turning things into crap. Guys like Styles and Daniels were becoming stars and now everything is a gimmick and a clusterf*ck.

FIXED! :D

Actually, I don't think it's 100% Russo's fault, but he's got his hands so deep in the crap that his elbows are brown.

The fact that they hire any and every WWE reject doesn't help. They end up looking like they're picking trash in Stamford.

Matt Morgan? Really? You need Matt Morgan???

Even with 2 hours they continue to waste FAR too much time with go-nowhere angles (beer drinking contests, anyone?), kill the only thing that sets them apart from The E (Dudleyz trashing the X Division), and they've done something I'd have never believed possible - they've made Kurt Angle BORING.

I still watch because I'm a stupid overgrown adolescent, but I don't care AT ALL if I happen to miss a segment, or even an episode.

...and I never thought Joe was special, so welcome to my way of thinking!

Once again, team player Tripsy pops off - he just can't stand anyone else getting attention, even for a moment:

partial source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

-- At the 11/19 Raw show -- the night in which Chris Jericho returned -- Triple H was joking with a number of the younger wrestlers about how they should be really excited for the next round of house shows. When asked why, he said that there would be nothing but sellouts now that "the savior" has arrived. He also said something similar to Shawn Michaels, telling him that he should work house shows again because Chris Jericho "was back to save wrestling." Michaels didn't really respond to Triple H's comment as he didn't laugh about it nor respond to it negatively. Of course, Triple H was being sarcastic with his comments. He was telling people that Ric Flair's return will mean more money than Jericho's return. Internally, some people believe Triple H's comparison was counterproductive. It was also noted that he never does this sort of stuff at the arena to co-workers, but Jericho of all people got him to do it. If he does, it's only with the inner circle of WWE. On the other hand, Stephanie McMahon was giving the impression at television that she is very supportive of Chris Jericho.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 11:17 AM)
Once again, team player Tripsy pops off - he just can't stand anyone else getting attention, even for a moment:

partial source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

-- At the 11/19 Raw show -- the night in which Chris Jericho returned -- Triple H was joking with a number of the younger wrestlers about how they should be really excited for the next round of house shows. When asked why, he said that there would be nothing but sellouts now that "the savior" has arrived. He also said something similar to Shawn Michaels, telling him that he should work house shows again because Chris Jericho "was back to save wrestling." Michaels didn't really respond to Triple H's comment as he didn't laugh about it nor respond to it negatively. Of course, Triple H was being sarcastic with his comments. He was telling people that Ric Flair's return will mean more money than Jericho's return. Internally, some people believe Triple H's comparison was counterproductive. It was also noted that he never does this sort of stuff at the arena to co-workers, but Jericho of all people got him to do it. If he does, it's only with the inner circle of WWE. On the other hand, Stephanie McMahon was giving the impression at television that she is very supportive of Chris Jericho.

Trips can suck it. Plain and simple.

Anyway, I was watching ECW last night and when the hell did Shelton Benjamin become an "ECW Superstar"? And they're giving him mic time, which is still a bad bad idea. They should put everyone out of their misery and put him with Burke, that way Benjamin never has to speak.

Yikes.

Source: WrestlingObserver.com

Dave Meltzer is reporting that a plane carrying the Smackdown and ECW crew had a "gigantic scare" several hours ago when their plane almost collided with another plane in Europe.

After last night's show in Frankfurt, Germany, the SmackDown and ECW crew were on a Lufthansa flight headed to tonight's show in Zurich, Switzerland. As the plane was approaching the runway to land, another plane appeared out of nowhere right in their landing path. The pilot acted quickly and managed to get the flight back in the air at the very last moment.

The plane circled and landed safely, but everybody was shaken up from the incident. Several hours later, the crew was described as being "white as ghosts".

Had the planes collided, Nancy Grace would have blamed Vince.

(green?)

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Dec 8, 2007 -> 10:06 AM)
Why is the WWE waiting so long to invite people to their big show? I read Paul Bearer said he can't make it because he already has prior committments.

Didn't they "kill off" Paul Bearer at a show a long time ago?

I seem to remember him being part of a Buried Alive match and he got covered in concrete in the grave. /kayfabe

And time for some cheap wrestling news roundup.

1) It is being reported that Carlito and WWE have come to terms to keep Carlito on the roster.

2) WWE just taped their Tribute to the Troops episode. I wonder if all the anti-wrestling people will avoid discussing this positive press for the E.

3) IWA:MS is going to run a show Mar. 1 in Joliet, IL. Already announced is:

IWA:MS Heavyweight Title - Eddie Kingston © vs Too Cold Scorpio

Brain Damage and Deranged vs Mickie Knuckles and LuFisto

I may end up taking the trip home to see this show if the card keeps going well. I was going to go to the TPI but couldn't make the three nights.

4) Did anybody else like the PS Hayes/MVP promo from SD last night? I thought it was pretty good -- promoting the World Class Wrestling DVD, getting MVP some heel heat and really played off the old school/new school mentality to get MVP over without damaging PS Hayes as a legend. Plus, it got the Hardy feud over too so Matt isn't entirely forgotten about while off TV.

QUOTE(Brian @ Dec 8, 2007 -> 11:30 AM)
Can 2 Cold Scorpio still wrestle? Back in the day, he was awesome!

I've heard that he still puts on solid shows. A friend of mine has seen him at IWA shows and said he can still go.

It's just in Joliet and worth the few hour trip I think...if anything else, its to see some hardcore wrestling in person (I don't count the random hardcore matches at ROH that I've seen live though). Plus, I'm a big Kingston mark.

Here's hoping they get Chuckie T booked as well.

Hey everyone, this is Ryan Clark with your weekly reminder that LIVE tonight we'll be providing free coverage of Monday Night RAW. This is how it'll work. Around 8EST, come back to this exact page and continue refreshing throughout the night for updated results. It's that simple. We'll be posting live updates as the show airs. Tune in TONIGHT at 8EST.

Here are some backstage news, rumors, and *Spoilers* for tonight's show.....

It's the RAW anniversary special and it starts one hour earlier at 8EST.

Steve Austin and Hulk Hogan are confirmed for this show. Mick Foley, Eric Bischoff, Trish Stratus, Tammy 'Sunny', & Lita are confirmed as well.

There will be a Battle Royal featuring many past and present names. Expect lots of surprises here.

2 Cold Scorpio, Jim Neidhart, Steve Blackman, The Mean Street Posse, Gangrel, Scotty 2 Hotty, Marty Jannetty, Ted DiBiase, Bart Gunn, Gilerg, Mae Young, Bastion Booger, Barry Darsow, Lita, Sunny, Trish Stratus, Steve Austin, and MANY others are all at RAW today. Some will do backstage cameos while others will be in the Battle Royal.

Former ECW Champion Steve Corino is backstage at RAW and is expected to get a tryout tonight prior to RAW against DH Smith. He may work under a mask. I'm also told he may be getting offered a tryout as an agent/producer as well. Corino had a meeting recently in Stamford, CT. about the possibility of working full-time for WWE. We'll see how it goes tonight but it appears he is looking for work.

It has been confirmed that Barry "Repo Man/Smash" Darsow and WWE Hall of Famer The Iron Sheik have been booked for tonight's Raw's 15th anniversary show. Iron Sheik managed The Sultan (a masked Rikishi) in 1996-97. Darsow appeared on Raw's second ever show in his "Repo Man" gimmick in January 1993, but left the company shortly there after.

Henry Godwin is at RAW.

Sid Vicious is also at RAW. He's sporting a baseball cap and sunglasses so we believe it's him.

Hulk Hogan is in the building.

Al Snow is confirmed for RAW.

Rob Van Dam is backstage at RAW and will appear.

Matt Borne will appear as Doink.

The Godfather is at the show and will appear.

Bill Irwin will appear as The Goon.

Look for all the agents to make appearances (Arn Anderson, Ricky Steamboat, Dusty Rhodes, Michael Hayes, etc etc.)

Evolution (Randy Orton, Big Dave Batista, Ric Flair, & Triple H) returns for one night. Expect them to start the build for Triple H vs. Batista at WrestleMania 24.

There will be a 'McMahon Family Portrait' segment where they will do a family photo with Hornswoggle. Steph, Shane, Linda, and Vince will all be there live.

Vince McMahon will name the all-time greatest RAW star which I'm guessing is him. Expect a beatdown of McMahon with Stunners, Legdrops, and so on to end the show.

Jeff Hardy vs. Carlito in a Ladder Match which has the potential to be sick.

Expect loads of other surprises.

Brock Lesnar, The Big Show, and Rena 'Sable' Mero will not be there.

Is The Rock there? We will see. He was contacted.

The Rock was in every ad I saw for tonight, so he better be there.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Dec 10, 2007 -> 07:19 PM)
When the ho's came out...

JR: Even Patterson's smiling.

Wow, what a backhanded comment about Patterson's sexuality, haha.

Yep, that and HHH saying "no surprise there" when he introduced Patterson as one of the guys Vince tried to "slip the sheleighlie to".

This show's off to a decent start - I can't see Carlito winning a ladder match against a Hardy, though.

Sunny looked great. This ladder match is very good. So far, good show but they have 2 plus hours to ruin it.

I always thought RVD leaving could of been a work. He wanted some time off and think that was the deal. Take his time off then return when ready. Hopefully he is back to stay.