Official Squared Circle Thread

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 09:32 PM)
All three of them actually made recordings, themselves, to be played on Raw?

Yep, all three

it was the real deal, and I am just as surprised as you

I wrote this article, "Taking Culture to the Mat," a few weeks ago for my college newspaper and thought I'd share it as I think it is historically, politically and culturally relevant in light of the Presidential-wannabes appearing on Raw.

So I'm sitting in my International Relations class last Monday afternoon, enjoying my sovereignty, when my friend Troop Serge calls out to me. "Hey Greg, what are you doing Tuesday night?" he asks, and I respond, "I am doing whatever it is you are about to propose me doing." He laughs at my adventurism, then tells me that he scored free tickets to a World Wrestling Entertainment taping, and he'd like me to come along. I agreed, we made arrangements to get there and back, and the next day we arrived at the Allstate Arena to watch grown men in their underwear pretend to fight. It was an interesting and unexpected development in my life.

Before Vince McMahon (who is the head of the billion-dollar WWE Empire) bought out regional competitors in the 1980s, wrestling was a game of "territories," whereby certain companies ran their own parts of the country almost like gangs and controlled the market. McMahon bought out his competitors, began booking shows all over the country, hired '80s icon Hulk Hogan to his promotion, and took the nation by storm as "Hulkamania" ran wild. Since then, WWE has made billions of dollars and is one of the leading entertainment industries in America, but its enormous success is not without controversy. People often treat it as a recent fad and a disgusting one, but the truth is that there are only a few institutions in American culture which have survived as long as wrestling has.

Professional wrestling has been around since the late 19th century, where its roots can be found in carnivals. Before the development of territories, wrestling shows would travel from city to city with the circus, and people would enjoy the show for what it was: a bit of a freak show. Over time, it developed into theatre - perhaps the most prominent theatre left - and has become a great reflection of American political culture and leadership. The 1980s (during which Ronald "Say your prayers, be good to your mother" Reagan served as President) featured the unstoppable American hero, Hulk Hogan, at the top of the card defeating Iran's "Iron Sheik" and other nefarious villains, including an American traitor. The 1990s are known as the "Attitude Era" and even featured two companies (WWE and Ted Turner's well-funded World Championship Wrestling) feuding for top billing in the industry in what can be seen as a reflection of the intense political climate as well as evolving standards of "morality" in our society. Today, in uncertain times, the company has been dominated by a power-hungry control freak named Triple H and the upstart son of a former wrestler who feels entitled to rule the ring. Sound familiar?

If nothing else, wrestling is a fascinating study in sociology and politics; while I can't say I watch very often, I can't help but wonder what it says about our society that millions of people do every week. And then I start to think about the human condition and traditions around the world, from societies that embrace cockfights to bullfights to Japanese ninjafights, and I wonder what it is about conquest we as human beings find so appealing, whether it be in the form of war or wrestling or sports. A part of me believes, though I am still undecided, that war and wrestling are merely opportunities for people to declare victory over others, and that is a great shared but dividing need of people everywhere, but maybe we just like the sight of people other than ourselves being destroyed.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Apr 22, 2008 -> 05:10 PM)
No details yet, but it's being reported online that Michael Hayes (head writer for Smackdown) has been suspended by WWE for 60 days.

60 days = 2nd violation of the Wellness Policy, so that's my guess.

I don't think the writing staff is subject to testing

The rumor I had heard was that a good friend of his and most of ours, Jack Daniels was involved. That some comments we're made in that shouldn't have been, basically just PS being PS.

QUOTE (Mr. Showtime @ Apr 22, 2008 -> 07:00 PM)

The rumor I had heard was that a good friend of his and most of ours, Jack Daniels was involved. That some comments we're made in that shouldn't have been, basically just PS being PS.

I believe it was Hayes who got drunk at Steph's and HHH's wedding and basically said "Once a Freebird, always a Freebird"

QUOTE (Mr. Showtime @ Apr 22, 2008 -> 06:00 PM)

Trust me, I did NOT think Michael Hayes was on steroids.... :lolhitting

I was thinking painkillers or cola, and definitely an alcohol problem.

Oh, and Jack's no friend of mine. I had a VERY nasty dispute with him and his friend Beam when I was in my late 20's and I've never forgiven them.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Apr 22, 2008 -> 07:25 PM)
Trust me, I did NOT think Michael Hayes was on steroids.... :lolhitting

I was thinking painkillers or cola, and definitely an alcohol problem.

Oh, and Jack's no friend of mine. I had a VERY nasty dispute with him and his friend Beam when I was in my late 20's and I've never forgiven them.

I don't know Critic, that mullet is still looking sweet. Has to be something keeping that going :)

Sorry to hear that, I'm still in my early 20's and he and I are doing just fine. No fist fights over chicks or anything...

EVEN with my boy out now

Whats the point of this? The US Champ, the IC Champ, and the money in the bank winner have all been in this thing already through two matches.. WWE needs to pull their head out of their ass and do s*** right for once

At least put up and commers in this thing as a way to try and springboard them.. do we really need to see Jericho, MVP, or Punk in this when they have already got things going for them?

Oh great, and here comes Matt Hardy.. jesus

agreed

QUOTE (The Critic @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 08:53 PM)
Here's the video of the return of the Ultimate Warrior.

It's pretty sad.

Look how loose the NWE ring ropes are. They need better wrenches, or a stronger ring crew.

Its sad, but that crowd was eating it up. I thought the ring was going to come down, that was a weak set-up

It's pretty sad.

Look how loose the NWE ring ropes are. They need better wrenches, or a stronger ring crew.

That was funny when Orlando pushed the kid.

i'll try to find the article but Hayes was also reoprted using the 'N-word' around and referring to Mark Henry. it takes wither big nuts or lack of brains to say that to "The World's Strongest Man!!"

I saw this on Wrestlezone.com.........

Here is the TMZ.com story:

There's no doubt that using the n-word is stupid -- but allegedly using the n-word in front of a guy that's over six-feet-tall, weighs nearly 400 pounds and calls himself "The World's Strongest Man" is beyond idiotic. Enter WWE writer Michael Hayes.

TMZ has confirmed that Hayes, the head writer for WWE's "Smackdown," has been suspended for 60 days -- allegedly for using racist language in front of wrestler Mark Henry. Michael's haymaker was supposedly thrown while out drinking at a party during the weekend of Wrestlemania, where reports say Hayes told Henry, "I'm more of a n----- than you are."

A rep for the WWE released this statement: "Due to inappropriate behavior, Michael Hayes was suspended for 60 days with no pay. In order to return to work, Michael Hayes will be required to undergo further evaluation."

hayes--------> :chair

Edited by juddling

QUOTE (juddling @ Apr 24, 2008 -> 10:14 AM)
i'll try to find the article but Hayes was also reoprted using the 'N-word' around and referring to Mark Henry. it takes wither big nuts or lack of brains to say that to "The World's Strongest Man!!"

I saw this on Wrestlezone.com.........

Here is the TMZ.com story:

There's no doubt that using the n-word is stupid -- but allegedly using the n-word in front of a guy that's over six-feet-tall, weighs nearly 400 pounds and calls himself "The World's Strongest Man" is beyond idiotic. Enter WWE writer Michael Hayes.

TMZ has confirmed that Hayes, the head writer for WWE's "Smackdown," has been suspended for 60 days -- allegedly for using racist language in front of wrestler Mark Henry. Michael's haymaker was supposedly thrown while out drinking at a party during the weekend of Wrestlemania, where reports say Hayes told Henry, "I'm more of a n----- than you are."

A rep for the WWE released this statement: "Due to inappropriate behavior, Michael Hayes was suspended for 60 days with no pay. In order to return to work, Michael Hayes will be required to undergo further evaluation."

hayes--------> :chair

Good Lord, what an idiot.

Although, I have to say, I bet this kind of talk goes on more than we'd ever know between wrestlers. You read all these wrestlers' bios and you hear story after story of horrible behavior and language in the name of "ribbing". If Hayes and Henry were friends, Michael could have said the exact same thing and this story might never have reached the press.

After reading this, I'm surprised Hayes was suspended for 60 days and not hospitalized for 60 days.

Edited by The Critic

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 24, 2008 -> 10:16 AM)
I blame Shadows, cuz I have MVP's theme stuck in my head. Everytime I turn a corner at work, I have "I'M COMIN'" going through my head.

Dude MVP is awesome..

"Like tropicana, I got the juice"

Next time you turn the corner do his entrance dance

It's pretty sad.

I don't know why, but I enjoyed watching that

QUOTE (Shadows @ Apr 24, 2008 -> 12:19 PM)
Dude MVP is awesome..

"Like tropicana, I got the juice"

Next time you turn the corner do his entrance dance

I have really changed my mind on MVP.

When he first arrived in WWE, I thought he was crap.

He has turned out to be very entertaining.

I was going to say I'd "turned the corner" on him, but I don't want to have to do that entrance dance.

:D

QUOTE (The Critic @ Apr 24, 2008 -> 02:44 PM)
In that suit he's like a JBL version of the Warrior.

I love how long it took him to get in the ring. He looked old and slow doing simple things.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Apr 24, 2008 -> 02:43 PM)
I have really changed my mind on MVP.

When he first arrived in WWE, I thought he was crap.

He has turned out to be very entertaining.

I was going to say I'd "turned the corner" on him, but I don't want to have to do that entrance dance.

:D

Hes pretty good in the ring too

QUOTE (Shadows @ Apr 24, 2008 -> 04:29 PM)
Hes pretty good in the ring too

Yeah, I meant all-around. His mic work is good, he's funny and can still get serious in a heel role, and his matches are interesting.

The outfit is still goofy, though. I know Vince stuck him with the outfit because he doesn't like his tattoos, and I realize it's supposed to be "flashy", but it's too Flash Funk or Jushin Liger for my taste.