Official Squared Circle Thread

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jul 25, 2007 -> 07:27 PM)
Wait, I'm confused - you DO like Randy Orton, but you DON'T like things that are repetitive and stale?

:D :P

Is there anyone you do like? Seems you only make sarcastic marks in this thread.

Edited by Shadows

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Shadows @ Jul 25, 2007 -> 07:52 PM)
That partially answers my edited question..

Why so testy about Orton today? This is no different than the last couple months, and it seems you have had a few defectors over to the Orton brilliance as well.

QUOTE(Shadows @ Jul 25, 2007 -> 07:49 PM)
Is there anyone you do like? Seems you only make sarcastic marks in this thread.

Yeah, there are lots of wrestlers I like. Unfortunately, my favorite, Jericho, is still on hiatus.

Off the top of the head (active in some capacity only):

Cage

Foley

Carlito

Angle

Kennedy

Estrada (criminally underused)

Cornette

Chavo

Finlay

Regal

Booker

Dreamer usually puts on an entertaining match

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jul 25, 2007 -> 07:57 PM)
Yeah, there are lots of wrestlers I like. Unfortunately, my favorite, Jericho, is still on hiatus.

Off the top of the head (active in some capacity only):

Cage

Foley

Carlito

Angle

Kennedy

Estrada (criminally underused)

Cornette

Chavo

Finlay

Regal

Booker

Dreamer usually puts on an entertaining match

Alright I can lay off for a while, Jericho is one of my other favorites..

QUOTE(Shadows @ Jul 25, 2007 -> 08:00 PM)
Alright I can lay off for a while, Jericho is one of my other favorites..

Trust me, if I didn't like wrestling I wouldn't go anywhere near this thread.

Look for me in NASCAR or college sports threads for proof.

If I get harsh it's only because the business is in such a lull right now, and it's frustrating.

QUOTE(briguy27 @ Jul 25, 2007 -> 08:19 PM)
Brian

How do you make the thing in your sig? I've seen it on talkbulls too...

I had someone else make it for me. No clue how to.

QUOTE(briguy27 @ Jul 25, 2007 -> 08:19 PM)
Brian

How do you make the thing in your sig? I've seen it on talkbulls too...

There's a web site that has different user bars you can choose from and put them into an animation. I used to have it for my old sig.

Here's an example of a site:

http://www.forumsextreme.com/Userbars_Attributes.html

And another:

http://userbars.org/

And oh yeah --- does anybody know in the TNA main event with all the gold on the line if Joe wins, does he get the IWGP/IGF Title from Angle too?

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jul 25, 2007 -> 09:11 PM)
There's a web site that has different user bars you can choose from and put them into an animation. I used to have it for my old sig.

And another:

And oh yeah --- does anybody know in the TNA main event with all the gold on the line if Joe wins, does he get the IWGP/IGF Title from Angle too?

TNA is such a clusterf*ck. I can't keep up with everything.

And another:

But how do you make the things move and sh*t?

QUOTE(Brian @ Jul 25, 2007 -> 09:12 PM)
TNA is such a clusterf*ck. I can't keep up with everything.

Samoa Joe is X Div and Tag Team Champ (cue Critic's fat jokes)

Angle is World Champ and IWGP Champ but there is controversy over the IWGP Title with Angle. But if you want a clusterf***, try to keep up with this story about the IWGP belt.

Originally Brock Lesnar had the IWGP Title and then he held up IWGP.

As a result, Lesnar was stripped of the title but refused to return the belt.

Antonio Inoki recognizes Lesnar's reign as legit and starts the Inoki Genome Federation with Lesnar as its champ, using the IWGP Title belt.

This belt of Lesnar's was known as the IGF Third Belt Championship (not the IWGP Title).

This is despite it clearly saying IWGP on the belt. It does not have the history/prestige/world title status since it is not a new title)

Lesnar lost this belt to Kurt Angle in an IGF event. Angle is now the Third Belt Championship holder.

IWGP has their own world championship now and Yuji Nagata is the current world champ.

Clear as mud, eh?

And according to Wiki, the Third Belt Championship will be on the line as part of the Samoa Joe/Angle all the titles match.

Maybe someone can explain this to me since I really havent seen an answer and dont really watch or care for TNA, is it a federation that allows all of its wrestlers to come and go as they please within other federations and promotions? Or do they have a select few that are their own and arent allowed to wrestle elsewhere? WWE doesnt allow their wrestlers to go anywhere other than Deep South and Ohio Valley, which are WWE-owned and operated right?

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 25, 2007 -> 09:34 PM)
Maybe someone can explain this to me since I really havent seen an answer and dont really watch or care for TNA, is it a federation that allows all of its wrestlers to come and go as they please within other federations and promotions? Or do they have a select few that are their own and arent allowed to wrestle elsewhere? WWE doesnt allow their wrestlers to go anywhere other than Deep South and Ohio Valley, which are WWE-owned and operated right?

TNA handles their indy bookings for them so they can get a supplement to their pay. Workers there are not allowed to do their own bookings.

WWE is exclusive to DSW, OVW and the E with a few exceptions (i.e. some one shots for Booker T's promotion, Carlito's relatives promotion one shots, etc.)

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jul 25, 2007 -> 09:40 PM)
TNA handles their indy bookings for them so they can get a supplement to their pay. Workers there are not allowed to do their own bookings.

WWE is exclusive to DSW, OVW and the E with a few exceptions (i.e. some one shots for Booker T's promotion, Carlito's relatives promotion one shots, etc.)

DSW is gone. They now have a development place in Florida, I believe.

Made another Benoit entry. Forgive the HTML.

Back to Benoit

John Kronus died on July eighteenth. He was a professional wrestler who wrestled in Extreme Championship Wrestling, Xtreme Pro Wrestling and the United States Wrestling Association, as well as a variety of independent federations, but he never made it to WWE. I bring up John Kronus because he died of an enlarged heart (possibly from steroids or drugs, but not for sure), and his death was brought up in the media as another example of a WWE employee dying young.

In an equally disturbing story, CW Network runs WWE's Smackdown! wrestling program and their President was asked whether or not Benoit's murder-suicide would affect their ratings. He said, "No," because Benoit has never been on Smackdown! which is obviously false as Benoit had only recently been moved from Smackdown! to ECW. How shameless is that? Either he doesn't have a clue what's on his show or he's lying about it. Either way, you've got to shake your head. There have been so many glaring examples of incompetence and dishonesty in the media that knowing about all of them will make you doubt the non-print press for the rest of your life.

Let's take Glen Beck's recent take on the matter. He starts by calling The Great American Bash, which is a WWE Pay-Per-View event every summer, the "All American Bash." He continues with a rant about how wrestling "glorifies" the worst violence of our society, the TVs on his background read, "WWF" despite the fact that the company's been under a different name for a long time now. He trashes the wrestlers as little more than "B-Movie actors" in "Spandex" (wonder what he'd call Reagan), completely discounting the obvious athleticism involved. Says that there's more athleticism in a "Jackass movie" than in wrestling (I say there are more facts in a Jackass movie than on his show) and then he adds that because of that, you can't call your event "The All American Bash" (fortunately they don't call it "All American Bash"). Then he pretends that he gives a damn about Nancy or Daniel Benoit by ranting about how terrible Chris's actions were, which they were, but the truth is that he doesn't care because if he did, he would be talking about doctors and the schedule they worked, not trashing the industry for ratings and kicks.

Beck, adding to his disgraceful rant, cited the misleading "62 wrestlers have died young statistics" and then started to babble about the industry. "Many of these sports entertainers come from troubled backgrounds," he said, talking about how wrestlers are generally bad people with bad histories. I say, first: Isn't that a lot of athletes? and then I say, How do you know what their histories are and why should we believe you? You don't even know the name of their PPV, let alone the histories of 'many' wrestlers, and probably not 'any,' either. He then said, "There are far more tragic endings than happy ones [in wrestling]" (how would he know?) and referred to the wrestlers as "trash-talking thugs," all of which conflicts (is he bashing wrestling? wrestlers?). You've got to believe a guy when he talks like that, though, because he's obviously done all of his homework. At least, that's what someone would believe until he started to speak with Mark Mero. First he called Mark "Jack," then he paused and said, "Mark" and then finally called him "Mike," which he repeated over and over.

He interviews him about the industry, along with a doctor (and, as I've said, there good points all around, but Mero is an opportunist and he's dishonest as well, as Lance Storm points out). The rest of the show isn't worth talking about.

There are other examples of media coverage being off in this whole ordeal, but you know the script by now, and so allow me to explain why I haven't been writing about this situation lately: I've been busy with work, and the news hasn't been particularly newsish with regard to this matter, so there you go. There are a few things that are going on with this situation, though, that I'd like to talk about.

First: Benoit was likely on steroids and the fact that he didn't test positive for them means nothing, just like his testing clean for Human Growth Hormone means nothing. It could simply mean that he was on the off-portion of a steroid user's cycle, or that the tests couldn't catch them after death, but it's fairly certain he was juiced up. Not that it has much, if anything, to do with the murder, but that's the consensus.

Second: there have been two interesting ideas floating around, and I'll express them as Two A and Two B.

Two A: Former Wrestler and Harvard alum Christopher Nowinski has speculated that Benoit's actions may have been influenced by concussions he suffered and knew about (or didn't). It's entirely possible. Concussions happen all the time in wrestling and Benoit was especially prone to them as he used to do a move called the Kamikaze Headbutt off the turnbuckles. It is a move that should be banned as it is unsafe for anyone to do, much like WWE has banned select moves that affect the cranium. I'm not sure I believe the concussions are a leading or even minimal cause, but it's definitely interesting and it certainly doesn't do him, or anyone, any good to live your life concussed.

Two B: The theory that Benoit killed himself to expose the wrestling business has been floated around by Bryan Alvarez and while it sounds ridiculous on the surface, it has some merit, I think. The theory is that Benoit was so disgusted by his best friend Eddie Guerrerro's death and the deaths of several other professional wrestlers that he decided it would be a good idea to kill his family and leave his steroids out in the open for everyone to see. Benoit, as has come out, destroyed a variety of family photos and documents on that fateful weekend but he did nothing to hide his drugs.

Isn't that interesting?

Not sure how true it is, as Benoit loved wrestling, but perhaps he loved it so much that he suffered through the deaths of so many friends and thought, "Someone has to blow the whistle and shake it up." What makes that theory less plausible to me, though, is that Benoit loved his wife and kid, despite whatever problems he had with Nancy. I still believe that Benoit killed her somewhat on accident and then lost his mind, but that theory, like all the others, has some issues (though I think it has the least amount).

Rumors are running that Benoit's diary has yet to be found but will be and if that's true, we might gain more insight into his thoughts.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jul 25, 2007 -> 10:30 PM)
Oh yes, yes they did. My bad.

Mark.

Everyone look at the "popular" NHL thread below. I thought the signing of Patrick Kane would light that thread up.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jul 25, 2007 -> 10:35 PM)
Mark.

Everyone look at the "popular" NHL thread below. I thought the signing of Patrick Kane would light that thread up.

What is this hockey you speak of?

And Glenn Beck is a troll who thinks he has anybody paying attention to his dumb ass. He was more entertaining playing clips of Farfour and the new Bee that's taken over for Farfour on Al Aqsa TV. He's more ignorant than Nancy Grace...which takes a lot of effort to be that f***ing stupid.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jul 25, 2007 -> 09:29 PM)
Samoa Joe is X Div and Tag Team Champ (cue Critic's fat jokes)

Angle is World Champ and IWGP Champ but there is controversy over the IWGP Title with Angle. But if you want a clusterf***, try to keep up with this story about the IWGP belt.

Originally Brock Lesnar had the IWGP Title and then he held up IWGP.

As a result, Lesnar was stripped of the title but refused to return the belt.

Antonio Inoki recognizes Lesnar's reign as legit and starts the Inoki Genome Federation with Lesnar as its champ, using the IWGP Title belt.

This belt of Lesnar's was known as the IGF Third Belt Championship (not the IWGP Title).

This is despite it clearly saying IWGP on the belt. It does not have the history/prestige/world title status since it is not a new title)

Lesnar lost this belt to Kurt Angle in an IGF event. Angle is now the Third Belt Championship holder.

IWGP has their own world championship now and Yuji Nagata is the current world champ.

Clear as mud, eh?

And according to Wiki, the Third Belt Championship will be on the line as part of the Samoa Joe/Angle all the titles match.

So the Third Belt is somewhat similar to the wCw title when Turner split from the NWA? Sort of? That's what the IWGP situation you spelled out reminds me of.

Or maybe more like the Shane Douglas/NWA/ECW title situation, or a combo of both.

Either way, it's a little goofy to have IWGP boldly stamped on a belt you don't recognize as the IWGP title belt.

And don't compromise the sanctity of the private message, LCR! I haven't made any "one-man tag team" cracks on the board yet about Joe. :D

I'm actually turning the corner just a little bit on Joe - I still don't think he's the GAWD he's made out to be in a lot of the "wrestling insider world", but I am enjoying his work more than I used to.

Edited by The Critic

QUOTE(Brian @ Jul 26, 2007 -> 07:29 AM)
Wait, I thought Angle and Joe were tag champs? Just Joe is? TNA gets worse and continues to take all meaning away from their titles.

Yeah, they had this goofy match where whoever won the match won the title of the person they pinned.

Joe pinned one of 3D (can't remember which one) so he alone is the tag team champions.

Now Joe and Angle are having a match where the winner wins all the TNA titles, plus the IWGP Third Belt or whatever.

:huh :huh: :unsure: