Official Squared Circle Thread

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 06:57 AM)
It's......The Paulie Awards!!!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport...icle2083736.ece

I'd have liked him to call them the Paul E. Awards, but that's splitting hairs.

I agree with just about all of this. I wish I had the money to start a small promotion, he'd get the first call to help me run it.

Well not money wise...

Long story short, he needs to get back into wrestling.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 08:32 PM)
You can tell they are setting up for the return of Christian on Smackdown. I could see Jeff Hardy vs. Christian at Mania.

As could I. If I were to book the angle, I'd have Christian make his return at the Rumble (if he signs in time). He'd screw Hardy out of the title, setting up such a match.

Glad everything turned out ok.....

Recently, Stevie Richards suffered a collapsed lung that resulted when doctors were trying to diagnose a lung infection causing him to have a chest tube inserted for several days. He was back in the gym after two days and is scheduled to appear for NWA No Limits on 1-9-09.

QUOTE (juddling @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 07:56 AM)
Glad everything turned out ok.....

Recently, Stevie Richards suffered a collapsed lung that resulted when doctors were trying to diagnose a lung infection causing him to have a chest tube inserted for several days. He was back in the gym after two days and is scheduled to appear for NWA No Limits on 1-9-09.

Stevie Richards has some of the worst health luck in the industry. Just wierd stuff happens to him consistently

Critic, I cant wait to watch tonite, I was wondering how long they would wait.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 05:37 PM)
Stevie Richards has some of the worst health luck in the industry. Just wierd stuff happens to him consistently

Critic, I cant wait to watch tonite, I was wondering how long they would wait.

I wonder if there was indecision or if it was a scripted thing to delay this.

And I agree about Stevie, he's been snakebitten health-wise. Solid midcard guy, good at putting people over and was especially good in the Right To Censor angle.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 05:41 PM)
I wonder if there was indecision or if it was a scripted thing to delay this.

And I agree about Stevie, he's been snakebitten health-wise. Solid midcard guy, good at putting people over and was especially good in the Right To Censor angle.

I have been kind of hot/cold watching RAW recently, has there been a "Mystery guy coming" buildup on the show indicating someone is coming in soon?

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 05:57 PM)
I have been kind of hot/cold watching RAW recently, has there been a "Mystery guy coming" buildup on the show indicating someone is coming in soon?

Not really, but here is the possible scenario:

Talk is that Christian will be revealed as the guy who attacked Hardy at the hotel earlier in the year, the day of the Survivor Series IIRC.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 06:13 PM)
Not really, but here is the possible scenario:

Talk is that Christian will be revealed as the guy who attacked Hardy at the hotel earlier in the year, the day of the Survivor Series IIRC.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. Makes sense

I usually hate the sports guy but he had an article on wrestling in ESPN the mag. I always knew he was a huge fan because he references it a lot. Anyways, he says he has stopped watching since the Benoit thing (which I don't believe him, but whatever). This made him realize how punished the wrestlers are, etc. As a solution he suggested an offseason for wrestling. I thought it was interesting, and, in addition to freshening up the wrestlers, I think it would certainly freshen up the storylines. Maybe end it with SummerSlam for 3 or 4 months, then have a big "opening day" Raw and lead into the Rumble as your big event. I think it would work, as I believe some fans need a break just as the performers do.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 09:34 PM)
I usually hate the sports guy but he had an article on wrestling in ESPN the mag. I always knew he was a huge fan because he references it a lot. Anyways, he says he has stopped watching since the Benoit thing (which I don't believe him, but whatever). This made him realize how punished the wrestlers are, etc. As a solution he suggested an offseason for wrestling. I thought it was interesting, and, in addition to freshening up the wrestlers, I think it would certainly freshen up the storylines. Maybe end it with SummerSlam for 3 or 4 months, then have a big "opening day" Raw and lead into the Rumble as your big event. I think it would work, as I believe some fans need a break just as the performers do.

It's an interesting thought, but maybe Vince worries that if you force the average wrestling fans to find something else to do, they wouldn't come back.

I was thinking perhaps stagger the offseason for each brand, but then the backstage politics would go crazy when "draft time" came around.

An offseason for wrestling is just a horrible idea.. the best thing to do would to just eliminate house shows all together and just have Smackdown and Raw

Also, I was looking at wrestlezone and they had a stat from 2008 with win/loss records and percentages.. I don't know if this is going to be surprising or not, but Triple H went 125-20 in 2008

QUOTE (Shadows @ Jan 6, 2009 -> 09:56 AM)
Also, I was looking at wrestlezone and they had a stat from 2008 with win/loss records and percentages.. I don't know if this is going to be surprising or not, but Triple H went 125-20 in 2008

Heck yea I'm surprised by Trip's record........surprised he let himself lose 20 times last year :lolhitting

So I was bummed about no Christian on Raw until I thought about it and remembered that if they're going to work him into a storyline with Jeff Hardy (and by extension, Edge) he would appear on SmackDown anyway.

SPOILER ALERT:

From Lords of Pain, via f4wonline.com:

An angle involving Jeff Hardy and his fiancée Beth will be inserted into this Friday's edition of SmackDown. WWE is doing an angle where Hardy and his fiancée are injured in a hit-and-run auto accident in the WWE Champion's hometown of Cameron, North Carolina. Christian Cage will likely be revealed as the perpetrator when the time comes to be. Jeff will be okay, but his fiancée will apparently be seriously injured in the storyline. The angle is a bit surprising as Hardy's fiancée has always wanted to be out of the spotlight.

I'm surprised WWE would introduce Hardy's fiancee into an angle, since a vast majority of his fans seem to be girls, who might not like seeing [green]that he's not available for them.[end green]

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 6, 2009 -> 08:08 AM)
Or they could give each guy a two or three month vacation each year. I suppose it would be tough to write into the stories, but it seems possible.

I dont think it would be all that difficult to write them in and out of the stories. The writers basically have to do it anyways with all of the injuries these guys sustain on a regular basis. Maybe a break for them would help them avoid some of the injuries caused by nagging pains that are often ignored.

I don't think the WWE's product is strong enough to have an off-season. Sure they have their "brands" and they could have different off-seasons but with them not allowing to take indy bookings, it'll be hard for some of the younger guys to make a name for themselves.

Shadows has the right idea with there only being Raw & Smackdown shows. That or i'd lmit the amount of house shows that takes place.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jan 6, 2009 -> 01:38 PM)
I dont think it would be all that difficult to write them in and out of the stories. The writers basically have to do it anyways with all of the injuries these guys sustain on a regular basis. Maybe a break for them would help them avoid some of the injuries caused by nagging pains that are often ignored.

I guess there would also be the potential problem of paying them during their vacations. I'm sure most wrestlers would want to get paid as much as possible, and who knows if Vince would be willing to pay them during that time.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 6, 2009 -> 02:25 PM)
I guess there would also be the potential problem of paying them during their vacations. I'm sure most wrestlers would want to get paid as much as possible, and who knows if Vince would be willing to pay them during that time.

highly highly doubtful. Unless your name is Triple H