Films Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 08:24 AM)
My question is, did Zombie really need to add a brutal gang rape to the film? It just seemed so unnecessary.

In test screenings he tried to use it as an excuse as to why MM was so effed up. I agree it didn't need to stay in after that idea flopped, but I really don't have a solid opinion until I see the finished product.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 09:06 AM)
Did you know Suspiria is being remade? Slated for release in 2008? These are exactly the type of films which should be pursued. Give the American public a taste of a movie they're unfamiliar with, while simultaneously shifting attention towards the original version.

The Suspiria remake pisses me off more than any other probably. That is one that just CAN'T be re-done. It's Argento, in his prime. His style, his direction, is what makes it work. You can't tell me it's a great story that can be told again and again. The story is simple, it's what he did with the look that makes it a classic. It would be like remaking The Beyond almost. There is very little story, it was just an excuse for a director to show off his skills with atmosphere, color, and intense shocks.

The other aspect of a Suspiria remake, who would they get to do the soundtrack? Hire Goblin again and you are obviously "remaking" it and fully intending comparisons. Don't hire them and you lose one of the key ingredients to what made the movie work.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 09:38 AM)
The Suspiria remake pisses me off more than any other probably. That is one that just CAN'T be re-done. It's Argento, in his prime. His style, his direction, is what makes it work. You can't tell me it's a great story that can be told again and again. The story is simple, it's what he did with the look that makes it a classic. It would be like remaking The Beyond almost. There is very little story, it was just an excuse for a director to show off his skills with atmosphere, color, and intense shocks.

The other aspect of a Suspiria remake, who would they get to do the soundtrack? Hire Goblin again and you are obviously "remaking" it and fully intending comparisons. Don't hire them and you lose one of the key ingredients to what made the movie work.

Several good points you draw upon. Particulary the Goblin's score, which is probably one of the most haunting soundtracks I've ever heard.

It should be noted that films such as Fulci's Beyond and Argento's Suspiria are foreign equivalents of Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Halloween. You and I know, but anyone who doesn't these are well known abroad.

My reasoning here is really not to attempt a remake to improve both films -- because that's unlikely -- but somehow infuse newer ideas, newer direction, into these movies to update them for a newer generation. The original will always be there. Hell, if it's bad, more the reason to appreciate Argento. Whom, by the way, has finished production on "The Third Mother," the final movie in the series which features Suspiria and Inferno.

The expectations will be high for those who appreciate Suspiria. The difference between remaking Suspiria and Halloween is the American public is far less familiar with Suspiria. It may not guarantee returns in the box office (which alone would be enough for must studios), but the artistic license is limitless. IMO, that's reason alone to try and venture down that path. We've already tapped the Asian market -- why not the European as well? Demons is just waiting to be remade. :D

Here's my one condition, though: no one touches The Cemetary Man (Dellamorte Dellamore). Only because the film is fairly recent and has held up time better than other European films.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 10:05 AM)
Several good points you draw upon. Particulary the Goblin's score, which is probably one of the most haunting soundtracks I've ever heard.

It should be noted that films such as Fulci's Beyond and Argento's Suspiria are foreign equivalents of Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Halloween. You and I know, but anyone who doesn't these are well known abroad.

My reasoning here is really not to attempt a remake to improve both films -- because that's unlikely -- but somehow infuse newer ideas, newer direction, into these movies to update them for a newer generation. The original will always be there. Hell, if it's bad, more the reason to appreciate Argento. Whom, by the way, has finished production on "The Third Mother," the final movie in the series which features Suspiria and Inferno.

The expectations will be high for those who appreciate Suspiria. The difference between remaking Suspiria and Halloween is the American public is far less familiar with Suspiria. It may not guarantee returns in the box office (which alone would be enough for must studios), but the artistic license is limitless. IMO, that's reason alone to try and venture down that path. We've already tapped the Asian market -- why not the European as well? Demons is just waiting to be remade. :D

Here's my one condition, though: no one touches The Cemetary Man (Dellamorte Dellamore). Only because the film is fairly recent and has held up time better than other European films.

ANYBODY touches ANYTHING done by Soavi and I will have SERIOUS problems, especially Dellamorte.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 11:33 AM)
ANYBODY touches ANYTHING done by Soavi and I will have SERIOUS problems, especially Dellamorte.

Have you seen The Church? I loved it. Effective atmosphere, terrible script; about everything you'd expect from European horror. Including a young Asia Argento. :headbang

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 06:28 AM)
Variety ripped the new Halloween. Supposedly Zombie takes all the mystery out of Meyers and turns the film into a blood and guts fest. I understand that Variety just doesn't like Horror, but everything in the review tells me that Zombie just doesn't "get it" when it comes to Halloween. Let him do remakes of the films he was obviously most influenced by, stuff like Last House On The Left and I Spit On Your Grave. I'll see this one on a double bill with the Texas Chainsaw and Psycho remakes. That means "never".

Can we wait until it comes out to slam it?

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 07:38 AM)

Dude, chill out. Foreign films, even foreign classics - SHOULD be remade for American audiences. It doesn't do anything to the original. They're still there.

The Magnificent Seven, Star Wars, The Ring, The Grudge, etc - all remakes that should have been made. They should remake Inferno, the Stendhal Syndrome, Deep Red next. There's money to be made - why not?

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 08:58 AM)
A studio copy was relased and from what I saw it's not even close to all "blood and gore". Variety hasn't "gotten" horror films in a long time so the review isn't a surprise.

O.K. Here is Fangoria:

http://www.fangoria.com/ghastly_review.php

Here is Dread Central:

http://www.dreadcentral.com/index.php?name...ent&id=1608

Obviously judge for yourself if you wish. But for myself, one who was not very interested in a remake of this film to begin with, I will trust the words of these two places. Especially since Dread Central is a BIG R. Zombie supporter, and it was Michael Gingold to do the Fango review.

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 01:08 PM)
Dude, chill out.

LOL! Trust me, I'm perfectly fine. But thanks.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 12:18 PM)
O.K. Here is Fangoria:

http://www.fangoria.com/ghastly_review.php

Here is Dread Central:

http://www.dreadcentral.com/index.php?name...ent&id=1608

Obviously judge for yourself if you wish. But for myself, one who was not very interested in a remake of this film to begin with, I will trust the words of these two places. Especially since Dread Central is a BIG R. Zombie supporter, and it was Michael Gingold to do the Fango review.

That does call into question it's suckiness for sure.

Hmm, alot of the reviews read the same so far. Zombie couldn't decide between remaking the original, or making a prequel, so he did a sham job of doing both. Dampens my excitement over the project a little bit.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 03:15 PM)
Hmm, alot of the reviews read the same so far. Zombie couldn't decide between remaking the original, or making a prequel, so he did a sham job of doing both. Dampens my excitement over the project a little bit.

I thought it was pretty good, but man it was like no one in the theater had seen the first.. there was a lot of stuff you could see coming but they were not only surprised but acted like it was the first time they had seen it

Went to see Death Sentence last night. It had a couple of good sequences (the chase scene to the parking garage was well done), but overall I was very disappointed. There was a lot of unintentional laughter in the theatre.

What's the difference between that movie and Death Wish?

Balls of Fury SUCKED. Hardly laughed at all. It was more of a chinese Mr. Magoo film.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 1, 2007 -> 08:50 AM)
Went to see Death Sentence last night. It had a couple of good sequences (the chase scene to the parking garage was well done), but overall I was very disappointed. There was a lot of unintentional laughter in the theatre.

I can't believe they are releasing the sequel a few weeks later. It stars Jodie Foster.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Sep 2, 2007 -> 11:40 AM)
I can't believe they are releasing the sequel a few weeks later. It stars Jodie Foster.

Ain't that the truth.

My wife loves Jodie Foster and she was excited to see her new movie.....UNTIL we saw a few commercials and realized that it will be exactly the same as Death Sentence.

She says she might still see it just because of Jodie, but she's way less excited about it now.

The wife and I took the kids to see Underdog the other day. Surprisingly enough it wasn't too bad and had a few moments that were just down right funny. Patrick Warburton was his standard great (if not typical) self. He just does that character so dang well that if you like him, he will always be good. Jason Lee is also just solid as the title character.

The reason it is live action, and not a cartoon (or at least as I understood it) was that the cartoon was a show telling the adventures of the real life Underdog. The name the dog is given by the family is actually a nice little way of working in the occupation of Underdog in the cartoon.

The critics that matter most in this type of movie (my kids) loved the flick.