Films Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 14, 2009 -> 11:50 AM)
I watched Do The Right Thing for the first time yesterday. After watching it, I honestly can't see Spike Lee's anger at not being nominated for Best Picture.

Also, Danny Aiello was great it in.

That was an excellent, excellent movie. He should have ended his career with it.

Watched Munich today, it had been on the pile for a while. Considering you knew what you were going to get, it was a very good film. Well acted, just enough reality feel, dealt with all the issues it should have... glad I watched it.

Ciaran Hinds is one of my favorite non-star actors, by the way. I've now seen him play characters that were Irish, Russian, Jewish/Israeli, and American, and did well with all of them.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 16, 2009 -> 09:36 AM)
That was an excellent, excellent movie. He should have ended his career with it.

You havent liked any more of Spike's films? He is probably my favorite movie maker of all time. Clockers is the best one of all, he broke some ground in the way a scene is shot in that film.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 14, 2009 -> 09:50 AM)
I watched Do The Right Thing for the first time yesterday. After watching it, I honestly can't see Spike Lee's anger at not being nominated for Best Picture.

Also, Danny Aiello was great it in.

Well, it's that whole 15 years later, which is the more important film argument.

The other nominees: Born on the Fourth of July, Dead Poets Society, Driving Miss Daisy, Field of Dreams, My Left Foot.

I'd take Do the Right Thing over Driving Miss Daisy (which won - and possibly also pissed off Lee, for its subservient Uncle Tom-like Danny Glover character), and My Left Foot. We could argue about whether it's a better film than Fourth of July, Dead Poets Society, and Field of Dreams - it's certainly, from an academic perspective, a more important film than those - but it deserves to be in that group to even have the conversation.

Edited by longshot7

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 06:48 PM)
I have to say, I wasn't that impressed by "Dead Poets Society." Why must Robin Williams always get a scene where he does really quick impressions of people?

You’ve just called Robin Williams out on the one thing that made his career. Well played. Seriously, apart from the occasional (decent) dramatic performance (Good Will Hunting, One Hour Photo) the ADHD impression thing is all he has going for him.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 17, 2009 -> 10:08 AM)
I watched American Gangster for the first time this weekend and really enjoyed it.

Saw it a couple of nights ago also, and enjoyed it also.

Didn't think Washington was as good as he was in Training Day for instance, but it was a decent enough storyline.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 01:57 PM)
I know a lot of people don't agree, but I like "Tropic Thunder" a lot. I think if Downey and Cruise weren't in it, it would of been awful.

But I like it.

Agreed.

I only really cracked up laughing at 2 bits in the film;

1 - Where Alpo Chino is insulting Lazarus calling him Kangaroo Jack, throw a shrimp on the barby etc.

2 - Where Downey tries to speak Vietnamese to that little kid, and ends up using words like constipated a lot.

I also watched 21 for about the 3rd time in the past month last night.

Good film I thought with an absolute class soundtrack (Time to Pretend from MGMT and Young Folks from Peter Bjorn and John for instance).

Jim Sturgess reminds me of a taller version of myself also (for some reason).

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 19, 2009 -> 09:39 AM)
I also watched 21 for about the 3rd time in the past month last night.

Good film I thought with an absolute class soundtrack (Time to Pretend from MGMT and Young Folks from Peter Bjorn and John for instance).

Jim Sturgess reminds me of a taller version of myself also (for some reason).

21 was unbearable. Felt like a film made for the USA network.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 19, 2009 -> 12:30 PM)
21 was unbearable. Felt like a film made for the USA network.

All of my housemates who watched it last night with me quite liked it as well.

What didn't you like about it?