Films Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 11, 2009 -> 10:46 PM)
Saw Star Trek, loved it. Best space scifi film since Serenity.

We've got tickets for an IMAX showing on Saturday. Looking forward to it.

And I loved Serenity - I hadn't seen Firefly before then, but bought the DVD of the series after seeing Serenity. Really a shame that show got killed off - seems like it got popular just after that.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 8, 2009 -> 08:39 PM)
I have never been a Star Trek fan. I have never seen an entire episode of any Star Trek series. I have never seen a Star Trek movie.

J.J. Abrams' Star Trek was beyond enjoyable. It was one of the best movies I have ever seen.

The way they incorporated Leonard Nimoy was beyond brilliant.

I implore all non-fans of the series to check this out... it's awesome. Those of you who are, I presume you'll be putting the pants you s*** in in the washing machine when you return.

What an awesome movie.

I loved it too - but my friend that I went with HATED it. I went in very skeptical as well, but it just worked for me. Great casting, great story, great action.

Just got done wasting my time with "My Son" starring Angelina Jolie. Man that movie was a mess.

I loved it too - but my friend that I went with HATED it. I went in very skeptical as well, but it just worked for me. Great casting, great story, great action.

What about the costumes?

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ May 12, 2009 -> 08:12 PM)
Just got done wasting my time with "My Son" starring Angelina Jolie. Man that movie was a mess.

What about the costumes?

HORRIBLE!!!! It was the only thing that didn't work. Those blue, yellow, red shirts don't work in a more realistic setting. Why do you think they had Kirk in a black shirt for the majority of the film? And Uhura's miniskirt and go-go boots in the future? Are you kidding me?

They were that bad, but it didn't detract from the film.

Ebert review of Star Trek

I understand the Star Trek science has never been intended as plausible. I understand this is not science fiction but an Ark movie using a starship. I understand that the character types are as familiar as your favorite slippers. But the franchise has become much of a muchness. The new movie essentially intends to reboot the franchise with younger characters and carry on as before. The movie deals with narrative housekeeping. Perhaps the next one will engage these characters in a more challenging and devious story, one more about testing their personalities than re-establishing them.

EDIT: Just saw bmags already posted it. Whoops.

Edited by BobDylan

I watched Undertow, a David Gordon Green film from a few years back, last night and enjoyed it. Not my favorite of his but it definitely exceeded my expectations because it wasn't as well received as his other films. His films all have a very unique feel and mood to them so if you're looking for something different than the standard Hollywood blockbusters I would recommend anyone to check them out.

You can also count me as another person who has never seen anything Star Trek but I will be seeing the new one soon based on all the good things I've heard and read.

QUOTE (BobDylan @ May 13, 2009 -> 03:10 PM)
Ebert review of Star Trek

EDIT: Just saw bmags already posted it. Whoops.

What the hell did he expect from a re-boot? Had they not re-established the characters, the 85% of us who always thought Star Trek was lame as hell and never gave it a shot would not have enjoyed it nearly as much.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 13, 2009 -> 06:48 PM)
What the hell did he expect from a re-boot? Had they not re-established the characters, the 85% of us who always thought Star Trek was lame as hell and never gave it a shot would not have enjoyed it nearly as much.

"The movie deals with narrative housekeeping." Sounds to me, as the rest of the article suggests, the story was unimaginative and boring. I haven't seen any episodes or the movie itself, but I imagine there is an amount of truth to it. After all, you thought Star Trek was lame as hell, yet still found yourself sitting at the theater watching it. Imagine if it handed you what Ebert asks for, instead.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 13, 2009 -> 09:13 PM)
Anyone ever see Green Street Houligans? I saw it the other day, and I thought it was great.

Yeah I saw it a few months back, excellent movie.

And btw, Star Trek IS lame as hell and I wont be watching this one either.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 13, 2009 -> 10:13 PM)
Anyone ever see Green Street Houligans? I saw it the other day, and I thought it was great.

Is that the one with the pool players or the one about the rugby.

An elaboration of what Ebert was talking about. The reboot of the batman and to a much lesser extent, Bond franchise, saw them re evaluate the character. Batman was no longer an absolute moral figure, he was dark and tested by power and revenge. Bond seemed to enjoy destruction and anarchy, seen more as a loose cannon than before. That's kind of what he's speaking to.

I went and saw Star Trek tonight.

Note: I do not own a book, game, or DVD/VHS collection of the TV series' or any movies; I do not go to conventions or dress up.

I do know relations with a woman and I do not dislike JJ Abrams.

I have, however, read books, watched movies, watched many tv episodes.

I liked it overall, but I didn't really care for

them changing some things about the franchise's history.

I can get over the idea of the original NCC-1701 not being destroyed and the NCC-1701-A not being Kirk's first ship.

I can understand Pike surviving in a better state than the series.

I didn't really care for Kirk not being born in Iowa and his dad dying.

The Spock/Uhura thing was a bit unsettling.

The "Vulcan planet blowing up/ Spock's mom dying" part really seemed just...not right, though.

I wish that there would have been a way to undo Nero's changes to Star Trek history.

I'll let Balta read this after he sees it, so he can agree or disagree with me.

I give it a solid 3 stars as a movie, but people who know the series' history will not like it as much as a casual movie-goer.