Films Thread

Chisoxfn

There will be several more installments in the series after this. I'm actually looking forward to it, because after the abuse this movie has received it'll force them to hire writers that are capable of telling a story.

Although, from some of the reviews I've read it reminds me of a moment in the movie, "The Heckler." It's a film about audience hecklers and their presence in the standup comedy world. Jamie Kennedy noted that it has not just become a review of the movie good or bad, but a competition to see who can throw out the most unique insult of a movie. I'll admit some are funny, but really, that's not the job of a film reviewer. It was discussed here on Soxtalk at one point, too. Just give the review, say why it was good or bad, and leave the comments to IMDB message boards.

This is going to be a film people are going to love to hate. Yesterday I noticed it was at 23% on the Rotten Tomatoes counter. This was, admittingly, with a handful of reviews. It has now risen about 13 percentage points. Still bad.

It's not "The Heckler," just "Heckler." I thought it was good when it actually focused on audience hecklers but then he used the last part of the movie to complain about Rotten Tomatoes and fans on the internet. Oh boo f***ing hoo if nobody like "Son of the Mask."

"Night at the Museum 2" looks horrible as well.

Edited by santo=dorf

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 20, 2009 -> 02:51 PM)
Can I make a confession? I've never seen any of the terminator movies.

I'm not alone.

Also, I saw Angels & Demons this past weekend and it was alright. I'll probably never watch it again but it kept me entertained throughout. I've also never read the book and both my friends who have read it said they didn't really care for the movie.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 20, 2009 -> 06:04 PM)
I'll make a confession too. I liked Terminator 3. The ending was one of the ballsiest things i've seen in film

Agreed. The ending was was what redeemed the film, and set the stage for what I hoped were great post-apocalyptic things to come for the franchise.

I've just got to not let the negative reviews sway me entirely before I see the new one for myself.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 20, 2009 -> 02:28 PM)
Got free passes to see Terminator tonight at midnight. Probably a mistake seeing I have to go to work at 4:30am. Lukcily there is a Dunkin Donuts open 24/7 in Gurnee.

4:30am?!? Jeez, how long does it take for Corn Dogs to cook at Great America???

:D

QUOTE (RibbieRubarb @ May 21, 2009 -> 08:57 AM)
4:30am?!? Jeez, how long does it take for Corn Dogs to cook at Great America???

:D

That's my night job.

I ended up not going. Oh well.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ May 20, 2009 -> 05:12 PM)
Agreed. The ending was was what redeemed the film, and set the stage for what I hoped were great post-apocalyptic things to come for the franchise.

I've just got to not let the negative reviews sway me entirely before I see the new one for myself.

Really?? I thought the ending was incredibly corny and predictable. I enjoyed all the action scenes and what not, but overall very dissapointing movie and Bale did not do a good job at all.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ May 21, 2009 -> 06:20 PM)
Really?? I thought the ending was incredibly corny and predictable. I enjoyed all the action scenes and what not, but overall very dissapointing movie and Bale did not do a good job at all.

Perhaps it was predictable, but I'd hardly call nuclear annihilation of human civilization corny.

[Just making sure were both talking about T3 here and not Salvation, because that is the ending Thunderbolt and I were referencing - but reading your post you may be talking about Salvation].

There were only ever two possible endings — they either changed the future and prevented Judgement Day or they didn't. For me the cornier, easier ending by far would have been humanity triumphing. We've known from the outset of the franchise that Judgement Day has to occur at some point along the temporal continuity or the events of the earlier films wouldn't have happened. The T3 storyline decided to depict that continuity (and set the stage for machines vs. human resistance sequels which I've been wating for ever since despite the early bad reviews of the new one).

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ May 21, 2009 -> 06:05 PM)
Perhaps it was predictable, but I'd hardly call nuclear annihilation of human civilization corny.

[Just making sure were both talking about T3 here and not Salvation, because that is the ending Thunderbolt and I were referencing - but reading your post you may be talking about Salvation].

There were only ever two possible endings — they either changed the future and prevented Judgement Day or they didn't. For me the cornier, easier ending by far would have been humanity triumphing. We've known from the outset of the franchise that Judgement Day has to occur at some point along the temporal continuity or the events of the earlier films wouldn't have happened. The T3 storyline decided to depict that continuity (and set the stage for machines vs. human resistance sequels which I've been wating for ever since despite the early bad reviews of the new one).

My mistake, I was talking about the newest one, yeah T3 didnt get great reviews but I actually enjoyed it.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:25 PM)
Remember the girl that played the TX was suppose to become a big star after that? I think she does TV movies on SciFi.

That said, I'd hit it.

I believe she's a lesbian, Brian. I'm sorry for your loss.

The reviews were spot on about Terminator Salvation, particularly about the lack of character development in anyone. It just wasn't an enjoyable movie. Even though I didn't expect much coming in, it was one of those films that despite everything I've heard about it, I had to see it for myself.

I thought the entire Harvester at the gas station scene was great, but aside from that, it was incredibly dull. Is this the best that anyone could do with the material? Maybe it's just me, but I would have preferred a story that began with John and his wife inside the underground bunker at the end of T3, leading up to their arrival in the resistance. Not the alternative we're presented with.

Also, and I don't know if this is a spoiler so I'll tag it:

Skynet is a cold, calculating machine, right? So why do they even bother holding Kyle Reese captive? Why not just kill him on the spot, since he is their #1 most wanted person? For machines capable of producing artificial intelligence they sure do stupid things. When I was watching the movie I thought, if Skynet was real it'd probably come to the conclusion that if you have Kyle Reese and John Connor in one spot at one time, destroying oneself would be worthwhile and it'd just nuke itself.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 22, 2009 -> 03:40 PM)
Who's writing it? Ramis, i assume?

Article says the screenplay will be by Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky, but it sounds like it's based on Aykroyd's script for a third film. Ramis may direct.

The first film was outstanding and the second one was fun. I have less than no interest at all in seeing a third installment more than 20 years after the last one. Fat, old, wine-hawking, UFO-chasing Dan Aykroyd just depresses me.