Films Thread

Chisoxfn

I didn't have a fresh meory of the ghostbusters movie and remember playing with the toys (I didn't own them,) and watched both movies a couple of weeks ago. I thought the first was OK and highly overrated (only one good line about having no dick,) and the second was if a mobile Statue of Liberty took a giant s***. That was horrible.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ May 22, 2009 -> 04:17 PM)
I didn't have a fresh meory of the ghostbusters movie and remember playing with the toys (I didn't own them,) and watched both movies a couple of weeks ago. I thought the first was OK and highly overrated (only one good line about having no dick,) and the second was if a mobile Statue of Liberty took a giant s***. That was horrible.

They needed the Statue of Liberty to bust into the museum because Triple H, I mean Vigo, has it sealed up with pink slim that fed off the negativity of New Yorkers. Totally plausible!!

QUOTE (Brian @ May 22, 2009 -> 02:44 PM)
They needed the Statue of Liberty to bust into the museum because Triple H, I mean Vigo, has it sealed up with pink slim that fed off the negativity of New Yorkers. Totally plausible!!

You're watching a movie called "Ghostbusters" and your concern is that it isn't plausible?

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ May 22, 2009 -> 03:47 PM)
Article says the screenplay will be by Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky, but it sounds like it's based on Aykroyd's script for a third film. Ramis may direct.

Those two are writers for the Office so this thing has a lot of potential.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ May 22, 2009 -> 09:42 AM)
The reviews were spot on about Terminator Salvation, particularly about the lack of character development in anyone. It just wasn't an enjoyable movie. Even though I didn't expect much coming in, it was one of those films that despite everything I've heard about it, I had to see it for myself.

I thought the entire Harvester at the gas station scene was great, but aside from that, it was incredibly dull. Is this the best that anyone could do with the material? Maybe it's just me, but I would have preferred a story that began with John and his wife inside the underground bunker at the end of T3, leading up to their arrival in the resistance. Not the alternative we're presented with.

Also, and I don't know if this is a spoiler so I'll tag it:

Skynet is a cold, calculating machine, right? So why do they even bother holding Kyle Reese captive? Why not just kill him on the spot, since he is their #1 most wanted person? For machines capable of producing artificial intelligence they sure do stupid things. When I was watching the movie I thought, if Skynet was real it'd probably come to the conclusion that if you have Kyle Reese and John Connor in one spot at one time, destroying oneself would be worthwhile and it'd just nuke itself.

Holding Kyle Reese captive was for Marcus' sake. If he got to Skynet and found out Reese was dead he would have relayed the message to Connor. The machines wanted Reese first, and then Connor....if Connor didn't (time paradox) die when they killed Reese, they would have needed Connor there to kill him as a backup plan. He wouldn't have shown up if Marcus had relayed the message "Reese is dead", and the machines wouldn't have gotten Connor. That was the whole point of Helena Bonham Carter's character. She had to have been sent from the future, and her purpose was to get a human and turn them into a hybrid...to get that thing that was missing with the other terminators, "Heart" or feelings/emotion, truth to the eyes. Marcus was there to help John Connor get Reese, and at the same time without knowing it, help the machines get Connor and Reese together so they could kill them.

something I posted on IMDB

Just kill Reese? So what happens when Kyle dies? How do you explain Connors influence on events up to that point? Would the Universe just implode/explode? Skynet couldn't have known what would happened....maybe If Reese is killed, a butterfly effect happens and Skynet is never created, or maybe the Universe does explode...you think Skynet would take that chance. Safe bet for Skynet would be to lure Connor in (by using Marcus btw, which was the whole point of his character. He was able to be something the other terminators weren't able to be...Human)and then Kill Connor. After that, do whatever they want to Reese, cause Connor isn't there to save the day or make the decision to send Reese back in time.

Lack of character development for anyone????? We already know about two of the main characters Reese and Connor. I'll give you that Marcus and Blair's characters had almost no development. Bryce Dallas Howard was wasted I think, she got too little screen time. And the other characters are just filler...to just be there, didn't really need to know their backstory.

I give the movie a solid 6-6.5 out of 10. If better writers are brought in with a better director for the inevitable sequel and they can expand on what the first one brought, maybe it makes T4 a little better. Who knows....I don't think it was as bad as a lot of reviewers are saying.

Anybody notice how small a part Terry Crews got....I thought it'd be a little bigger.

Edited by onedude

Terminator was what is was. Summer, popcorn fun. When I look back on it, it had NO first act.

Some of the dialogue was cheesy and how many times can you say, "John Connor" in one movie.

I really didn't think it was as bad as some people made it out to be. As long as you don't have any big expectations, you may enjoy it.

I liked some of the little throwbacks to T2, like the Guns N Roses song.

Also, something I was debating with my buddy on the way home.

Didn't they blow up Cyberdyne before it took if in T2? Thought Judgement Day was just caused by Skynet sans Cyberdyne. Whatever.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 23, 2009 -> 12:02 AM)

Meh, old Bill Murray, fat Dan Aykroyd, and past-her-expiration-date Sogourney Weaver just don't add up to a good Ghostbusters installment.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ May 23, 2009 -> 08:54 AM)
Meh, old Bill Murray, fat Dan Aykroyd, and past-her-expiration-date Sogourney Weaver just don't add up to a good Ghostbusters installment.

These kinds of sequels (ones done well after the original movies) have a much greater chance of being bad than good (don't get me started on Blues Brothers 2000). However, it could be interesting if they hand it off to a new group of ghostbusters, and the writing is good.

In the article posted earlier, it sounds like the original cast might not be the focus of the entire movie.

Aykroyd would like to see Ivan Reitman or Harold Ramis direct and is hoping to introduce a new generation Ghostbusters team with female members.

"I'd like it to be a passing-of-the-torch movie. Let's revisit the old characters briefly and happily and have them there as family but let's pass it on to a new generation,” he said.

I'm still skeptical but slightly optimistic (...or is that nostalgia creeping in?)

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 23, 2009 -> 12:02 AM)

That show hasn't been funny for a couple seasons, IMO.

I love Ghostbusters 1, but a 3rd isn't intriguing. We will see.

My wife and I saw Angels and Demons yesterday. We both enjoyed it. It's not the best movie you'll ever see, but it is definitely better than The DaVinci Code. All in all, a good summer popcorn flick.

Saw the Night At The Museum sequel.

I liked it overall.

It's a solid kids/general entertainment film.

Adults who see this movie unaccompanied by a child should sign up pronto for therapy with Gabriel Byrne on In Treatment. -Peter Travers

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ May 24, 2009 -> 11:49 AM)
Adults who see this movie unaccompanied by a child should sign up pronto for therapy with Gabriel Byrne on In Treatment. -Peter Travers

You never saw Amy Adams' backside in stretch pants, then.

Yowza.

QUOTE (onedude @ May 22, 2009 -> 05:45 PM)

Ugh, this movie looks so ridiculously bad. I Robot bad.

Whats with all the robot movies coming out?

Terminator and Transformers are cool but the rest are just lame.

Terminator Salvation Review, by an actual fan of the franchise.

Hi, my name is Steve. I grew up with the Terminator... Terminator 2: Judgement Day was one of the films that defined my youth. It was excellent. From this, I went back and watched the original Terminator, and enjoyed it. However, Judgement Day was numero uno.

Then came Terminator 3. It was just a movie... a disappointment, but it was Arnold, and it had some nice moments of cinematography.

Enter: Terminator Salvation

Having heard the negative reviews and going in with expectations moderately tempered, I sat in awe as the opening sequence blew me away. However, I expected this, having heard that this is the best moment of the film.

Quick aside... Christian Bale used his Batman voice in this movie.

Anyway, some of the holes that folks have pointed to, such as

Skynet not killing Kyle Reese when they had the chance

were unfounded as the plotline delivered perfect explanations. Beyond that, they wonderfully paid homage to the past films (

several key one-liners, "You Could Be Mine" by Guns N Roses, a beautifully done CGI Arnold.

)

Anyone who is a fan of the franchise is going to come away quite happy with this movie. I thought it was downright awesome, and when it comes to films, I can be pretty picky. I kept waiting for this movie to start being less awesome, and it didn't. Sam Worthington definitely showed up Bale in this film... his role was awesome. However, Bale fit the role perfectly.

**** out of *****

Yeah, seriously, it was that good. Don't listen to some critics who don't know a damn thing about the franchise. Listen to me.

I saw Rudo y Cursi tonight. Bootlegs are great. Anyways, it's a Mexican movie directed by the brother of the guy who directed Y Tu Mama Tambien and the third harry potter movie, and it stars Gael García Bernal. It's about two brothers from a poor town and the struggles they go through from the fame and money they get playing pro soccer. It's pretty good.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 24, 2009 -> 10:59 PM)
Terminator Salvation Review, by an actual fan of the franchise.

Hi, my name is Steve. I grew up with the Terminator... Terminator 2: Judgement Day was one of the films that defined my youth. It was excellent. From this, I went back and watched the original Terminator, and enjoyed it. However, Judgement Day was numero uno.

Then came Terminator 3. It was just a movie... a disappointment, but it was Arnold, and it had some nice moments of cinematography.

Enter: Terminator Salvation

Having heard the negative reviews and going in with expectations moderately tempered, I sat in awe as the opening sequence blew me away. However, I expected this, having heard that this is the best moment of the film.

Quick aside... Christian Bale used his Batman voice in this movie.

Anyway, some of the holes that folks have pointed to, such as

Skynet not killing Kyle Reese when they had the chance

were unfounded as the plotline delivered perfect explanations. Beyond that, they wonderfully paid homage to the past films (

several key one-liners, "You Could Be Mine" by Guns N Roses, a beautifully done CGI Arnold.

)

Anyone who is a fan of the franchise is going to come away quite happy with this movie. I thought it was downright awesome, and when it comes to films, I can be pretty picky. I kept waiting for this movie to start being less awesome, and it didn't. Sam Worthington definitely showed up Bale in this film... his role was awesome. However, Bale fit the role perfectly.

**** out of *****

Yeah, seriously, it was that good. Don't listen to some critics who don't know a damn thing about the franchise. Listen to me.

Where was the Guns N Roses song?

QUOTE (T R U @ May 25, 2009 -> 03:43 AM)

Where was the Guns N Roses song?

When John Connor was heading out on his lonesome to Skynet SF. He needed a motorcycle (throwback to the dirtbike I presume in T2). He blasted that song (I presume still a personal favorite) to attract one of those bike terminators and that's the wonderful song he chose.

I got around to watching Frost/Nixon this weekend. It's an intriguing story with some great acting. Ron Howard is a terrific director, by the way. It's perfect for those of you who hadn't quite had enough political corruption lately.