Films Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 09:27 AM)
He was never a very good director to begin with IMO. Lets face it, most of us wouldn't think the original 3 Star Wars films were all that good if we were in our 20s and 30s when we first saw them. He's lucky that a generation of 7-13 years olds that saw them when they first came out have elevated those three films to epic status.

That isn't true at all. The entire country was taken in by the Star Wars saga. If it was just 7-13 year olds, it wouldn't have grossed what it did.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 09:47 AM)
That isn't true at all. The entire country was taken in by the Star Wars saga. If it was just 7-13 year olds, it wouldn't have grossed what it did.

You can say the same about Transformers 2. Everyone went to see it.

I will admit that Year One gave me a lot of giggle moments which was more than I expected. I thought it was going to be one of those WTF did I pay to watch this type of movie.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 08:55 AM)

Everyone went to see it because its Transformers.

Older people have a connection from it as a kid, and kids have a connection to it because of the looks and action.

It doesn't matter if you thought it was the worst film ever, there was a zero failure rate for it. People want to see it regardless.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 09:55 AM)

The difference is that Star Wars became a cultural phenomenon. No one will give a s*** about the transformers in six months.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 09:27 AM)
He was never a very good director to begin with IMO. Lets face it, most of us wouldn't think the original 3 Star Wars films were all that good if we were in our 20s and 30s when we first saw them. He's lucky that a generation of 7-13 years olds that saw them when they first came out have elevated those three films to epic status.

I disagree. Star Wars came out of nowhere, there was no cartoon 20 years prior to the film that gave people an idea of what the film was about, there was no frame of reference that people could base their opinions.

Its hard to say "Lets face it, most of us wouldn't think the original 3 Star Wars films were all that good if we were in our 20s and 30s when we first saw them. " because lets face it, in the 70's there wasnt anything remotely like Star Wars. It was a different time, a completely different era. me and you grew up with Star Wars as commonplace, the people that saw this movie when it came out didnt know what was coming next.

I know that looking at the movies now they have a cheesy aspect that can be annoying, but they look like emmy nominees compared to the 3 prequels.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 10:14 AM)
The first two prequels did suck, but the 3rd one was really good. My favorite of all of them is probably Empire Strikes Back.

I wouldn't say really good. I'd say it was adequate at best. But yeah, you're right on Empire.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 12:12 PM)
I disagree. Star Wars came out of nowhere, there was no cartoon 20 years prior to the film that gave people an idea of what the film was about, there was no frame of reference that people could base their opinions.

Its hard to say "Lets face it, most of us wouldn't think the original 3 Star Wars films were all that good if we were in our 20s and 30s when we first saw them. " because lets face it, in the 70's there wasnt anything remotely like Star Wars. It was a different time, a completely different era. me and you grew up with Star Wars as commonplace, the people that saw this movie when it came out didnt know what was coming next.

I know that looking at the movies now they have a cheesy aspect that can be annoying, but they look like emmy nominees compared to the 3 prequels.

They were groundbreaking stuff in their day. Its hard to appreciate what they were, because what we have today has grown up so much, but without Star Wars, we don't have the Sci-Fi movie genre anything like we do today. They are what War of the Worlds was to radio, or the Beatles were to the 60's.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 12:14 PM)
The first two prequels did suck, but the 3rd one was really good. My favorite of all of them is probably Empire Strikes Back.

Vader's NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! says otherwise.

All three were painfully bad.

Echoing the sentiments that Star Wars is a film achievement on par with any of the real game-changing films in the history of film. And us 10-year old kids were not the only ones blown away by it when it came out.

Also agree that Empire is the best of the Trilogy, and that the prequel trilogy is mostly a sad lesson that bazillion-dollar special effects and the worst dialogue ever written are no substitute for a good story and real acting.

And I won't even start in on how much I hate the "Special Editions" and the digital retconing Lucas did on the various trilogy re-releases.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 12:29 PM)
How can one love a movie dominated by Jar Jar Binks, absurdly Japanese stereotype bad guys, and uncomfortably silly dialogue?

You just have to fast forward through to the Obi Wan/Darth Maul lightsaber duel. That was pretty sweet.

Here's my breakdown of a few movies I've seen recently...

Year One - 2/5

It has a few funny moments but too many piss and poo jokes for my liking. David Cross was the best part of this movie and the only reason it wasn't a total waste. I actually preferred Land of the Lost, even with its terribly unfunny final act, to this.

Public Enemies - 3/5

Starts out slow and never really develops its characters into anything worth caring about but at least it gets more entertaining as it goes along. Good popcorn flick but not really worth seeing more than once. I previously predicted that this would get a best picture nomination before I saw it but now I'm pretty sure it won't.

Two Lovers - 3.5/5

One of my favorites of the year so far. Joaquin Phoenix gives a terrific performance alongside Gwyneth Paltrow and Vinessa Shaw. The way the film is shot gives a dark, cold feel to it which is perfect for a film set in Brooklyn during the winter. The story is simple and the movie moves at somewhat of a slow pace but the performances carry it and kept me interested in the characters up to the very end.

Alright, alright.... I have to ask...

Do you understand that The Reader is not about the Holocaust, but instead about that boy/man? The Holocaust is a prop to the plot and that guy's emotions. Very little more.

Yes, but because it involved the Holocaust it received an unworthy nomination for best picture. If this movie was set in the late 1800's/early 1900's where bigfoot was f***ing George Washington Carver's brains out, then put on trial for beating or selling slaves, and finishing with her donating all of her money to the NAACP, it'd be just as boring and pointless.

Nope, it's about boobs, feet and hair. :lolhitting

didn't you call it the best movie of 2008?

610x.jpg

watching old stock footage, there appears to be a lot of older people waiting in the long lines to see Star Wars. Also as I mentioned beforehand, Star Wars was nominated for best picture in 1977.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 04:12 PM)
Yes, but because it involved the Holocaust it received an unworthy nomination for best picture. If this movie was set in the late 1800's/early 1900's where bigfoot was f***ing George Washington Carver's brains out, then put on trial for beating or selling slaves, and finishing with her donating all of her money to the NAACP, it'd be just as boring and pointless.

Had to ask, because your criticisms are against the strengths of the story, and you're calling them weaknesses, for what appears to be, the wrong reasons. And your second 'point' is totally and utterly ridiculous.

For what its worth, I liked The Reader better than at least 2 of the other nominated films (Benjamin Button and Frost/Nixon). It wasn't great or anything and there were movies that weren't nominated that were better but that's the academy for ya.

And anyone who says it's about the Holocaust didn't see the same movie that I did. There's maybe one scene in it that gets overly sentimental about the topic.

Yes, but because it involved the Holocaust it received an unworthy nomination for best picture. If this movie was set in the late 1800's/early 1900's where bigfoot was f***ing George Washington Carver's brains out,then put on trial for beating or selling slaves, and finishing with her donating all of her money to the NAACP, it'd be just as boring and pointless.

didn't you call it the best movie of 2008?

610x.jpg

You're completely lost.