Films Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Cali @ Dec 19, 2008 -> 08:21 PM)
Saw The Wrestler last night, Rourke is AWESOME. I hope he wins the Oscar for his performance. The movie itself is good, but not great. Doesnt really break any new ground story wise, but it's shot really well, particularly the wrestling scenes. The hardcore stuff is intense, especially the aftermath and the tending to the wounds...Ouch

I really wanted to see this as well, but if it's mostly a wrestling movie, now I'm not so sure. I was hoping the sub plots were really strong. Tomei is underrated.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Oct 20, 2008 -> 09:36 PM)
Let the Right One In looks awesome. Has anyone been to a pre-screening

I knew I remembered someone on Soxtalk talking about this movie.

I haven't seen it but the reviews from screenings across America have been overwhelmingly positive. I know this isn't always an accurate guage of a movie's quality, but IMDB already has it listed as one of their Top 250 movies.

Unfortunately for us casual moviegoers, unless you have a DVD player capable of reading Region 2 DVDs you'll have to wait unitl its US release on March 10th. Until then I'm probably going to drive to Borders and pick up a copy of the book sometime this week.

Another excellent foreign horror film is [rec]. I don't know when it's being released in America, though.

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Dec 21, 2008 -> 08:09 PM)
cloverfield viral marketing >>>>>> cloverfield

Anyways, I just saw Conan the Barbarian for the first time. It was entertaining...

It's amazing to me when I look at Arnold's movie catalog and compare him to his modern day equilavent, Will Smith. Arnold annihilates him. There probably won't be another person like Arnold, whom was involved with so many quality (IMO) action films. On the issue of financial draw of course Smith wins; but look through his IMDB page. Even with ID, MIB, Enemy of the State (movies I enjoyed him in) his career seems to be overstated. Whoever said it earlier in this thread was right, he hasn't done anything worth a damn in awhile. He's obviously trying to grab himself an oscar before it's all said and done.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Dec 22, 2008 -> 09:58 AM)
It's amazing to me when I look at Arnold's movie catalog and compare him to his modern day equilavent, Will Smith. Arnold annihilates him. There probably won't be another person like Arnold, whom was involved with so many quality (IMO) action films. On the issue of financial draw of course Smith wins; but look through his IMDB page. Even with ID, MIB, Enemy of the State (movies I enjoyed him in) his career seems to be overstated. Whoever said it earlier in this thread was right, he hasn't done anything worth a damn in awhile. He's obviously trying to grab himself an oscar before it's all said and done.

He has tried the oscar grab a few times. Ali, 6 degrees of seperation, Happyness, 7 lbs, thats nothing new to WS.

Arnold, Sly, Van Damme all kill WS in the action movie categories. Arnold was just handed goldmine after goldmine script, his run in the 80's was amazing. I like to give Sly a little more credit because he actually wrote a good portion of the movies he starred in, which to me is pretty impressive. Van Damme was just fun to watch, although the splits trick got old

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Dec 22, 2008 -> 10:05 AM)
He has tried the oscar grab a few times. Ali, 6 degrees of seperation, Happyness, 7 lbs, thats nothing new to WS.

Arnold, Sly, Van Damme all kill WS in the action movie categories. Arnold was just handed goldmine after goldmine script, his run in the 80's was amazing. I like to give Sly a little more credit because he actually wrote a good portion of the movies he starred in, which to me is pretty impressive. Van Damme was just fun to watch, although the splits trick got old

Haha, yeah. Or Van Damme doing a roundhouse kick in slow motion while yelling AAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh.

Christian Bale is probably the one who can match Arnold. Especially if the new Terminator movie is any good.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Agreed on the Arnold stuff. His movies in the 80's are still enjoyable to me right now. Total Recall, Predator, Commando, T1&2, the list goes on.

Saw 7 Lb's and Valkyrie this weekend. I enjoyed 7 Lbs for the mostpart. I guess since I didn't really have high expectations for it.

Valkyrie was a decent suspense movie. I am not a huge Cruise fan anymore. However, he wasn't terrible in the movie. Not sure of the accuracy of the movie as I don't have a ton of knowledge on von Stauffenberg. However, at worst it is a decent popcorn flick.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Dec 22, 2008 -> 10:30 AM)
Haha, yeah. Or Van Damme doing a roundhouse kick in slow motion while yelling AAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh.

Christian Bale is probably the one who can match Arnold. Especially if the new Terminator movie is any good.

I think the best equivalency for Will Smith is Bruce Willis...

--Both started in comedy TV

--Both have become, mostly, summer blockbuster headliners

--But both have also shown serious acting chops at times

Has anyone read up on Sly Stallones upcoming movie "The Expendables"?

It should be fun, Dolph Lundgren, Sly, Jason Statham, Jet Li, all soldiers hired on for jobs that deem them expendable(ha, see how that works?)

Van Damme said he didnt want to do it because he wouldnt get the most face time

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 22, 2008 -> 11:24 AM)
I think the best equivalency for Will Smith is Bruce Willis...

--Both started in comedy TV

--Both have become, mostly, summer blockbuster headliners

--But both have also shown serious acting chops at times

Where's Will Smith's Pulp Fiction?

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Dec 22, 2008 -> 09:46 AM)
I knew I remembered someone on Soxtalk talking about this movie.

I haven't seen it but the reviews from screenings across America have been overwhelmingly positive. I know this isn't always an accurate guage of a movie's quality, but IMDB already has it listed as one of their Top 250 movies.

Unfortunately for us casual moviegoers, unless you have a DVD player capable of reading Region 2 DVDs you'll have to wait unitl its US release on March 10th. Until then I'm probably going to drive to Borders and pick up a copy of the book sometime this week.

Another excellent foreign horror film is [rec]. I don't know when it's being released in America, though.

Let the right one in was an amazing movie. I suggest people check that one out when it comes out on dvd. It was by far one of the best movies this year.