Films Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Wrestler is my favorite film of the year. Mickey Rourke's performance is great (Marissa Tomei quite good too) and Aronofsky took what I think is a pleasant departure from the style I've seen in his other work. I can't remember the last time I wanted to go back to the theater to see a movie more than once

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Dec 29, 2008 -> 08:44 PM)
'Slumdog Mil' is good, not great, but good.

Winslet is in both, 'Reader' and 'Revolutionary'

We know she was in both, we were debating which movie she had a steamy sex scene. Apparently it might be both

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 30, 2008 -> 10:26 AM)
Gran Torino is an excellent film.

That's good news. I'm not a fan of the Eastwood 'Dirty Harry' type film, but in the last 5-7 years he's done some good work. Straight ahead story telling with good performances is all you need. Morgan Freeman falls into this category too.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Dec 29, 2008 -> 06:08 AM)
The Wrestler is my favorite film of the year. Mickey Rourke's performance is great (Marissa Tomei quite good too) and Aronofsky took what I think is a pleasant departure from the style I've seen in his other work. I can't remember the last time I wanted to go back to the theater to see a movie more than once

did he stop the "hundred cuts per minute"s***

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 31, 2008 -> 12:41 AM)
did he stop the "hundred cuts per minute"s***

Yes. His main trademark used in this film are the scenes where it seems like the camera is attached/hovering over the actors as they move about. But not in that annoying 'Pi' way where the camera was under the guy's chin as he ran around crazily

QUOTE (The Critic @ Dec 31, 2008 -> 10:53 PM)
Just got back from seeing The Wrestler.

I enjoyed it, but it wasn't a great movie by any stretch.

It was a decent movie, worth seeing for a night out with the Mrs, but nothing outstanding.

Rourke did a nice job, maybe Oscar-worthy, maybe not.

But does Marisa Tomei get naykee in it? ;) ;)

QUOTE (The Critic @ Dec 31, 2008 -> 11:53 PM)
Just got back from seeing The Wrestler.

I enjoyed it, but it wasn't a great movie by any stretch.

It was a decent movie, worth seeing for a night out with the Mrs, but nothing outstanding.

Rourke did a nice job, maybe Oscar-worthy, maybe not.

What other performances have you seen this year that would make you say that Rourke's job may be Oscar-worthy?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 1, 2009 -> 03:40 PM)
What other performances have you seen this year that would make you say that Rourke's job may be Oscar-worthy?

I don't watch a lot of movies, so I wasn't basing it on comparisons.

I was basing my opinion on what I saw on the screen. What I saw was a very good performance, but in my own personal individual opinion, not a great one. A bit of a one-note job, but that falls in line with the plot and tone of the movie.

I was expecting to be blown away, due to everything I've read and heard about his performance, but I wasn't blown away.

Aren't you going to ask me which performances I saw that made me say it may not be Oscar-worthy?

Edited by The Critic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 30, 2008 -> 10:18 PM)
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is easily one of the best movies I have ever seen.

Dammit Steve! Now the rotation of the earth is knocked off its f***in axis! I hated it and I have pretty much agreed with every movie review you have ever done. Now your probably gonna tell me you thought Yes Man was the most hilarious movie you ever seen. :D

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 1, 2009 -> 07:59 PM)
Dammit Steve! Now the rotation of the earth is knocked off its f***in axis! I hated it and I have pretty much agreed with every movie review you have ever done. Now your probably gonna tell me you thought Yes Man was the most hilarious movie you ever seen. :D

I don't plan on seeing Yes Man.

My mind is blown that anyone could not enjoy CCoBB. I thought it was a masterpiece.