Films Thread

Chisoxfn

Josh Brolin was very good too, he's coming into his own as an actor and getting away from being just his father's son. Haven't seen "W" yet so no comment on that particular performance.

Michael Clayton is one of those solid, sometimes boring, but pretty good movies that are driven more by the performances than by the storyline itself, which was okay. Some reviewers just love Tilda Swinton and Julianne Moore, maybe because red hair and albino-esque skin is so rare in Hollywood today.

It also reminds me of the line from Tropic Thunder (about Wilkinson), you can't play "full retard" or "crazy person" to win an Oscar, it has to be like Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man or A Beautiful Mind (which was really a stretch of the truth).

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 08:43 PM)
Was Rourke mentioned at all? I knew Eastwood would get a lot of buzz, as he's Clint Eastwood. I've yet to see that movie, but I know already that it's going to be overrated, but still very good.

I think it was a decent movie...But i do think overrated. Eastwood (and maybe the asian girl) were the only good performances of the film...But Eastwood was awesome.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 11:15 PM)
Michael Clayton was so boring. Bardem put the creeps in everyone during NCFOM

Eh, he just killed guys without remorse. That's more of a great role than a great acting job. Bardem did a spectacular job, but I think it's a role a lot of actors could've done a lot with. Wilkinson deserved it more.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 12:22 AM)
Josh Brolin was very good too, he's coming into his own as an actor and getting away from being just his father's son. Haven't seen "W" yet so no comment on that particular performance.

Michael Clayton is one of those solid, sometimes boring, but pretty good movies that are driven more by the performances than by the storyline itself, which was okay. Some reviewers just love Tilda Swinton and Julianne Moore, maybe because red hair and albino-esque skin is so rare in Hollywood today.

It also reminds me of the line from Tropic Thunder (about Wilkinson), you can't play "full retard" or "crazy person" to win an Oscar, it has to be like Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man or A Beautiful Mind (which was really a stretch of the truth).

Brolin really is coming into his own. I think I said something very similar in this thread a few months ago.

And Wilkinson played an extremely believable manic depressant.

QUOTE (TheBlackSox8 @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 12:30 AM)
I think it was a decent movie...But i do think overrated. Eastwood (and maybe the asian girl) were the only good performances of the film...But Eastwood was awesome.

Best Actor awesome?

EDIT: I don't doubt he was awesome, as he almost always is.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 11:36 PM)
Best Actor awesome?

EDIT: I don't doubt he was awesome, as he almost always is.

best actor....definitely no. I only thought the movie was decent because of his performance....without him I thought it was s***.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 05:35 PM)
I guess the girl in the poster is Odette Yustman. How did an actress get that far in Hollywood with such a name, lol? Maybe a sign of progress.

That is her. And I only know that from her name on the poster. She's is kind of easy on the eyes.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 05:35 PM)
I guess the girl in the poster is Odette Yustman. How did an actress get that far in Hollywood with such a name, lol? Maybe a sign of progress.

Looks like the girl from Cloverfield.

So I just watched Gran Torino.

The movie is kind of up and down on how good it is. There are more effective parts than others........it's more good than not though.

You never really see like an 80 year old badass in movies so it's kind of tough to know how to react...I will say the Hmong girls are quite cute...

I saw Doubt yesterday. I liked it, I think. It's one of those movies that sort of follows you out of the theater. Honestly, it is probably more effective as a play, but still a worthwhile little movie. I was impressed by how ambiguous the movie was. Good thought provoking movie.

QUOTE (Cali @ Dec 19, 2008 -> 07:21 PM)
Saw The Wrestler last night, Rourke is AWESOME. I hope he wins the Oscar for his performance. The movie itself is good, but not great. Doesnt really break any new ground story wise, but it's shot really well, particularly the wrestling scenes. The hardcore stuff is intense, especially the aftermath and the tending to the wounds...Ouch

That's "The Wrestler" in a nutshell, really well said.

The movie is an interesting little window into the wrestling world, but it doesn't really deliver much else. (except Marisa Tomei, who looks amazing naked even though she has pretty large nipples). The ending was perhaps a little over dramatic, but still satisfying on any important level.

The force behind this movie is Rourke and his portrayal of the wrestling version of himself. Rourke bulked up like a madman for this role (i think) and was able to pull off the feel of the "broken down piece of meat" look that this movie required. Rourke looks like the ultimate warrior without the face paint, but his ability to convey innocence, ignorance, vulnerability and sincerity through that facade is the real core of the character. Maybe Rourke was so good because his career mirrors that of "Randy The Ram's" but in any count... it is a brilliant performance.

Go see "The Wrestler" for Rourke, Tomei, and the Wrestling Scenes (I haven't watched wrestling since I was ten), don't go see it for the great story. There are some great nuggets of the underbelly of wrestling, but everything else is too underdeveloped to really care about and feels forced.

3.5/4 over sized nipples.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 08:51 PM)
I agree on Wilkinson, I thought he got shafted on that. Should have won.

I AM SHIVA THE GODDESS OF DEATH!

Wilkinson is the best actor that nobody knows about.... really undervalued.

MC is a solid movie overall. George Clooney is a pretty decent actor when he's not trying to tell the audience how cool and fun he is.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 08:33 AM)
My thoughts on "The Wrestler" are pretty much in line with the comments people have made in here. Rourke nailed it but the movie itself was just a 'B'.

How about Jack Skellington playing Rourkes daughter? How did that work out?

If anyone decided to see . . . Benjamin Button, resists the urge to walk out after the first 30 minutes. The final two hours was breathtaking ;) . Seriously, I like chick flicks, with a chick, and this one did not disappoint. They "solved" some of the reality to movie issues in a rather pleasing way.

From the DVD folder, watched Dead Poets society and have proclaimed Robin Williams as the most underrated actor of our generation.