Films Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 6, 2009 -> 07:51 AM)
I can't believe so many people disliked 3:10 to Yuma. I thought it was one of the better westerns made in the last decade or two. Not that there have been a ton of them made in that period, but, there are some.

Did you see the Assassination of Jesse James? I liked it better than 3:10 although Pitt was mediocre. Affleck stole the show for me in that one.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 6, 2009 -> 02:25 PM)
Did you see the Assassination of Jesse James? I liked it better than 3:10 although Pitt was mediocre. Affleck stole the show for me in that one.

I really enjoy Casey Affleck. I wanted to hate him just because of Ben being so horrible, but I couldnt.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 6, 2009 -> 08:57 AM)
Unforgiven was indeed an excellent western.

Tombstone, I enjoyed a lot, but I think its not enough to be "great". In fact, its really two films. They changed directors while making it, and it shows. The first half to two thirds was good, not really classic in style but very well done. Good character stuff, great fun too. Then about two thirds in, it becomes a modern-age action flick set with older costumes, and that takes something away from it. Not sure which director was which, but, the whole ride of the avengers aspect got pretty ridiculous. Still a fun movie, but, not as good as Unforgiven, or 3:10 to Yuma, or even Silverado.

There are also a few movies out in recent years that aren't westerns per se, but are very akin, and very good. The Missing, for example, was a good film. Seraphim Falls was decent.

Tombstone was one of the best westerns ever made. It was "directed" by Cosmatos. But, when he died, Kurt Russell came forward and said that he actually directed the whole thing, and used Cosmatos' name to draw attention to it. It was an agreement between the two to keep it secret until Cosmatos was gone.

Tombstone > 3:10 To Yuma

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 6, 2009 -> 03:20 PM)
Did you ever wonder how dudes like Steve Martin, Chevy Chase or Dan Akroyd can go from funny to completely irrelevant overnight?

I agree in the case of Chase and Akroyd. Martin is still funny, but he he picks craptacular film projects.

I think the thing that tends to hurt 3:10 is the action. Most westerns don't have the amount of action and unreal gunfights. I criticize it for that....it's still a good movie. More of an action movie that takes place in the west instead of a western.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 6, 2009 -> 02:23 PM)
I'd say Open Range was better.

I did like Open Range, but put it below any of the three I mentioned (3:10, Unforgiven, Tombstone).

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 6, 2009 -> 02:25 PM)

I saw it. Very good acting and characters, costumes and sets were also excellent. Writing wasn't so good - way too much air, like watching a Mamet film. And the whole production aspect was horribly over-artsy, for no other purpose - felt like the movie Thin Red Line.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 6, 2009 -> 02:36 PM)
Tombstone was one of the best westerns ever made. It was "directed" by Cosmatos. But, when he died, Kurt Russell came forward and said that he actually directed the whole thing, and used Cosmatos' name to draw attention to it. It was an agreement between the two to keep it secret until Cosmatos was gone.

Tombstone > 3:10 To Yuma

That's a tough call, between those two. Tombstone was most of a very good movie, but the last third just took it from great to good for me. Still a fun movie to watch though, and I loved the way they shot the OK Corral scene.

QUOTE (onedude @ Feb 6, 2009 -> 03:39 PM)
I think the thing that tends to hurt 3:10 is the action. Most westerns don't have the amount of action and unreal gunfights. I criticize it for that....it's still a good movie. More of an action movie that takes place in the west instead of a western.

So you probably liked the Quick and the Dead, yeah?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 6, 2009 -> 04:04 PM)
So you probably liked the Quick and the Dead, yeah?

the one with Hackman, Crowe, Stone, and Leo? Loved Hackman's role, I don't really like Stone. I'll leave it at that, I don't hate it or love it.

Nothing beats the older westerns....but out of the recent ones, gotta go with Unforgiven, Tombstone, 3:10, then Open Range. All really good.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 6, 2009 -> 07:51 AM)
I can't believe so many people disliked 3:10 to Yuma. I thought it was one of the better westerns made in the last decade or two. Not that there have been a ton of them made in that period, but, there are some.

I enjoyed it up until the end.

I'd've rather he gotten away. It seemed forced when they killed him off.

Check out The Proposition if you haven't seen it already.

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Feb 6, 2009 -> 04:29 PM)
I enjoyed it up until the end.

I'd've rather he gotten away. It seemed forced when they killed him off.

Check out The Proposition if you haven't seen it already.

I've seen that....with Guy Pearce. Australian western, really good movie....forgot to mention that one.

Two people (BobDylan is really hard to count because it's a remake and the only movies I've seen him admit he's liked are NCFOM and Changeling) = "so many?" It has a score of 89 on the tomatometer. I hate western movies, but after renting this I decided to buy a copy for myself.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 6, 2009 -> 05:03 PM)
I did like Open Range, but put it below any of the three I mentioned (3:10, Unforgiven, Tombstone).

I saw it. Very good acting and characters, costumes and sets were also excellent. Writing wasn't so good - way too much air, like watching a Mamet film. And the whole production aspect was horribly over-artsy, for no other purpose - felt like the movie Thin Red Line.

That's a tough call, between those two. Tombstone was most of a very good movie, but the last third just took it from great to good for me. Still a fun movie to watch though, and I loved the way they shot the OK Corral scene.

Also, I thought you were talking about the best westerns of this decade or something. Unforgiven and Tombstone wouldn't fall into that category. And with the other two, I put Open Range higher than 3:10 to Yuma.

And Val Kilmer's Doc Holiday was probably the best movie character ever.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Feb 6, 2009 -> 06:23 PM)
Two people (BobDylan is really hard to count because it's a remake and the only movies I've seen him admit he's liked are NCFOM and Changeling) = "so many?" It has a score of 89 on the tomatometer. I hate western movies, but after renting this I decided to buy a copy for myself.

For the record, I don't dislike the movie. I'd just put it lower than most of the westerns we've discussed.