Films Thread

Chisoxfn

denzel-book-of-eli-firstlook-img1.jpg

A post-apocalyptic Western, in which a lone man(Washington) fights his way across America(with a samurai sword) in order to protect a sacred book that holds the secrets to saving humankind. :headbang

Gary Oldman, Denzel Washington......print my ticket now.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 12:38 PM)
Watchmen is getting pretty bad reviews.

Not the reviews Im reading. Besides, this movie isnt going to please the masses, the story is complex and very dark, and Zach Snyder supposedly kept it very close to the actual story. I think Watchmen fans will love it, but the casual movie fan will think its ok or that it sucks.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 01:59 PM)
Not surprising, considering its the same guy who brought us 300, one of the most laughably bad movies I've ever seen.

In what way? I agree that it was way over the top and historically inaccurate, but those were some of its intentions.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 07:35 PM)
In what way? I agree that it was way over the top and historically inaccurate, but those were some of its intentions.

I never read 300 the graphic novel, I just remember the battle being taught to me in class. And in the battle, they fight until their spears break, swords dull, and go hand to hand until the very end. That's badass to me, at least that's how it was taught to me. So, it was very anti-climactic for me, when after fighting all these mythical creatures and s***, what takes them down after 2 days of fighting is a bunch of flipping arrows.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 08:43 PM)
you think hollywood is telling us something with all these 'post-apocolyptic' films in production?

It's to draw in all those crazies that think the Rapture is going to come pick them up sometime soon.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)

There's also the fact that there was no tension in the movie and no narrative drive. That kinda drives a film into the ground.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 02:42 PM)
There's also the fact that there was no tension in the movie and no narrative drive. That kinda drives a film into the ground.

It looked to me like a video game with some really bad acting, and scene shots that were trying so hard to look kewl that it was just silly. I saw no appeal in it.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 12:59 PM)
Not surprising, considering its the same guy who brought us 300, one of the most laughably bad movies I've ever seen.

Man I loved that movie. Great modern interpretation of mythology IMO.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 04:07 PM)
Man I loved that movie. Great modern interpretation of mythology IMO.

I agree. I loved that movie too. It's not supposed to be realistic, so the people who call it such are the ridiculously laughable ones. It's a graphic freakin' novel. Take it for what its worth...a badass action movie based loosely on the Battle of Thermopylae.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 03:30 PM)
I agree. I loved that movie too. It's not supposed to be realistic, so the people who call it such are the ridiculously laughable ones. It's a graphic freakin' novel. Take it for what its worth...a badass action movie based loosely on the Battle of Thermopylae.

Um... no, I wasn't taking it seriously. Obviously it wasn't meant to be.

I'm saying, even as a fun action movie, it was an utter failure.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 04:19 PM)
Um... no, I wasn't taking it seriously. Obviously it wasn't meant to be.

I'm saying, even as a fun action movie, it was an utter failure.

To be honest, this is the first time i've actually heard that people didnt like the movie.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 04:21 PM)
To be honest, this is the first time i've actually heard that people didnt like the movie.

300?

Are you serious?

I thought only a select group of guys aged 14-28 enjoyed it, and I certainly wasn't even a part of that select group.

Yes, a lot of those guys liked it, but that was it. I have yet to find a woman who enjoyed it either.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 04:21 PM)

I agree, I thought I was the only one who did not like it. The story was complete garbage. Even to set up an action film. I actually found it boring.