Films Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 02:34 PM)
I can't believe you know this much about 90210. I had to google all of those guys.

My parents actually enjoyed watching it too, but anyone who grew up in the 80's and early 90's watched shows like 90210 and Melrose Place.

Jennie Garth is still acting, Shannen Doherty is still in the news and Tori Spelling's multiple plastic surgeries couldn't change the fact that she's not really that attractive...the funny think about this show was that one of the actresses (Andrea Zuckerman) was like 30 or 32 and playing a high school girl.

Every girl from that time, I'm sure, remembers Brandon/Dylan and New Kids on the Block...maybe that's why I like movies like Wedding Singer or Wrestler that are so wrapped in 80's minutiae.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (3E8 @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 11:51 PM)
Sarah Silverman made a joke that 300 was titled by how gay it was on a scale of 1-10

So where are Troy and Kingdom of Heaven on that list?

Personally, I enjoyed 300 more than those two, and I like almost everything Eric Bana does, with the exception of the first Hulk.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 02:50 PM)
It looked to me like a video game with some really bad acting, and scene shots that were trying so hard to look kewl that it was just silly. I saw no appeal in it.

Me thinks you went into it hating it already. It was by no means a great or even very good movie, but I did find it entertaining. The video game look and cool-looking scenes were the point.

300 has some of the worst acting I've seen in a movie in a long time,talk about over acting...just watched Death to Smoochy and was funnier now than when I saw it a few years ago,I highly recommend it.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 07:07 AM)
:lolhitting

That was considered normal for Greek soldiers to have fellow soldiers as lovers,so they were most probably all gay...not that there is anything wrong with that :P

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 03:29 AM)
just watched Death to Smoochy and was funnier now than when I saw it a few years ago,I highly recommend it.

Sorry if I smell like piss... You know how it is.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 02:51 PM)
Why? Why do I listen to my wife who picks the bad ones because she doesn't want me to make her see it! :lolhitting

Ebert loves it and Micheal Phillips slammed it. Looks like a mixed bag of reviews. Rotten Tomatoes score down to 64%.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 02:19 PM)
Um... no, I wasn't taking it seriously. Obviously it wasn't meant to be.

I'm saying, even as a fun action movie, it was an utter failure.

I agree - I was bored out of my mind.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 03:29 AM)
300 has some of the worst acting I've seen in a movie in a long time,talk about over acting...just watched Death to Smoochy and was funnier now than when I saw it a few years ago,I highly recommend it.

I really enjoyed that movie when I saw it a while back. I'd defenitely watch it again.

I remember it getting horrible reviews, and I watched some of it Comedy Central, and it sucked. Since you thought the Love Guru is funny, I will continue to pass on Death to Smoochy.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 07:54 PM)
I remember it getting horrible reviews, and I watched some of it Comedy Central, and it sucked. Since you thought the Love Guru is funny, I will continue to pass on Death to Smoochy.

No, Death to Smoochy was pretty funny. There is that twisted sub-genre of iconic kid's entertainment entities gone bad that I get a kick out of. Maybe I'll call it the Sideshow Bob Phenomenon. Smoochy, Bob Goldthwait's very under-appreciated Shakes the Clown, Bad Santa, etc. . . I get a kick out of all of those.

From reading so many reviews of Watchmen, it sounds to me like everyone who read the comic book (come on, graphic novel, get the f*** outta here) is "eh" because it didn't blow their minds and it didn't bring anything new to the story (why would you want it to?), but everyone who doesn't even know what it's about is completely captivated by this incredibly original story with amazing visuals.

Thank goodness for the ad-time purchased during The Office and 30 Rock last night, as I was able to convince the wife that we have to see this movie and on opening night, because why the hell not and what else is going on on March 6!

I'll let you all know what I think around midnight.

Edited by Steve9347

I did not think I would have this reaction to Watchmen... but words cannot express how good, original (I know, adaptation), and brutally awesome Watchmen is...

I was captivated. I guess if you read the graphic novel, you won't like it as much, and I will be reading it now, but God damn, that movie was great.

Too much blue dick!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 12:10 AM)
I did not think I would have this reaction to Watchmen... but words cannot express how good, original (I know, adaptation), and brutally awesome Watchmen is...

I was captivated. I guess if you read the graphic novel, you won't like it as much, and I will be reading it now, but God damn, that movie was great.

Too much blue dick!

I agree 100%. I hadn't read the graphic novel at all, but the movie, I thought, was damn good. I wouldn't quite say great, but about as close as it gets. It wasn't what I expected at all. I was expecting a straight up movie hero, action flick. But the story was absolutely incredible. The action definitely takes a backseat, and it doesn't make the movie boring at all, however, the action scenes are very good in the film as well, so it;'s an even bigger plus.

I thought the characters were about as well developed as you could possibly do with a 400 page story in a 2 hr, 45 minute movie. It didn't drag at all. The portrayal of Rohrshach was by far my favorite part of the movie. From the mask, to the voice, to the personality. It was incredible. It's a surprisingly powerful movie, and I thought the ending was well done. For those of you who never read the story, it shouldn't be hard at all to catch on. You should do so quickly. I came in with very high expectations of the film, and I was pleasantly surprised that it was nothing that I expected, yet better than what I expected. Think X-Men meets the Matrix and you get Watchmen.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 11:10 PM)

Too much blue dick!

See what happens when you tell your wife she is wrong?

You get the Blue Dick