Films Thread

Chisoxfn

Russel Crowe is the most likable (not lickable) bad ass in chaps.

Saw "3:10 to Yuma" last night.

I loooooved it.

Crowe has in the top 5 best actors alive: (De Niro, Crowe, Pacino, Bale (in tie for first), and tie for fifth with Denzel and Tom hanks. Minus points to Denzel for making s***ty movies now and minus points for Tom hanks for making s***ty movies in the past)

So anyway, this film has two of the top 5, PLUS, Peter Fonda, Luke Wilson, Dallas Roberts, Ben Foster, Alan Tudyk, and Gretchen Mol...

funniest thing I read from IMDB.com: Eric Bana was in initial negotiations to star opposite Tom Cruise in this film. (Bana would have been decent, but Cruise would have had to use one of those midget horses.)

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Sep 9, 2007 -> 08:37 AM)

I loooooved it.

Crowe has in the top 5 best actors alive: (De Niro, Crowe, Pacino, Bale (in tie for first), and tie for fifth with Denzel and Tom hanks. Minus points to Denzel for making s***ty movies now and minus points for Tom hanks for making s***ty movies in the past)

So anyway, this film has two of the top 5, PLUS, Peter Fonda, Luke Wilson, Dallas Roberts, Ben Foster, Alan Tudyk, and Gretchen Mol...

funniest thing I read from IMDB.com: Eric Bana was in initial negotiations to star opposite Tom Cruise in this film. (Bana would have been decent, but Cruise would have had to use one of those midget horses.)

Better than the original? Just curious.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Sep 9, 2007 -> 08:37 AM)

I loooooved it.

Denzel is not making s***ty movies at the moment.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 9, 2007 -> 09:40 AM)
Better than the original? Just curious.

alas, I wasn't cool enough to see the original. From what I've read it's just as good. The expand on the back histories of some of the characters more. Same story, different take, more or less.

QUOTE(TheBlackSox8 @ Sep 9, 2007 -> 12:17 PM)
Denzel is not making s***ty movies at the moment.

To be fair, Tom Hanks hasn't made a good movie in a while either.

1. The Great Debaters (2007) (post-production) .... Don’t know anything about it.

2. American Gangster (2007) (completed) .... Russell Crowe will be awesome

3. Deja Vu (2006) Sucked

4. Inside Man (2006) Story Awesome, Denzel so-so

5. The Manchurian Candidate (2004) Sucked

6. Man on Fire (2004) Story Awesome, Denzel Awesome

7. Out of Time (2003/I) Didn’t see it – from what I hear, I didn’t miss anything

8. Antwone Fisher (2002) Didn’t see it – from what I hear not bad

9. John Q (2002) Average

10. Training Day (2001) Grossly Over-rated...liked it better when it starred Chow Yun Fat and Mark Wahlberg (the corrupter)

11. Remember the Titans (2000) Decent

12. The Hurricane (1999) Boring

13. The Bone Collector (1999) Lame

14. The Siege (1998/I) Decent

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 9, 2007 -> 05:49 PM)
Wow tough crowd. Training day and Remember the Titans were awesome imo.

Yeah, and I actually liked Deja Vu and the Manchurian Candidate remake quite a bit.

Training Day I didn't think was a particularly great movie (it had some very good elements), but I do think Denzel did a fantastic job in it.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 9, 2007 -> 05:51 PM)
Yeah, and I actually liked Deja Vu and the Manchurian Candidate remake quite a bit.

Training Day I didn't think was a particularly great movie (it had some very good elements), but I do think Denzel did a fantastic job in it.

that's why i posted it... I loved Deja vu and the Manchurian Candidate as well. both got good reviews.

Not a good movie at all. I had high hopes for this movie after seeing the trailer and that leaked sex scene. After watching it I wanted to find a reason for liking it but I couldn't. It failed at everything Crank and to a lesser extent Smokin' Aces succeeded in.

I had no idea about this movie and saw it after reading some of the reviews on rotten tomatoes. I was laughing at all the action movie cliches. Smokin' Aces was a horrible movie as that wasn't funny at all, and I had no idea if it was supposed to be a comedy, a thriller, a drama, or an action movie.

Shoot 'Em Up was all about the cliches.

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 9, 2007 -> 06:37 PM)
I had no idea about this movie and saw it after reading some of the reviews on rotten tomatoes. I was laughing at all the action movie cliches. Smokin' Aces was a horrible movie as that wasn't funny at all, and I had no idea if it was supposed to be a comedy, a thriller, a drama, or an action movie.

I feel the exact same way, agree on all accounts. Smokin' Aces was an absolute joke of a f***ing movie it couldn't decide what it wanted to be, it just dragged for the full 108 minutes with not a single good performance from any of the "big name" actors that for whatever reason decided to participate in the project. I remember the night I went to see it, I actually came on here at like 4 AM just to b**** about it since so many people here were so excited to see it.

At least Shoot 'Em made its intentions known from the very beginning and didn't attempt to be anything more than it is.

On a related note Paul Giamatti should not have been in this movie. That was just poor casting IMO.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 9, 2007 -> 06:37 PM)

I know what it was doing with the cliches, and the satire, and the brainless action, but it was too thick. I give it somewhere between a 5 and a 6. Not horrible, but not great.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Sep 9, 2007 -> 07:34 PM)
Just got back from 3:10 To Yuma. I guess it was a good movie, but I left feeling sort of confused with Crowe's character's actions at the end.

even the rotten guy has a little honor (shooting his crew and getting on the train)...even if he planned on saving his own hyde in the end. (calling his horse so he could escape)

Ben Foster needs to stop playing Psychopaths...

Indy 4 has a title:

INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL.

It was annouced during the VMA's last night by Shia Lebouf, but has since been confirmed.

Here is the annoucement on the official web-site:

http://www.indianajones.com/site/index.html

And here's the logo:

indylogosmall.jpg

I'm sitting on the fence right now...I don't know what to think.

Edited by RibbieRubarb

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 12:06 PM)
Indy 4 has a title:

INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL.

It was annouced during the VMA's last night by Shia Lebouf, but has since been confirmed.

Here is the annoucement on the official web-site:

http://www.indianajones.com/site/index.html

And here's the logo:

indylogosmall.jpg

I'm sitting on the fence right now...I don't know what to think.

What a horribly bad title.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 12:43 PM)
And in the "Beyond Cool" category, I give you the trailer for Iron Man!!!

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/ironman/

Seriously, "Bad Ass" just isn't defined any better than that trailer.

I feel you man, that trailer looks great. Who do you get to play an arrogant, alcoholic, rich genius? Robert Downey Jr of course.

So people won't see the movie because of the title? Will the name of the movie keep it from being good? Come on.

I'd like to think we all aren't like Star Wars nerds, complaining about the titles. ;)

Edited by Brian

QUOTE(Brian @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 09:16 PM)
So people won't see the movie because of the title? Will the name of the movie keep it from being good? Come on.

I'd like to think we all aren't like Star Wars nerds, complaining about the titles. ;)

Screw that, they can call it whatever they want, I'll still be watching it the day it comes out. Just saying I'm sure there could be "cooler" options than the one chosen. Kind of a long title for a movie.