Films Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 15, 2009 -> 03:46 AM)
huh. Never figured you for the campy foreign horror movie, Bob. Learn something new every day

?????

Anyway, that trailer has to be one of the worst I have ever seen, and this is one of my most looked to movies as well. Luckily they've said the trailer has little to do with the movie.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 14, 2009 -> 10:48 PM)
?????

Anyway, that trailer has to be one of the worst I have ever seen, and this is one of my most looked to movies as well. Luckily they've said the trailer has little to do with the movie.

Are you asking about what i am referring to? Last post of the previous page, trailer for Dead Snow

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 14, 2009 -> 09:48 PM)
?????

I think he's referring to the cheesy WWII zombie movie I posted as a joke. But I wouldn't be surprised if he were talking about The Road, because, yes, the trailer looks like s***.

I have faith in the director, though. He did The Proposition, which I loved. Plus Nick Cave did the soundtrack, and I can't think of any other musician more appropriate for this story.

I did read an early review, and the guy basically jerked off and said it is an incredible movie.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 14, 2009 -> 10:48 PM)
?????

I'm sure there are going to be many people faithful to the novel very upset with this trailer. It's obvious they're attempting to appeal to the general public . First off, if the movie is going to be at all close to be book the whole intro with global warming and a tornado is deceiving. Cormac McCarthy himself said in an interview that when writing of the destruction he had envisioned an asteroid hitting the planet. That would explain devastation on a scale that covers large amounts of land, blocks out the sun, and turns the Atlantic ocean grey from fallen ash. On that note, it's EXTREMELY disappointing not to observe any ash in this trailer. The book mentioned it frequently, and it added to the dreary vision in your mind of McCarthy's post apocalyptic world.

I had my doubts about this film when it was delayed last fall. I believe the essential problem here is trying to faithfully adapt the book, which has sparse dialogue and numerous moments of boredom. These moments, while appealing in the book, don't translate well into film if you're putting millions into post production (ie, Special FX of cities). You figure at the end of the world it isn't going to be adventure, as much as boredom and a fight for survival outside of battling cannibals. I wonder from this trailer if the cannibal angle is going to be pushed heavily.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ May 15, 2009 -> 03:05 AM)
I'm sure there are going to be many people faithful to the novel very upset with this trailer. It's obvious they're attempting to appeal to the general public . First off, if the movie is going to be at all close to be book the whole intro with global warming and a tornado is deceiving. Cormac McCarthy himself said in an interview that when writing of the destruction he had envisioned an asteroid hitting the planet. That would explain devastation on a scale that covers large amounts of land, blocks out the sun, and turns the Atlantic ocean grey from fallen ash. On that note, it's EXTREMELY disappointing not to observe any ash in this trailer. The book mentioned it frequently, and it added to the dreary vision in your mind of McCarthy's post apocalyptic world.

I had my doubts about this film when it was delayed last fall. I believe the essential problem here is trying to faithfully adapt the book, which has sparse dialogue and numerous moments of boredom. These moments, while appealing in the book, don't translate well into film if you're putting millions into post production (ie, Special FX of cities). You figure at the end of the world it isn't going to be adventure, as much as boredom and a fight for survival outside of battling cannibals. I wonder from this trailer if the cannibal angle is going to be pushed heavily.

That's weird, I took it as a nuclear war, when I read the book.

I can't see the trailer at work, I'll watch later, but I'd agree the movie wouldn't work so well without the ash... and trying to make it a global warming thing would piss me off. Completely wrong effect.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 14, 2009 -> 08:01 PM)
I went and saw Star Trek tonight.

Note: I do not own a book, game, or DVD/VHS collection of the TV series' or any movies; I do not go to conventions or dress up.

I do know relations with a woman and I do not dislike JJ Abrams.

I have, however, read books, watched movies, watched many tv episodes.

I liked it overall, but I didn't really care for

them changing some things about the franchise's history.

I can get over the idea of the original NCC-1701 not being destroyed and the NCC-1701-A not being Kirk's first ship.

I can understand Pike surviving in a better state than the series.

I didn't really care for Kirk not being born in Iowa and his dad dying.

The Spock/Uhura thing was a bit unsettling.

The "Vulcan planet blowing up/ Spock's mom dying" part really seemed just...not right, though.

I wish that there would have been a way to undo Nero's changes to Star Trek history.

I'll let Balta read this after he sees it, so he can agree or disagree with me.

I give it a solid 3 stars as a movie, but people who know the series' history will not like it as much as a casual movie-goer.

Both the original series and this exist in alternate timelines. Why does this stuff bother you so much?

QUOTE (longshot7 @ May 15, 2009 -> 05:03 PM)
Both the original series and this exist in alternate timelines. Why does this stuff bother you so much?

Outside of the

destroying of Vulcan

, it doesn't bother me; but why make a "Star Trek" movie if

you aren't goin to keep with the franchise's history

?

You could have easily used "Alpha Quest" or "Space Travelers" and done whatever you wanted.

This f***ing sucks, I have to go see Soloist for the SECOND time because I promised my friend I would go see it with her but I seen it a couple weeks ago and I cant tell her that. Now I have to go watch this thing acting like I never seen it. I know you guys have had to do this more than a few times.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 15, 2009 -> 05:26 PM)
This f***ing sucks, I have to go see Soloist for the SECOND time because I promised my friend I would go see it with her but I seen it a couple weeks ago and I cant tell her that. Now I have to go watch this thing acting like I never seen it. I know you guys have had to do this more than a few times.

PROGNOSIS NEGATIIIIIIVE!

QUOTE (shipps @ May 15, 2009 -> 05:26 PM)

Nope.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ May 15, 2009 -> 02:05 AM)

I think, as far as translating it on film, the ash isn't a big deal. It is an apocalypse of some sort, and I think as long as it looks bleak and grim and hopeless, it'll work. It is concerning to see green grass in the trailer while the two are huddled out before an abandoned building.

Your point about the novel having little dialogue means that the director has to make the landscape the star of the film. It has to be consistent, as it is in the book. Every page that is turned in the book, the end gets closer, and their future looks no brighter. Every triumph they have is only a means to walk twenty more miles. This is because McCarthy keeps reminding us what it looks and feels like around them.

Then, the trailer leads us to believe that the movie has taken liberties (tornadoes, wild oceans, the wife) and they're going to concentrate on "the bad guys," and turn it into a s***ty thriller. f*** that.

And I just noticed, in the trailer, they don't have a shopping cart anywhere.

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE (BobDylan @ May 15, 2009 -> 09:27 PM)
I think, as far as translating it on film, the ash isn't a big deal. It is an apocalypse of some sort, and I think as long as it looks bleak and grim and hopeless, it'll work. It is concerning to see green grass in the trailer while the two are huddled out before an abandoned building.

Your point about the novel having little dialogue means that the director has to make the landscape the star of the film. It has to be consistent, as it is in the book. Every page that is turned in the book, the end gets closer, and their future looks no brighter. Every triumph they have is only a means to walk twenty more miles. This is because McCarthy keeps reminding us what it looks and feels like around them.

Then, the trailer leads us to believe that the movie has taken liberties (tornadoes, wild oceans, the wife) and they're going to concentrate on "the bad guys," and turn it into a s***ty thriller. f*** that.

And I just noticed, in the trailer, they don't have a shopping cart anywhere.

pic of the cart WITH the mirror.

62129918.jpg

also i read about the grass....they've went through the movie and edited the grass coloring, effects probably weren't added for the trailer.

Edited by onedude

QUOTE (knightni @ May 14, 2009 -> 10:01 PM)
I went and saw Star Trek tonight.

I liked it overall, but I didn't really care for

them changing some things about the franchise's history.

I actually though what they did was genious.

It allows J.J. to "reboot" the franchise and not be stuck trying to wedge into existing cannon.

QUOTE (onedude @ May 15, 2009 -> 09:07 PM)
pic of the cart WITH the mirror.

62129918.jpg

also i read about the grass....they've went through the movie and edited the grass coloring, effects probably weren't added for the trailer.

YAY!

Wow that was worse than Dirk Diggler's.

Saw Star Trek last night, and I thought it was great. Lots of funny moments and great actions sequences. I never cared for the TV shows either. Saw First Contact in the theatre but I don't really remember it too well.

Just watched The Fisher King for the first time and wasn't very moved by it. It was very cricially acclaimed (although it did get two thumbs down) but I just wasn't feeling it.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ May 16, 2009 -> 04:33 PM)
Wow that was worse than Dirk Diggler's.

Saw Star Trek last night, and I thought it was great. Lots of funny moments and great actions sequences. I never cared for the TV shows either. Saw First Contact in the theatre but I don't really remember it too well.

Just watched The Fisher King for the first time and wasn't very moved by it. It was very cricially acclaimed (although it did get two thumbs down) but I just wasn't feeling it.

I like that movie, but I could see where you wouldnt be "feeling it". I like how the story intertwines the characters lives with each other. I also see a little Dude in Jeff Bridges character here and there

Saw Star Trek last night. Enjoyed it, good movie. Not quite great maybe.

I feel like they should have done more with the antagonist character - he just wasn't interesting. When you have an actor of that caliber, and its a space opera like this, you need to do more with that. Nicholas Meyer did this the right way in his two Trek films (II Wrath of Khan, and VI Undiscovered Country).

Other than that though, I thought it was very well done. Definite thumbs up.