Films Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saturday Night Live cast member Will Forte confirmed last night on "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon" that a movie based on the SNL character 'MacGruber' will be filmed this summer, while SNL is on its summer break. The script has already been completed and was written by Forte, his SNL writing partner John Solomon, and the Lonely Island's Jorma Taccone (who often directs the 'MacGruber' segments for SNL.) The only announced cast members so far are Forte and Kristen Wiig.

This will be the first film based on an SNL sketch since 2000's "The Ladies Man" (Unless you count last year's barely-released "Harold", which was based on a short film that appeared on the show in 2004- and really, why would you?) It's also sure to be the film with the least surprising surprise ending in Hollywood history (Spoiler alert:

Explosion!

)

LINK

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 02:47 PM)
I don't think I've ever laughed at that character, its just not funny. A movie? Seriously?

Yes, this is going to make Ladies Man, Superstar, and Roxburry look like good movie ideas by comparison.

How about cutting to the chase and doing that Toonces the Cat Who Could Drive a Car movie you know they're dying to do?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 03:39 PM)
What could they possibly come up with material-wise? The skit is too long as it stands.

Not to mention they do multiple skits per show. I think its awful and dont get it.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 10:21 PM)
I just got done watching Stranger Than Fiction. I really liked it, and was extremely surprised at how good Will Ferrell was in it.

Yeah that was a nice little flick.

Personally, I love the MacGruber skits but I don't see how you're going to make an 80-minute flick based on that concept.

I presume it'll wind up just being a full-on McGuyver parody.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (RibbieRubarb @ May 30, 2009 -> 11:04 AM)
UP can truly be considered one of Pixar's best, if not one of the best of the year so far. Most recent live action romantic movies wish they has the emotional whalop in 90 minutes that UP has in its first 10.

It is a glorious, thrilling adventure full of incredible images and characters that will delight any kid and adult. It is also one of the funniest films of the year. It is really a major achievement.

Plus...

Before the film is the teaser for Toy Story 3 which got the biggest applause from the audience last night

See it in 3-d or 2-d...it doesn't matter. Just go see it.

I can't wait to see UP!

I'm looking forward to TOY STORY 3, but Slinky jst won't be quite the same as he was in the past. :crying

I just got done watching Stranger Than Fiction. I really liked it, and was extremely surprised at how good Will Ferrell was in it.

Will Ferrell was in a flick called Winter Passing a couple years ago. Its a really good movie.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 08:12 PM)
I know what you mean, Vern.

I dont know about you, but when I saw the preview and Slinky dog talked, that was definitely Jim Varneys voice, and if it wasnt a very close imitator. I wonder if they used old sound clips of him for the character and kept the speaking roles down for him?

Interesting to note that all of the scenes involving Dustin Hoffman were shot at my school, UIC. It was surreal to see Ferrel and Hoffman walking around.

I was amazed at the repetitiveness of shooting, too. They must have shot a scene where both of them were exiting one building down a walkway for three straight hours.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 09:20 AM)
Interesting to note that all of the scenes involving Dustin Hoffman were shot at my school, UIC. It was surreal to see Ferrel and Hoffman walking around.

I was amazed at the repetitiveness of shooting, too. They must have shot a scene where both of them were exiting one building down a walkway for three straight hours.

I really had no idea they were going to be on campus; then one day I'm walking to my Econ class and Dustin Hoffman is five feet away. Obviously, no one expects to see an Academy Award winning actor on campus, so it didn't click right away. I casually nodded hello to him, and then about 15 seconds later I thought to myself, "That guy really looked a lot like Dustin Hoffman." I didn't get a chance to meet either of them after that, but it was a pretty awesome to be around when the movie was being shot and to have that mini run in with Mr. Hoffman.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 10:12 AM)
I dont know about you, but when I saw the preview and Slinky dog talked, that was definitely Jim Varneys voice, and if it wasnt a very close imitator. I wonder if they used old sound clips of him for the character and kept the speaking roles down for him?

I haven't checked out the clip yet. I assume Jim Varney ala' Slinky Dog and Ernest is a pretty easy voice to impersonate.

I have mixed feelings about another Toy Story. Toy Story 2 was a decent enough film, but with all of Pixar's stuff being so original I really like the fact that they haven't gone the easy route and just gone into sequel mode on the other franchise films.