Films Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kudos to Pixar for this story......

HUNTINGTON BEACH – Colby Curtin, a 10-year-old with a rare form of cancer, was staying alive for one thing – a movie.

From the minute Colby saw the previews to the Disney-Pixar movie Up, she was desperate to see it. Colby had been diagnosed with vascular cancer about three years ago, said her mother, Lisa Curtin, and at the beginning of this month it became apparent that she would die soon and was too ill to be moved to a theater to see the film.

After a family friend made frantic calls to Pixar to help grant Colby her dying wish, Pixar came to the rescue.

The company flew an employee with a DVD of Up, which is only in theaters, to the Curtins’ Huntington Beach home on June 10 for a private viewing of the movie.

The animated movie begins with scenes showing the evolution of a relationship between a husband and wife. After losing his wife in old age, the now grumpy man deals with his loss by attaching thousands of balloons to his house, flying into the sky, and going on an adventure with a little boy.

Colby died about seven hours after seeing the film.

With her daughter’s vigil planned for Friday, Lisa Curtin reflected about how grateful she is that Pixar – and "Up" – were a part of her only child’s last day.

“When I watched it, I had really no idea about the content of the theme of the movie,” said Curtin, 46. “I just know that word ‘Up’ and all of the balloons and I swear to you, for me it meant that (Colby) was going to go up. Up to heaven.”

Pixar officials declined to comment on the story or name the employees involved.

Full story

:notworthy :notworthy

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 03:36 PM)
Oh, ok. I saw that and agree. Is that the very beginning scene? And is that Jesse James?

Yeah, it's the train robbery scene and it is Jesse James.

Brad Pitt's performance in that was so underrated. Much better than Benjamin Button, which he was nominated for last year.

QUOTE (juddling @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 04:08 PM)
Kudos to Pixar for this story......

HUNTINGTON BEACH – Colby Curtin, a 10-year-old with a rare form of cancer, was staying alive for one thing – a movie.

From the minute Colby saw the previews to the Disney-Pixar movie Up, she was desperate to see it. Colby had been diagnosed with vascular cancer about three years ago, said her mother, Lisa Curtin, and at the beginning of this month it became apparent that she would die soon and was too ill to be moved to a theater to see the film.

After a family friend made frantic calls to Pixar to help grant Colby her dying wish, Pixar came to the rescue.

The company flew an employee with a DVD of Up, which is only in theaters, to the Curtins’ Huntington Beach home on June 10 for a private viewing of the movie.

The animated movie begins with scenes showing the evolution of a relationship between a husband and wife. After losing his wife in old age, the now grumpy man deals with his loss by attaching thousands of balloons to his house, flying into the sky, and going on an adventure with a little boy.

Colby died about seven hours after seeing the film.

With her daughter’s vigil planned for Friday, Lisa Curtin reflected about how grateful she is that Pixar – and "Up" – were a part of her only child’s last day.

“When I watched it, I had really no idea about the content of the theme of the movie,” said Curtin, 46. “I just know that word ‘Up’ and all of the balloons and I swear to you, for me it meant that (Colby) was going to go up. Up to heaven.”

Pixar officials declined to comment on the story or name the employees involved.

Full story

:notworthy :notworthy

This seriously almost made me cry at my computer.I dont cry ever but damn.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 11:34 PM)
Watched Mean Girls last week... made me kinda miss high school, and I was surprised at how not bad it was.

I liked it. It was the hottest Lohan has ever been. Entertaining.

"Gran Torino" was ok. Not as great as others made it out to be. No matter how hard I tried, I had problems getting past the awful acting of Tao.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 07:45 AM)
I liked it. It was the hottest Lohan has ever been. Entertaining.

"Gran Torino" was ok. Not as great as others made it out to be. No matter how hard I tried, I had problems getting past the awful acting of Tao.

Eastwood's part was really the only great acting part. Tao's sister was decent. I gave the movie 5/10, but add in Eastwood and it goes up to 6.5 or a 7/10

QUOTE (onedude @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 11:42 AM)
Eastwood's part was really the only great acting part. Tao's sister was decent. I gave the movie 5/10, but add in Eastwood and it goes up to 6.5 or a 7/10

I meant to post about this after watching it for the second time. i didnt notice the horrible acting as much when I seen it at the theatre. The priest and Clint were the only good actors in there. I was thinking to myself as I was watching it,how could Clint approve of these horrible actors and actresses to be in the same movie that he is a part of. Tao and his sister were absolutely brutal,they had laughable performances and will never be in any other big name movies for sure.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 11:48 AM)
I meant to post about this after watching it for the second time. i didnt notice the horrible acting as much when I seen it at the theatre. The priest and Clint were the only good actors in there. I was thinking to myself as I was watching it,how could Clint approve of these horrible actors and actresses to be in the same movie that he is a part of. Tao and his sister were absolutely brutal,they had laughable performances and will never be in any other big name movies for sure.

This is what I was thinking. He works with great actors all the time then casts those two. Tao was awful. When he was "acting" angry, I wanted to start laughing. He was that bad.

I watched two movies from Netflix yesterday. The first was Little Children. It was a quality movie and had some very good performances. It was nothing spectacular, but it's definitely worth a viewing at least once.

The second movie was Ed Wood. This was a Tim Burton movie, so of course it creeped me out somewhat (I always get a kind of uneasy feeling watching his flicks).

There were a couple of things that popped out at me. I couldn't help but feel like Heath Ledger drew from Johnny Depp's portrayal of Ed Wood for his Joker character. The way Ed Wood spoke seemed very similar to the Joker to me.

George "The Animal" Steele seemed, according to things I've read about Tor Johnson, to be perfect for his role. I'm not sure if that was actually him speaking, as Johnson was Swedish, but he was surprisingly good if it was him.

And Martin Landau was freaking incredible as Bela Lugosi. He won the Best Supporting Actor that year, but he had so much face time in the movie that they probably could've nominated him for Best Actor and it would've been justified. He stole that movie without a doubt. It was honestly one of my favorite performances ever.