Films Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 12:26 PM)
I like the 10 movie nods. Why should the best movie have the same amount of entries as best supporting actor or actress?

Why do critics have top 10, not 5, lists? The Reader certainly did not deserve a nomination for best picture last year. WALL-E, The Dark Knight, Grand Torino, and The Wrestler were significantly better.

No they weren't.

Yes, they were. The first half of the movie was just Kate Winslet's hairy face, bad chest and huge feet all over some kid that was supposed to be 16 and the second half is filled with quite a few :rolly: moments.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 11:11 AM)
much better.

And I must say, that scene where she was dominating the mini-decepticon... umm.. yea.

lol yeah I thought the same thing. All in all I liked the movie. I didn't like the roommate, he annoyed the heck out of me. He reminded me of a Jar Jar Binks charecter. A complete coward who brings no positives to the movie. I thought the decepticon chick was extremely hot. I can always use some more Megan Fox to look at, which is why she's in my avatar.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 06:26 PM)
I like the 10 movie nods. Why should the best movie have the same amount of entries as best supporting actor or actress?

Why do critics have top 10, not 5, lists? The Reader certainly did not deserve a nomination for best picture last year. WALL-E, The Dark Knight, Grand Torino, and The Wrestler were significantly better.

http://criticstop10.com/

1. Wall-E

2. The Dark Knight

3. Slumdog Millionaire

4. Milk

5. The Wrestler

20. Gran Torino

23. Revolutionary Road

38. The Reader

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jul 5, 2009 -> 09:52 AM)
Yes, they were. The first half of the movie was just Kate Winslet's hairy face, bad chest and huge feet all over some kid that was supposed to be 16 and the second half is filled with quite a few :rolly: moments.

Sorry her tits ruined the movie for you. I'm not going to defend it, because it wasn't anything special, but amongst a weak class of movies, it was one of the better ones. I'd be interested to know what those rolly moments are, though.

The end with the donating of the money to a jewish foundation. Saving all fo her money for that?

The one trial the law student happens to go to a lecture is with her on the stand.

She used to have the prisoners read to her? Whatever.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jul 5, 2009 -> 08:39 PM)

The end with the donating of the money to a jewish foundation. Saving all fo her money for that?

The one trial the law student happens to go to a lecture is with her on the stand.

LOL

I'm not even sure why that made me laugh but it did.

Unfortunately, as much as I wanted to enjoy Public Enemies, I came away thoroughly disappointed. The character development was nil, and I really found no connection with any part of the film. Bale was... stale, Depp was alright but didn't really get to show off his acting chops...

It was "meh".

If it was just some flick I rented I'd probably have liked it somewhat, but for the hype and how long I've been waiting for it, Public Enemies was just a downright bad film.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 5, 2009 -> 09:53 PM)
Unfortunately, as much as I wanted to enjoy Public Enemies, I came away thoroughly disappointed. The character development was nil, and I really found no connection with any part of the film. Bale was... stale, Depp was alright but didn't really get to show off his acting chops...

It was "meh".

If it was just some flick I rented I'd probably have liked it somewhat, but for the hype and how long I've been waiting for it, Public Enemies was just a downright bad film.

That shouldn't surprise anyone. To me, he is stale in everything.

I watched Flags of Our Fathers and My Left Foot: The Story of Christy Brown. They were both solid movies. I have to agree with the general assessment that Letters from Iwo Jima was better than Flags of Our Fathers, but it was still a very good movie. My Left Foot was also very good, and was carried a lot by great performances by the main cast.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jul 5, 2009 -> 08:39 PM)

So, that stuff makes you roll your eyes... but the end of Gran Torino doesn't?

http://criticstop10.com/

1. Wall-E

2. The Dark Knight

3. Slumdog Millionaire

4. Milk

5. The Wrestler

20. Gran Torino

23. Revolutionary Road

38. The Reader

...and the scores from the time to movie came out (although this doesn't reflect how much the critic enjoyed it)

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/top/bestofrt...r.php?year=2008

The Wrestler 98%

Let The Right One In 98%

Wall-E 96%

The Dark Knight 94%

Milk 94%

Slumdog Millionaire 94%

Iron Man 93%

Frost/Nixon 92%

The Reader 62%

Oh but that academy just loves the Holocaust!

There better be some great films coming out later this year because 2009 has been filled with duds

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/top/bestofrt...r.php?year=2009

The 10 best major films:

1. Up 97%

2. Star Trek 95%

3. Drag Me To Hell 93%

4. Coraline 88%

5. Adventureland 88%

6. State of Play 85%

7. Two Lovers 84%

8. I Love You, Man 82%

9. The Hangover 78%

10. Sunshine Cleaning 73%

I can only see Up being nominated when the time comes, but it would be impressive to see if Star Trek was selected ala Raiders of the Lost Ark or Star Wars from years ago.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 04:49 AM)
I can only see Up being nominated when the time comes, but it would be impressive to see if Star Trek was selected ala Raiders of the Lost Ark or Star Wars from years ago.

With a 10 movie field, it's actually possible. That's half the reason they expanded to 10 films.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 05:49 AM)
Oh but that academy just loves the Holocaust!

Alright, alright.... I have to ask...

Do you understand that The Reader is not about the Holocaust, but instead about that boy/man? The Holocaust is a prop to the plot and that guy's emotions. Very little more.

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 03:06 PM)

Do you understand that The Reader is not about the Holocaust, but instead about that boy/man? The Holocaust is a prop to the plot and that guy's emotions. Very little more.

Nope, it's about boobs, feet and hair. :lolhitting

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 04:06 PM)

No one really cares what you have to say as long as she stays as you signature :headbang :lolhitting

I'd rather whenever you reply, just post "Look Below".

Edited by onedude

watched return of the jedi over the weekend on spike... I think it's stupid how they edited the ending to have Hayden Christiensen appear as Anikan Skywalker. If Luke Skywalker saw that guy, he would have been like "WTF? Who's this dude? He's younger than me!" Also, why does Darth Vader revert to his young self, while Yoda and Obi-Wan are still their old selves?

However, I guess you can say Anikan Skywalker died a long time ago and when Luke made Darth Vader find the light side again, he freed Anikan, or something like that.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 11:13 PM)
Just watched Kramer vs. Kramer. That was incredible.

Justin henry, aka billy kramer, is the youngest actor ever nominated in the academy history at only 8 years old. Worked out real well for him.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 11:08 PM)
watched return of the jedi over the weekend on spike... I think it's stupid how they edited the ending to have Hayden Christiensen appear as Anikan Skywalker. If Luke Skywalker saw that guy, he would have been like "WTF? Who's this dude? He's younger than me!" Also, why does Darth Vader revert to his young self, while Yoda and Obi-Wan are still their old selves?

However, I guess you can say Anikan Skywalker died a long time ago and when Luke made Darth Vader find the light side again, he freed Anikan, or something like that.

I dont know of any director that has come back to a moneymaking franchise like Star Wars and managed to completely ruin it for the foreseeable future like Lucas has.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 09:22 AM)
I dont know of any director that has come back to a moneymaking franchise like Star Wars and managed to completely ruin it for the foreseeable future like Lucas has.

He was never a very good director to begin with IMO. Lets face it, most of us wouldn't think the original 3 Star Wars films were all that good if we were in our 20s and 30s when we first saw them. He's lucky that a generation of 7-13 years olds that saw them when they first came out have elevated those three films to epic status.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 09:27 AM)
He was never a very good director to begin with IMO. Lets face it, most of us wouldn't think the original 3 Star Wars films were all that good if we were in our 20s and 30s when we first saw them. He's lucky that a generation of 7-13 years olds that saw them when they first came out have elevated those three films to epic status.

Shut your dirty whore mouth. Don't ever speak negatively about Star Wars.