Films Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Brian @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 08:55 PM)
"Into The Wild"? Anyone? Would like to see it Tuesday if it is playing near me.

Having read the book, and being an outdoorsman, I will probably see this movie, and probably hate it. The moral of the story, really, is that that kid was very, very, very stupid. The book does understand that. But I somehow see this movie trying to somehow make his "journey" into something accidental or even heroic. I hope I'm wrong.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 04:38 PM)
I saw "Eastern Promises" last night. It was solid.

Interesting movie about the Russian mob in London, starring Viggo Mortensen.

There were a couple pretty brutal killing scenes, but it's mostly a plot-driven movie, which I always prefer.

I especially liked the part where the movie ends without resolution.........

QUOTE(Soxy @ Sep 27, 2007 -> 08:31 AM)
Liking Hitchcock is a watermark for a successful relationship. Don't like him? Sorry, not going to work.

She likes the other ones (North by Northwest, Man Who Knew, Rebecca, Marnie, etc) but doesnt get Vertigo. It does require a suspension of disbelief, but then again, what movie doesn't?

My thesis film for film school was a sort of Vertigo in high school. She liked that, but then again, she's biased.

Saw a great old noir film btw last week called Criss Cross. anyone ever see that movie? Burt Lancaster, armored truck robbery goes wrong, great film.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 08:26 AM)
Having read the book, and being an outdoorsman, I will probably see this movie, and probably hate it. The moral of the story, really, is that that kid was very, very, very stupid. The book does understand that. But I somehow see this movie trying to somehow make his "journey" into something accidental or even heroic. I hope I'm wrong.

Sure the kid did some reckless things and made stupid mistakes, but was his pursuit and search for whatever he was searching for stupid?

If the film makes the same point that he was a very, very, very stupid kid, will you find the film more enjoyable?

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Oct 3, 2007 -> 02:37 AM)
Sure the kid did some reckless things and made stupid mistakes, but was his pursuit and search for whatever he was searching for stupid?

If the film makes the same point that he was a very, very, very stupid kid, will you find the film more enjoyable?

I think that needs to be one of the messages, yes, in order for the movie to be faithful to the material. It doesn't have to be THE point, as there are certainly other themes present, as you point out.

My fear is more than the film will make him out to be a hero. I don't find him to be a hero - I find him to be selfish and short-sighted, and his family and friends paid the price. If that isn't a strong message, then the movie will miss the mark.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 3, 2007 -> 08:29 AM)
I think that needs to be one of the messages, yes, in order for the movie to be faithful to the material. It doesn't have to be THE point, as there are certainly other themes present, as you point out.

My fear is more than the film will make him out to be a hero. I don't find him to be a hero - I find him to be selfish and short-sighted, and his family and friends paid the price. If that isn't a strong message, then the movie will miss the mark.

You're probably right about the hero aspect. Penn has been doing a lot of press for the film. He was on Oprah and Charlie Rose recently. I don't think Penn read the book and thought: "here's a really, really stupid kid, I think I'll make a film about him".

I'm glad you're gonna see the film, give us a review.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Oct 4, 2007 -> 05:02 PM)
Sweeney Todd trailer arrives!!!!

Oh man this looks so sweet! Johnny Depp+Tim Burton+blood=AWESOME!

Btw, those of you who don't know...this is a musical. A brilliant one, at that.

Been waiting for this to come out since I heard they were making it. Looks sweet.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Oct 4, 2007 -> 05:02 PM)
Sweeney Todd trailer arrives!!!!

Oh man this looks so sweet! Johnny Depp+Tim Burton+blood=AWESOME!

Btw, those of you who don't know...this is a musical. A brilliant one, at that.

I still think it's pretty cool that they got Dave Vanian to play Johnny Depp. :D

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 4, 2007 -> 07:19 PM)
Rented "The Lookout" with that kid from 3rd rock from the sun. Better than I thought it was going to be, plot was weak but he was somewhat convincing as a mentally challenged kid.

have you seen "Brick"?

highly reccomended.

Michael Clayton

Recommended. Out in limited theathers right now. Go see it if you can. A smidge over the top here and there, but really great characters, good tension, excellent acting (and I don't mean Clooney - others steal the movie), solid cinematography... overall really good film.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 8, 2007 -> 10:44 AM)
a trailer for the german production of The Red Baron. I think this looks awesome, some of those dogfight scenes are amazing

That's Lena Headey in the female lead.

Bild_4.jpg

I'm strugggling hard to not make a crude joke about checking out her Sopwith Cameltoe. . .

;)

Edited by FlaSoxxJim