Films Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Oct 8, 2007 -> 12:12 PM)
Watched "Happiness" over the weekend. What a disturbing film. Did not leave me feeling happy.

The Pursuit of Happyness? That was one of the most unintentionally depressing movies I have ever seen. Its one thing to be depressed after say Schindlers list or Hotel Rwanda, its another after this movie.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 8, 2007 -> 01:14 PM)
The Pursuit of Happyness? That was one of the most unintentionally depressing movies I have ever seen. Its one thing to be depressed after say Schindlers list or Hotel Rwanda, its another after this movie.

No. The movie title is "Happiness".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0147612/

I just saw out this trailer on screenrant.com

I will never forgive Hayden Christiansen for his whiny portrayal of Anakin Skywalker(and also Samuel Jackson for his overkill of Mace Windu), but I am definitely going to check this one out.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Oct 11, 2007 -> 11:20 PM)
Just got back from watching "Into The Wild" and I enjoyed it tremendously. The cinematography is amazing and there are also a few outstanding performances. The best thing Penn does in this film is to focus not on what the kid was running from, but what he was running to.

Waiting for it to come to a theatre near me still.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Oct 8, 2007 -> 01:12 PM)
Watched "Happiness" over the weekend. What a disturbing film. Did not leave me feeling happy.

Disturbing but funny in a Welcome to the Dollhouse sort of way. . .

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 08:40 AM)

I just saw out this trailer on screenrant.com

I will never forgive Hayden Christiansen for his whiny portrayal of Anakin Skywalker(and also Samuel Jackson for his overkill of Mace Windu), but I am definitely going to check this one out.

This thing is finally coming out? Seems like it's been in production for ever.

It looks pretty coool. I'm convinced there is not much acting range toe speak of in either Christensen or Sam Jackson, but this seems like the kind of film that can surive un-nuanced acting.

QUOTE(knightni @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 10:56 AM)
I see that they're re-releasing "A Nightmare Before Christmas" at special locations in Disney's 3D format.

http://www.google.com/search?q=nightmare+b...amp;startPage=1

Put in your zip code for showtimes near you.

I saw this in 3d about a year ago and it was pretty cool. I had actually never seen the movie completely either (until seeing it in 3d).

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 01:10 PM)
This thing is finally coming out? Seems like it's been in production for ever.

It looks pretty coool. I'm convinced there is not much acting range toe speak of in either Christensen or Sam Jackson, but this seems like the kind of film that can surive un-nuanced acting.

I agree, this movie doesnt have to be a smart movie, its all about the action. I dont expect a intense and lengthy dialogue from either Jackson or Christiansen

It annoys me how many different DVD's came out for the Fantastic Four. Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy had their own deal and you could buy the 2 disc special, or both Fantastic Four special, that's like 5 different DVD deals right ther. I'm sure this is going to happen with Transformers and probably Spiderman as well later this month.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 04:16 PM)
I agree, this movie doesnt have to be a smart movie, its all about the action. I dont expect a intense and lengthy dialogue from either Jackson or Christiansen

Christiansen's wheelhouse is apathetic and unemotional...this movie looks like a hit for him.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Oct 13, 2007 -> 08:21 AM)
Christiansen's wheelhouse is apathetic and unemotional...this movie looks like a hit for him.

He wasnt so bad in "Life as a House" with Kevin Kline.

But like I said, that was not my mental image of Darth Vader's twisted past and younger years.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 13, 2007 -> 09:51 AM)
He wasnt so bad in "Life as a House" with Kevin Kline.

But like I said, that was not my mental image of Darth Vader's twisted past and younger years.

He was great in that and in "Broken Glass"....but he played the same character: a self-absorbed, emotionally deficient boy hiding from his true problems.

it's also known as the "Ryan Phillipe"...who ironically starred in "Breach" which was directed by the same guy as "Broken Glass"

He must have thing for emotionless, boring actors.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Oct 11, 2007 -> 10:20 PM)
Just got back from watching "Into The Wild" and I enjoyed it tremendously. The cinematography is amazing and there are also a few outstanding performances. The best thing Penn does in this film is to focus not on what the kid was running from, but what he was running to.

I'm so excited to see this. The Oscar buzz is huge as well. And the story behind Penn waiting 10 years to make it and his relationship with the family is so awesome also.

Finally saw Knocked Up. Yeah, guess it was good. I was dying of laughter as I was lead to believe I would be, but it had it's moments. I think the funniest thing about it was just thinking about how my sister-in-law went to see it with my mother-in-law! Neither of them read up on it before hand. :D

QUOTE(SnB @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 09:17 PM)
saw 'across the universe' last night, loved every minute of it. A bit on the weird side, but if you're a beatles guy, go see it.

I'd say it's good, not great. I especially enjoyed the way the music was interpreted and the context in which it was used. The acting brought it down a notch.

I agree, if you're a Beatles fan, go see it.

Heard Across the Universe was very Mamma Mia-- story was a pretense for the songs. Is that true?

no interest in Into the Wild - is there a plot? or does the guy wander aimlessly in the wilderness for two hours and then die?

went to the 30 Days of Night premiere last night - I loved it! Good suspense, story, acting, etc. The vampires weren't too cheesy, and Josh Hartnett actually was okay. Good action and violence too.

I recommend it.

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Oct 17, 2007 -> 11:21 AM)
no interest in Into the Wild - is there a plot? or does the guy wander aimlessly in the wilderness for two hours and then die?

I'm gonna guess you can safely remove Jack London, Sigurd Olson, John Muir, Aldo Leopold and Jon Krakauer from your reading list.