Films Thread

Chisoxfn

There Will Be Blood was outstanding. I know their rating system isn't scientific, but IMDB actually lists TWBB higher than No Country for Old Men -- the best picture of last year.

I've been waiting for someone to say they've abandoned something just so I can yell "I'VE ABANDONED MY CHILD!!!!!!!! I'VE ABANDONED MY CHILD!!! I'VE ABANDONED MY BOY!!!"

IMDB is just based on the public opinion and they have some funny system in place to prevent downvoting or upvoting. Metacritic weighs the critic's opinions more than Rottentomatoes.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Jun 17, 2008 -> 07:41 PM)
Yeah your way off on the Final stand being in the middle. It is by far the worse and just an utterly terrible movie.

Disagreed.

And agree with Santo on The Punisher, I liked that movie a lot.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jun 18, 2008 -> 12:34 PM)
IMDB is just based on the public opinion and they have some funny system in place to prevent downvoting or upvoting. Metacritic weighs the critic's opinions more than Rottentomatoes.

And that is why I have pretty much abandoned IMDB.

[/Gives Tizzle his opening]

QUOTE (KipWellsFan @ Jun 18, 2008 -> 09:53 PM)
I guess I'm a little nuts but I always enjoy M.Night films and The Happening wasn't any different.

I'm beyond astonished that anyone could find that movie entertaining in any other way than it's so awful it's funny.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 18, 2008 -> 05:54 PM)
Sorry but, outside of the Sixth Sense, his movies are crap.

Even Unbreakable and Signs suck.

See, for some reason I loved Signs when I saw it in theatres on opening weekend. Didn't like The Happening anywhere near as much, but I still enjoyed it.

I think one of the reasons I wasn't so annoyed by the movie was that I was never convinced that it actually was the plants that were killing the people. Seems that most people that saw the movie thought this idea was stupid. So did I to an extent. I couldn't believe the goofy greenhouse owner could have been the first character to get it right. But since I was never convinced that was actually what was doing it I wasn't so put-off. I thought it was also interesting that the news guy at the end said most people thought it was the government, not plants. Of course then it happens in France...

The acting was also strange, particularly Mark Wahlberg's, but the characters themselves were unconventional. Like what was Wahlberg's character supposed to be? A Science nerd, a comedian, alpha male leader, or a goof, or some combination?

Edited by KipWellsFan

I saw only one article on Get Smart but it ripped it almost as bad as Love Guru is getting ripped. Love Guru might possibly be the worse movie ever made (basing that solely off previews, which couldn't even get a chuckle out of me).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 22, 2008 -> 03:55 PM)
I enjoyed the new Hulk movie.

Eh.It was alright I am just done with all these comic book superhero movies.If it wasnt for Batman coming out soon I would say I wasnt going to watch another one in a REALLY long time.Its amazing that New York has atleast 133 f***ing superheros and monsters roaming around.Pick another city Hollywood.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 22, 2008 -> 03:22 PM)
Eh.It was alright I am just done with all these comic book superhero movies.If it wasnt for Batman coming out soon I would say I wasnt going to watch another one in a REALLY long time.Its amazing that New York has atleast 133 f***ing superheros and monsters roaming around.Pick another city Hollywood.

Well, Batman is in Gotham and Superman is in Metropolis. And the Xmen are in upstate New York (I think).

I love superhero action flicks, I dont mind the sudden surge in popularity. When you get a real stinker nowadays its kind of a surprise, mostly because of how great special effects are now and how much people want better scripts.

Wanted will be the first movie that I go to the theater to see in several months. The trailer looks cool as hell, and now its got a perfect 100% on rottentomatoes so far

They've been running trailers for it in the theatre since late winter, and I didn't think the movie looked good figuring it would be rated PG-13. Now that it's getting good reviews, Angenlia looks to get nekkid, and it's rated R from stronger violence, I'm more inclined to see it.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 09:21 AM)
The Love Guru is getting raped and trashed. Supporting my thought that Mike Meyers is not that funny.

I love the Austin Powers trilogy but god does the Love Guru look like complete garbage.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 11:42 AM)
I want to see Get Smart for no other reason than I couldn't think of a better 99 than Steve Carrell. He is the originals guys twin or something.

99 is Maxwell Smart's wife in the series and played by the delectable Anne Hathaway in the new film. I knew what you meant, but still had to do it.

If you want to flat out enjoy yourself for just under two hours, go rent "Be Kind Rewind."

It's rated PG-13, but I see no reason why a family couldn't enjoy it together. The wife and I rented it this weekend, and it's just flat out enjoyable. Not only are the film re-enectments hilarious, but the movie also has a great story. It helps that I adore Jack Black, but you'll like this one a lot even if you don't.

I'll probably give it another spin before returning it, it's that good.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 03:18 PM)
If you want to flat out enjoy yourself for just under two hours, go rent "Be Kind Rewind."

It's rated PG-13, but I see no reason why a family couldn't enjoy it together. The wife and I rented it this weekend, and it's just flat out enjoyable. Not only are the film re-enectments hilarious, but the movie also has a great story. It helps that I adore Jack Black, but you'll like this one a lot even if you don't.

I'll probably give it another spin before returning it, it's that good.

a Michael Gondry film.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Jun 22, 2008 -> 04:26 PM)
Wanted will be the first movie that I go to the theater to see in several months. The trailer looks cool as hell, and now its got a perfect 100% on rottentomatoes so far

Its only one review and it's by Brad Pitt. I don't count it.

:lolhitting

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 21, 2008 -> 09:03 PM)
With lowered expectations, Semi-Pro was actually pretty damn funny. The beginning was pretty slow, but there were definitely some laugh-out-loud moments.

I rented it and didnt even wait it out. I turned it off within 15 minutes.