Films Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 12:05 PM)
to be fair, it's not like his jump was from ten things I hate about you to the dark knight. He had oscar performances before in Brokeback mountain, and even in a short role you could see the shift to serious actor in Monster's Ball.

And, I think Ledger's performance might be a little better than cesar romero's performance.

Don't knock Ceasar! You can knock John Astin's Riddler, or Lee Merriweather's Catwoman, but Ceaasar's Joker and Merideths' Penguin are above reproach. Even if Romero couldn't be bothered to shave his moustache for the role, and even if his hair was red instead of green. :lolhitting

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 11:17 AM)
Don't knock Ceasar! You can knock John Astin's Riddler, or Lee Merriweather's Catwoman, but Ceaasar's Joker and Merideths' Penguin are above reproach. Even if Romero couldn't be bothered to shave his moustache for the role, and even if his hair was red instead of green. :lolhitting

Hell yeah, Romero was the goods.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 11:05 AM)
to be fair, it's not like his jump was from ten things I hate about you to the dark knight. He had oscar performances before in Brokeback mountain, and even in a short role you could see the shift to serious actor in Monster's Ball.

And, I think Ledger's performance might be a little better than cesar romero's performance.

The joker portrayal has become darker and more sinister as time goes by. Nicholson was still likeable and Romero was, um flamboyant. From what I've read, Ledger brings the darkness.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 12, 2008 -> 03:29 AM)
Care to spoiler any thoughts at me?

While I figured out that there was some history between them when she first saw him, I don't think it ruined the movie at all. I definitely didn't know for sure that they were previously married or that she was a super hero as well, but I knew something was up.

Charlize Theron is smoking hot in this movie btw.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 12, 2008 -> 04:34 AM)

While I figured out that there was some history between them when she first saw him, I don't think it ruined the movie at all. I definitely didn't know for sure that they were previously married or that she was a super hero as well, but I knew something was up.

The movie had 3+ hours worth of plot options and contradictions, which they squeezed into 1:45.

Why have the bully be a french he-she boy? Was there a point?

Were the drawings on the jail cell, that he carved, secret flashbacks to ancient memories or something?

I would have liked to see the wife be the hero at the end in the credits with Mike Epps instead of Hancock.

If they both were in LA for a few years, wouldn't both of their powers have been less, sooner?

How about Jason Bateman's heart logo idea? What happened after the moon trick? Did he sign companies up?

Maybe some flashbacks to when he got in the hospital (1920s noir, etc.).

Flashbacks to ancient Sumeria, Egypt, Greece etc would have been great.

Perhaps a less weenie bad guy too.

Two movies i have never seen before that I watched this weekend just by flipping through my cable package:

The Laughing Policeman (1973)

Walter Mathau, Bruce Dern, and Louis Gossett Jr were in this movie, about a few cops chasing after a mass murderer. I expected some form of comedy, but this was anything but. Lots of racism brought up as Dern's character is a complete dipstick and pisses everyone off repeatedly, and Mathau doesnt really say much to him. I am indifferent to this movie, it was kind of strange.

The Jacket (2007)

Adrien Brody, Kiera Knightley, Kris Kristoferson and Jennifer Jason Leigh star in this movie, and I was really impressed with Brody. He plays a Gulf war vet in 1992 who gets caught in the wrong place at the wrong time and gets blamed for something pretty awful, which gets him put in a mental hospital run by Kristoferson and where Leigh works. The way to cure people like Brody is to pump them full of drugss, put them in a straight jacket, and slide them in a morgue drawer for a night. this treatment causes Brody to be transported into 2007 where he finds out that he is dead, and dies in 1993, so he wants to find out how.

I loved this movie, I really did. Brody was very impressive, I really felt for his character

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 12, 2008 -> 01:30 AM)
I thoroughly enjoyed Hancock.

Not I. Immediately guessed her plot twist the second she bad acted when meeting him. Though I agree she was/is smoking hot in it.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 12, 2008 -> 08:21 PM)
Anyone see Hellboy 2? Looks darn entertaining from the previews.

I was one of the few that didn't dig the first one too much. Maybe I should watch it again.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 07:34 AM)
I looked up the toxicology report. Wow, I thought I was bad, that guy had a hard time falling asleep, eh?.

Isn't The Road too futuristic/sci/fi ??

It's based off the pulitzer prize winning novel by Cormac McCarthy (who wrote No Country for Old Men). I recall an article posted on Fark last week where it was rated as the best novel of the last 25 years. That doesn't mean it'll automatically be the cinematic equivalent of NCFOM, but from what I've read on the production, it's closely following the storyline. If the filmmakers capture the feeling of the novel I don't know how anything can compete with it. That's why I'm throwing all my praise onto this movie now.

There's nothing within the novel that sets an exact time period, though. It's about a father and son traveling across America in a post-apocalyptic setting. Technology is nonexistent.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 13, 2008 -> 03:34 PM)
Watching Walk the Line for the first time in a few years. Absolutely love this movie.

Same here,if I really gave it thought I think it would be in my top five favorite movies of all time.

Anyone else very excited about the Xfiles movie. I f***ing loved that show as a kid (didn't follow it as the show got older as there was a 4-6 year period where I didn't follow much new tv shows (than DVR's came out and I was able to figure out when new episodes were and just record em).

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 13, 2008 -> 05:31 AM)
It's based off the pulitzer prize winning novel by Cormac McCarthy (who wrote No Country for Old Men). I recall an article posted on Fark last week where it was rated as the best novel of the last 25 years. That doesn't mean it'll automatically be the cinematic equivalent of NCFOM, but from what I've read on the production, it's closely following the storyline. If the filmmakers capture the feeling of the novel I don't know how anything can compete with it. That's why I'm throwing all my praise onto this movie now.

There's nothing within the novel that sets an exact time period, though. It's about a father and son traveling across America in a post-apocalyptic setting. Technology is nonexistent.

I'll let you be the guinea pig. ;)

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 13, 2008 -> 09:38 PM)
Just finished watching it. Great flick. Thanks for the recommendation.

No problem, glad to be helpful in the movie watching department

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 13, 2008 -> 03:11 PM)
Batman next week?

No doubt about it brother.We can go Friday night although Juan is gonna bother me all day to go he will probably crap himself of anxiety.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 12, 2008 -> 08:21 PM)
Anyone see Hellboy 2? Looks darn entertaining from the previews.

Saw it yesterday.

Disclaimers: I did not see the first one, and wasn't all that excited to see the 2nd (except that it was directed by Del Toro).

I liked it, mostly. Not a spectacular movie, but fun, and very weird in spots. Strange creatures abound, not surprisingly given the director. A few really funny scenes, some good fight scenes, and visually the movie is very rich. Dialogue is stilted and forced at times, and the head baddie was kind of a disappointment as a character.

Overall, I'd recommend it. Good popcorn movie.