Films Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Nov 3, 2008 -> 11:48 AM)
my gf went in with the same attitude of "I'm going to walk out if I don't like it, and I'm going to try my best to not like it" and she ended up liking the movie more than I did. I thought the ending sucked (didn't stay around the credits long enough apparently) and it was a sappy-love story.

The movie had its moments for sure, but I think that it lacked character development. i really didnt care if Zack and Miri got together in the end.

Justing Long (Mac) made a great appearance... Brandon Routh looked out of place, bad cameo

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm old enough to remember watching 'Rocky' when it first came out. I've watched it two other times, most recently a few days ago on AMC. If you can look past the tough guy rah-rah BS, at it's core, that film is a love story... and damn good one. Talia Shire should have won the Oscar that year.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Nov 7, 2008 -> 03:56 PM)
The movie had its moments for sure, but I think that it lacked character development. i really didnt care if Zack and Miri got together in the end.

Justing Long (Mac) made a great appearance... Brandon Routh looked out of place, bad cameo

I don't understand how anyone couldn't see the movie would come down to being about Zack and Miri getting together (not sexual but relationship)

I knew that was coming before I even saw it

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 7, 2008 -> 07:40 PM)
I'm old enough to remember watching 'Rocky' when it first came out. I've watched it two other times, most recently a few days ago on AMC. If you can look past the tough guy rah-rah BS, at it's core, that film is a love story... and damn good one. Talia Shire should have won the Oscar that year.

Rocky IV, greatest movie of all time

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 8, 2008 -> 12:56 AM)
I got as far as the one with Dolph Lungren, was that 3? After that it got pretty silly.

The original is a classic.

No, thats 4

Hearts on Fire montage, greatest montage ever

Role Models was great and it was one of those times when I went in to it saying god I hope this movie makes me laugh because I really need one and it came through even with my bad mood.Bobbe Thompson the little black kid in the movie is soooo talented and funny he stole the show.

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 9, 2008 -> 08:17 PM)
Role Models was great and it was one of those times when I went in to it saying god I hope this movie makes me laugh because I really need one and it came through even with my bad mood.Bobbe Thompson the little black kid in the movie is soooo talented and funny he stole the show.

Role Models was probably the funniest movie of the year thus far. Why? because the actors took a really clever story and made characters you actually gave two s***s about. It probably revives Sean William Scott's career. Paul Rudd showed that he could carry a movie in addition to his usual "im the quikry sidekick role" (in comedy's anyway). Bobbe Thompson was great, and actually the only actor that dissapointed somewhat was Christopher Mint-Plasse (McLovin) who didn't add much to the role. The actor who stole the show for me was Jane Lynch, who delivered such an off the wall reform drug addict performance that I was rolling in the aisle a couple of times.

This film worked, because it didn't rely specifically on the circumstance to generate laughs. The premise has been done before many times, but "role models" developed the characters enough to where the jokes seemed to flow easily from the story, and didnt seem forced. At the end of the day, a well developed story with dick jokes trumps a story where extra dick jokes are needed to justify a s***ty story (see zack and miri).

This is a must see in my opinion... 3.5/4

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 11:58 AM)
Role Models was probably the funniest movie of the year thus far. Why? because the actors took a really clever story and made characters you actually gave two s***s about. It probably revives Sean William Scott's career. Paul Rudd showed that he could carry a movie in addition to his usual "im the quikry sidekick role" (in comedy's anyway). Bobbe Thompson was great, and actually the only actor that dissapointed somewhat was Christopher Mint-Plasse (McLovin) who didn't add much to the role. The actor who stole the show for me was Jane Lynch, who delivered such an off the wall reform drug addict performance that I was rolling in the aisle a couple of times.

This film worked, because it didn't rely specifically on the circumstance to generate laughs. The premise has been done before many times, but "role models" developed the characters enough to where the jokes seemed to flow easily from the story, and didnt seem forced. At the end of the day, a well developed story with dick jokes trumps a story where extra dick jokes are needed to justify a s***ty story (see zack and miri).

This is a must see in my opinion... 3.5/4

Great film

Why did he take the sleeping pills before hooking up with that chick? I missed that.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 01:14 PM)
I don't understand that at all.

Funny film and yes the kid was hilarious.

Nor should you.Its like they just wanted to throw that Ambien bit somewhere in the movie and picked there.BTW if they both took Ambien there would be no banging goin on afterwards,I gaurantee that.So it didnt even make sense to mix the two.

QUOTE (Shadows @ Nov 7, 2008 -> 10:21 PM)
I don't understand how anyone couldn't see the movie would come down to being about Zack and Miri getting together (not sexual but relationship)

I knew that was coming before I even saw it

I'm confused, im not sure if you were asking me how i didn't know that they were going to get together (i did) or if you are asking the question generally.

The argument I was trying to make is that... I knew they were going to get together, but the movie didn't get me to actually care if they did or didn't get together. I take the position that I didn't care because the story didn't develop the characters or their relationship enough to make me care at all about their chances of getting together.

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 01:49 PM)
Nor should you.Its like they just wanted to throw that Ambien bit somewhere in the movie and picked there.BTW if they both took Ambien there would be no banging goin on afterwards,I gaurantee that.So it didnt even make sense to mix the two.

Thank you, I thought it was me.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 04:01 PM)
I'm confused, im not sure if you were asking me how i didn't know that they were going to get together (i did) or if you are asking the question generally.

The argument I was trying to make is that... I knew they were going to get together, but the movie didn't get me to actually care if they did or didn't get together. I take the position that I didn't care because the story didn't develop the characters or their relationship enough to make me care at all about their chances of getting together.

No I wasn't asking you, but just looking at the previews and such it was obvious to me that they would end up being together by movies end..

Ha. Two movies I used to watch as a kid were on Encore this morning. Problem Child and Mannequin. Oh my God these movies suck when I watch them now but I sat through them, remembering sitting in my basement and watching them.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 11:04 AM)
Ha. Two movies I used to watch as a kid were on Encore this morning. Problem Child and Mannequin. Oh my God these movies suck when I watch them now but I sat through them, remembering sitting in my basement and watching them.

I still watch Problem Child if I see it on, so bad...yet so good. I think I just get a kick out of seeing kids do crazy s***.