Films Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 01:12 PM)
I thought Terrence Howard was so-so, and that Downey Jr. did a good job encapsulating the conflicted, Tony Stark A-hole persona, although the film took a lot of liberties and made him more solidly a good guy by the end of the film compared to the Stark of comic book canon. I thought Jeff Bridges was just about perfect in his role.

Well, Stark from later years, not the Stark that is presented in the early books. The early Stark isn't really a jerk in any way other than constantly giving Pepper a little run-around, which is done for the same reason that Matt Murdoch gives Karen Page the run around in Daredevil.

I like Downey Jr. for the most part, but I don't agree with a lot of the people who say he is perfect as Stark. Tom Selleck in his prime would have been a perfect Stark.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kid Gleason @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 02:27 PM)
Well, Stark from later years, not the Stark that is presented in the early books. The early Stark isn't really a jerk in any way other than constantly giving Pepper a little run-around, which is done for the same reason that Matt Murdoch gives Karen Page the run around in Daredevil.

I like Downey Jr. for the most part, but I don't agree with a lot of the people who say he is perfect as Stark. Tom Selleck in his prime would have been a perfect Stark.

You're right, the Stark the modeled Downy on was the original, millionaire playboy with just a bit of the military-industrial background thrown in. I think a lot of the hype about Downy being perfectly cast was reverencing the ironic, before the film came out when it was not really known how much of a role Stark's alcohol addiction would play in the story. Turns out, it wasn't that much.

I disagree that Selleck would ever have been good for the part. I actually think the perfect casting, in terms of both the brooding conflicted nature, and in terms of an homage to the Clark Gable look of the classic comic book Stark would have been Ralph Fiennes. That would have been the best casting job ever, maybe.

borat was WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY over-hyped and nowhere near as good or funny as said hype claimed it to be.

The Batman voice was annoying in the previous movie, but tolerable in The Dark Knight.

And I still don't get why Iron Man is mentioned along with The Dark Knight so much. I thought The Dark Knight was head and shoulders above it.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 01:46 PM)
You're right, the Stark the modeled Downy on was the original, millionaire playboy with just a bit of the military-industrial background thrown in. I think a lot of the hype about Downy being perfectly cast was reverencing the ironic, before the film came out when it was not really known how much of a role Stark's alcohol addiction would play in the story. Turns out, it wasn't that much.

I disagree that Selleck would ever have been good for the part. I actually think the perfect casting, in terms of both the brooding conflicted nature, and in terms of an homage to the Clark Gable look of the classic comic book Stark would have been Ralph Fiennes. That would have been the best casting job ever, maybe.

Fiennes is maybe a bit too thin, but otherwise yeah, he could work. Selleck has much of the looks of Stark though, height and build.

The thing about the booze-hound variation of Stark is that it didn't last for very long in the books. Well, the actual problem years. He is still sober in the books (exception being Iron Man: Viva Las Vegas in which he does drink, plus recent turns in the Marvel 616 Universe might lead him to drinking again...), but obviously an alcoholic. But that is still the Stark everybody thinks of when they think of Stark.

Caught a free screening of the Day the Earth Stood Still last night. Thoughts in black.

The movie itself was fairly disappointing. It ran only about an hour and a half, and it felt like the thing that was totally missing was any actual character development. So Klaatu is supposed to come to Earth with the job of removing mankind, but decide he likes us and then change his mind based on his experiences with the humans he meets. But they gave us like 5 minutes altogether of him actually interacting with humans, every scene seemed cut short to allow more action. They gave him like 30 seconds with the theoretical physicist. Now that would be a cool scene these days, clips from a couple hours of an alien and a physicist talking. They gave him like 2 minutes of character development with the family he meets. Etc. Just didn't work. Didn't make me care about the characters at all.

Anyway, on the science thing that they kept trying to sell us on, it was sort of clear they'd actually made some efforts to have a few things make sense, which was appreciated. The one scientific thing that bothered me, other than the thing I got in the NYT for, was the ending. To stop the earth destroying swarm he unleashes, Klaatu sets off a giant electromagnetic pulse that shuts down everything electronic on earth. Ok. Fine. That works. But um, hey, after that, without the ability to produce, you know, food, fertilizer, water, etc., using its technology, mankind is going to drop from 7 billion people to a couple tens of million within the space of a year or two. Kind of an odd way to save mankind.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 11:04 AM)
Caught a free screening of the Day the Earth Stood Still last night. Thoughts in black.

The movie itself was fairly disappointing. It ran only about an hour and a half, and it felt like the thing that was totally missing was any actual character development. So Klaatu is supposed to come to Earth with the job of removing mankind, but decide he likes us and then change his mind based on his experiences with the humans he meets. But they gave us like 5 minutes altogether of him actually interacting with humans, every scene seemed cut short to allow more action. They gave him like 30 seconds with the theoretical physicist. Now that would be a cool scene these days, clips from a couple hours of an alien and a physicist talking. They gave him like 2 minutes of character development with the family he meets. Etc. Just didn't work. Didn't make me care about the characters at all.

Anyway, on the science thing that they kept trying to sell us on, it was sort of clear they'd actually made some efforts to have a few things make sense, which was appreciated. The one scientific thing that bothered me, other than the thing I got in the NYT for, was the ending. To stop the earth destroying swarm he unleashes, Klaatu sets off a giant electromagnetic pulse that shuts down everything electronic on earth. Ok. Fine. That works. But um, hey, after that, without the ability to produce, you know, food, fertilizer, water, etc., using its technology, mankind is going to drop from 7 billion people to a couple tens of million within the space of a year or two. Kind of an odd way to save mankind.

One can argue the rate of population growth was going to destroy the planet anyway so bringing it back to modest levels is a good idea.

Just a general comment here:

The Dark Knight was a good movie. But judging on some of the comments here and other people I run into every day, if I had not seen it myself, I'd have to assume it was the greatest movie ever made. It wasn't even the best movie of the year, let alone among the top 5. Not only that, Batman Begins was better. And furthermore, Batman Begins isn't the best of the series.

Moving on...

Anyone that's seen Synecdoche, New York... can you make sense of it for me? (Besides the overall general point of the movie Kaufman was after.) Why the hell was that woman's house on fire? And the realtor's son living in the basement? Did the clocks/time play any significance? What was Kaufman trying to get across by jumping all around the sequence of time? What else?

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 07:46 AM)

The Dark Knight was a good movie. But judging on some of the comments here and other people I run into every day, if I had not seen it myself, I'd have to assume it was the greatest movie ever made. It wasn't even the best movie of the year, let alone among the top 5.

It's one of the best comic movies, if not the best, in many people's minds including myself.

Not only that, Batman Begins was better.

In your opinion.

And furthermore, Batman Begins isn't the best of the series.

In your opinion again.

I do a few internet surveys and am particpating in a movie one. The plot line is one main character is searching for an old US Civil War ironside ship in Africa while the hot babe is a Doctor chasing a plaque in Mali. Does it ring a bell with anyone?

QUOTE (Texsox @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 08:23 AM)
I do a few internet surveys and am particpating in a movie one. The plot line is one main character is searching for an old US Civil War ironside ship in Africa while the hot babe is a Doctor chasing a plaque in Mali. Does it ring a bell with anyone?

i cheated to get the answer, do you want it?

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 08:34 AM)
i cheated to get the answer, do you want it?

Yeah, the survey was basically about the ads that ran in the middle and how well they tied to the movie. I want to rent the movie

QUOTE (Texsox @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 08:41 AM)
Yeah, the survey was basically about the ads that ran in the middle and how well they tied to the movie. I want to rent the movie

Sahara with Matthey McCantspellhislastnameright-hay

I like the Batman voice better in the first one, but why didn't he use that voice the first time he met with Gordon? I know he didn't have the mask, but Gordon would have to know that this guy would be the same guy later wearing the batsuit.

At the end of the Dark Knight he voice was going on for too long as wouldn't it have been better if he went to his normal voice and Two-Face would then recognize him? Shouldn't Gordon at least hear it (again) so in the third one he can set up some protection if they started investigation Bruce Wayne?

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 09:13 AM)
Sahara with Matthey McCantspellhislastnameright-hay

Oh D'Oh. I knew that was him, looked up his credits and skipped over Sahara, thinking the title didn't sound right.

Damn, he is hot.

The Dark Knight was a good movie. But judging on some of the comments here and other people I run into every day, if I had not seen it myself, I'd have to assume it was the greatest movie ever made. It wasn't even the best movie of the year, let alone among the top 5. Not only that, Batman Begins was better. And furthermore, Batman Begins isn't the best of the series.

Moving on...

Anyone that's seen Synecdoche, New York... can you make sense of it for me? (Besides the overall general point of the movie Kaufman was after.) Why the hell was that woman's house on fire? And the realtor's son living in the basement? Did the clocks/time play any significance? What was Kaufman trying to get across by jumping all around the sequence of time? What else?

Amen, about DK

I was just as confused as you are about SNY. I gave up about 3/4 of the way into it.

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 08:46 AM)

Moving on...

I agree with everything you said, except maybe the last line of the first paragraph. The fact that men were using the word "breathtaking" to describe that movie was hilarious. If I ever used that word to describe anything, I'd hand in my man card.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 01:42 PM)
I agree with everything you said, except maybe the last line of the first paragraph. The fact that men were using the word "breathtaking" to describe that movie was hilarious. If I ever used that word to describe anything, I'd hand in my man card.

:lolhitting :lolhitting

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 12:42 PM)

The man card is overrated,its never helped any man getting a piece from the ladies so it really isnt worth two s***s IMO. Just throwing my two cents in about the man card now that you bring it up.