Catch-All Anything Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 16, 2007 -> 03:36 PM)
Inexplicably in the mood for some Pink Floyd now. :)

1185072965_f.jpg

I was just thinking how much fun LPs were when you could flip them over and listen to the other side. ;)

I just read this on Yahoo:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2007-1...name-game_N.htm

The part that caught my attention was this:

"major league baseball players whose first or last names began with K (the strikeout-signifying letter) are significantly more likely to strike out, according to the report published in the December issue of Psychological Science."

So here are the all-time single season strikeout leaders:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/SO_season.shtml

The FIRST person with a K in either name?

Dave Kingman, tied for 89th place, then Kingman again tied for 110th place.

The first non-Kingman K name?

Ron Kittle, tied for 135th place all-time.

Career strikeout leader for the letter K?

Kingman, 10th all-time, followed by Harmon Killebrew at 15, Ken Griffey Jr at 25 and Jeff Kent at 48.

Not exactly "significantly" more likely to strike out IMO...

QUOTE(The Critic @ Nov 16, 2007 -> 05:28 PM)

That's not at all how one would determine whether or not a correlation was significant. If nothing else, the obvious place to start is to determine the average. For every guy at the top of the list, there's a guy at the bottom of the list too. So you could probably calculate an average per player amongst each letter, and an average k/ab for each letter as well.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 16, 2007 -> 07:51 PM)
That's not at all how one would determine whether or not a correlation was significant. If nothing else, the obvious place to start is to determine the average. For every guy at the top of the list, there's a guy at the bottom of the list too. So you could probably calculate an average per player amongst each letter, and an average k/ab for each letter as well.

Nah, that's too much work. I lost interest halfway through my own post, for cryin' out loud!

:lol:

QUOTE(The Critic @ Nov 16, 2007 -> 08:28 PM)

"major league baseball players whose first or last names began with K (the strikeout-signifying letter) are significantly more likely to strike out, according to the report published in the December issue of Psychological Science."

Kingman, 10th all-time, followed by Harmon Killebrew at 15, Ken Griffey Jr at 25 and Jeff Kent at 48.

1. Reggie Jackson+* 2597 L

2. Sammy Sosa (38) 2306 R

3. Jim Thome* (36) 2043 L

4. Andres Galarraga 2003 R

5. Jose Canseco 1942 R

6. Willie Stargell+* 1936 L

7. Mike Schmidt+ 1883 R

8. Fred McGriff* 1882 L

9. Tony Perez+ 1867 R

10. Dave Kingman 1816 R

11. Bobby Bonds 1757 R

12. Craig Biggio (41) 1753 R

13. Dale Murphy 1748 R

14. Lou Brock+* 1730 L

15. Mickey Mantle+# 1710 B

16. Harmon Killebrew+ 1699 R

17. Chili Davis# 1698 B

18. Dwight Evans 1697 R

19. Rickey Henderson 1694 R

20. Dave Winfield+ 1686 R

6 of 20.

Yeah.

That theory works out well.

FWIW, Thome could have the record in 3 seasons.

Edited by knightni

QUOTE(The Critic @ Nov 16, 2007 -> 08:28 PM)

This was debunked by THT... There are something like 10 other letters that produce higher results.

You would also have to determine how often the letter K appears versus the other letters. To use an extreme example, if there were only 25 players with a "K name" and 23 where in the top 1,000 of all time, that would probably be significant. So it is more than just looking at the averages. If K represents 2% of the players and they are 5% of the strikeouts, that is significant.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 17, 2007 -> 09:18 AM)
You would also have to determine how often the letter K appears versus the other letters. To use an extreme example, if there were only 25 players with a "K name" and 23 where in the top 1,000 of all time, that would probably be significant. So it is more than just looking at the averages. If K represents 2% of the players and they are 5% of the strikeouts, that is significant.

They did... They used standard deviations.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 17, 2007 -> 06:26 PM)
I tried to warn people in the catch anything thread a while back. Now that you have seen it, go on Youtube, and watch the reactions of people. Some are quite good.

I made it about one second into the "good" part.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Nov 16, 2007 -> 11:33 PM)
2 girls 1 cup is the worst thing I ever have or will see in my life

That is just ridiculous. Have you seen the spoof done by John Mayer...so funny. But ya, I've never seen anything quite like 2 girls one cup.

One of the guys here at work got to about the "good part" and then stopped. I have no intention of seeing this thing.

One thought though. Once upon a time a person could make a film like this and be fairly sure that nobody they know would see this film. But now, thanks to the internet and how everybody now watches things that once upon a time they never would have, somewhere somebody just said:

"dude...that's your sister (daughter...whatever)".

QUOTE(The Critic @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 01:55 PM)
You really are the anti-jock, aren't you?

:)

You betcha. I went skiiing once. It consisted of me getting to the top of the hill, deciding I didn't like being that high, and walking down it. Everybody laughed at the idea of me skiiing and just pictured me standing on a hill smoking and saying how much it sucked. That was pretty much it.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 01:00 PM)
You betcha. I went skiiing once. It consisted of me getting to the top of the hill, deciding I didn't like being that high, and walking down it. Everybody laughed at the idea of me skiiing and just pictured me standing on a hill smoking and saying how much it sucked. That was pretty much it.

I'm with ya on skiing. I bet I could do it if I wanted to, but I've seen enough skiing injuries to figure it's not worth it to me.