2007 Post ASB MLB Catch-All Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 28, 2007 -> 09:10 PM)
LOL -- I'd say the vast majority of us don't need you to tell us that the Braves are a great organization. If you actually feel the need to explain to us why the Braves are a model, then I really shouldn't be having this conversation with you in the first place.

Not a model, the model. And once again, you've missed the point, but that's okay.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 29, 2007 -> 02:15 AM)
Not a model, the model. And once again, you've missed the point, but that's okay.

I've missed the point? That's funny, coming from the person who said:

I just think it's funny that people are saying, "Why are you holding up the Braves as a model of anything?

Can you find for me where I said this, Gregory Pratt? Please.

Much thanks in advance. Because if I didn't say it, it really serves no purpose in the thread.

That's fine though -- continue preaching why the Braves are awesome. If I have a question Braves, I will make sure to consult Braves Oracle Pratt.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 28, 2007 -> 09:42 PM)
I've missed the point? That's funny, coming from the person who said:

Can you find for me where I said this, Gregory Pratt? Please.

Much thanks in advance. Because if I didn't say it, it really serves no purpose in the thread.

That's fine though -- continue preaching why the Braves are awesome. If I have a question Braves, I will make sure to consult Braves Oracle Pratt.

Who says I was specifically referencing you?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 28, 2007 -> 06:52 PM)
Given Turner Field's reputation as something of a pitcher's park that can cut down a little bit on home runs...I think the Braves and Sox would be an ideal match for a Jon Garland for a shortstop type swap. Esp. given that JS has to expect he'll lose Tex after next year, and thus may have to do a genuine rebuilding program.

Following up, I posted on TalkingChop and this is the response I got:

Big time college sports programs are in the habit of saying that they don't rebuild, they reload; the Braves are one of the few professional sports franchises that can make such a boost.

Atlanta has struggled this year and last, but not because they didn't put together a roster that coudld compete, but rather because players unexpectedly underperformed or due to severe injury problems. That said, this team is good to go now, will be even better next year and (though few might agree) is poised to carry on its winning tradition well beyond that without missing a beat.

Sure, most of our prized vets (Smoltz, Chipper, Tex and Rents) will be retiring, leaving via free agency or traded, but our current young guns (Kelly, Heap, Francouer and Yunel) will be in the prime of their careers plus they'll be joined by other promising youngsters (Brandon Jones, Brent Lillibridge and Kala Ka'aihue) and possibly other, even younger studs (Thomas Hanson, Jordan Schaffer and Heyward) so there's no reason to panic.

From the outside looking in, I'm sure our situation seems dire. Even to those fans that only knew our more established prospects, the Tex trade shot a bit of fear into them about the future. But me, I'm not worried. This franchise was in good position to pull something like that off without jeopardizing the longterm potential of the big league club. Atlanta will be a contender for the foreseeable future and I wouldn't be surprised to see them putting up a new pennant before long.

I don't know most of those names well enough to comment on whether or not they'll be big difference makers, but I am willing to bet that just like most very talented youngsters, there's going to be an adjustment period...and with the sheer number of guys they're about to have to replace, I will be amazed if they don't take a step back for 09 and maybe a little longer.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 29, 2007 -> 04:44 PM)
Esteban Loaiza claimed off of waivers by the Dodgers. The Dodgers will assume over $1 million of his salary this year and $6.5 million of his salary next year.

They need Garland, and we need Furcal. Plus Garland would be ecstatic to play on the left coast. I am so hoping for that deal this offseason.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 06:06 AM)
They need Garland, and we need Furcal. Plus Garland would be ecstatic to play on the left coast. I am so hoping for that deal this offseason.

Think they'd give up Hu + a reliever instead? :D (I'd rather take the kiddie than the elder at this point, just for payroll reasons)

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 28, 2007 -> 09:15 PM)

Once again you are trying to prove a point without bringing up an important piece of the puzzle , Bobby Cox. What organization did John Shurholtz help turn around like Cox did with Toronto and now the Braves. The Royals experience taught him how to do things the right way but you need managers that can blend that talent and realize they are not GM's.

I also think St. Louis prior to the ownership change was the model organization. There were a-lot of things that went right for the Braves in the 90's but the fact of the matter is, the Braves and White Sox have he same amount of World Series wins over his tenue. The fact that they may miss the playoffs in a pathetic NL kind of tarnishes the organizational reloading theory a bit to me.

Also the difference with the cub chatter and Brave chatter is that many people on this board are affected negatively on a daily basis as a result of the cub success and this year it is more irritating than usual because they and the Sox suck.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 04:06 PM)
many people on this board are affected negatively on a daily basis as a result of the cub success

Yeah, and I don't feel bad for them at all. I'm from the NW side and I've had zero incidents in my life where I was negatively affected by some Cubs vs Sox nonsense. I wouldn't necessarily say that it's due to a lack of passion, either. I just don't see the point of engaging in debate with meatheads.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 11:06 AM)
Once again you are trying to prove a point without bringing up an important piece of the puzzle , Bobby Cox. What organization did John Shurholtz help turn around like Cox did with Toronto and now the Braves. The Royals experience taught him how to do things the right way but you need managers that can blend that talent and realize they are not GM's.

I also think St. Louis prior to the ownership change was the model organization. There were a-lot of things that went right for the Braves in the 90's but the fact of the matter is, the Braves and White Sox have he same amount of World Series wins over his tenue. The fact that they may miss the playoffs in a pathetic NL kind of tarnishes the organizational reloading theory a bit to me.

Also the difference with the cub chatter and Brave chatter is that many people on this board are affected negatively on a daily basis as a result of the cub success and this year it is more irritating than usual because they and the Sox suck.

Cox deserves plenty of credit. As to the rest? Schuerholz says that he doesn't think people who rip his organization for not winning the Series understand the game of baseball or the history of the Streak. And by the way, the Braves have been to more series in Schuerholz tenure than the White Sox in all their history. What does that mean? A variety of things. Most important of which is to ask, What, exactly, are you trying to say? when you say "Atlanta = Rings = Chicago." That's bulls*** and it's silly.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 11:37 AM)
Yeah, and I don't feel bad for them at all. I'm from the NW side and I've had zero incidents in my life where I was negatively affected by some Cubs vs Sox nonsense. I wouldn't necessarily say that it's due to a lack of passion, either. I just don't see the point of engaging in debate with meatheads.

I've had a couple small ones, but not in a long time.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 10:23 AM)
Think they'd give up Hu + a reliever instead? :D (I'd rather take the kiddie than the elder at this point, just for payroll reasons)

Oh heck, I didn't even think that was a remote possibility (acquiring Hu).

I'm rooting for Sergio Miranda to be that guy for the Sox in a couple years.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 12:13 PM)
Cox deserves plenty of credit. As to the rest? Schuerholz says that he doesn't think people who rip his organization for not winning the Series understand the game of baseball or the history of the Streak. And by the way, the Braves have been to more series in Schuerholz tenure than the White Sox in all their history. What does that mean? A variety of things. Most important of which is to ask, What, exactly, are you trying to say? when you say "Atlanta = Rings = Chicago." That's bulls*** and it's silly.

I am trying ot stay that Atlanta isn't THE MODEL organization. They could be one of them but you need to win more than once. I personally like how Flordia did it. The thing with using the term organization though is to try and decipher what that means. A GM, manager, scounting and owner. The change in ownership has hamstrung the Royals and Cardinals and now may be doing the same to the Braves. I would also argue that the Indians if they make the playoffs could be better than all of them as they have rebuilt their orgnaization because ownership made them. Has any team produced more impact players then they have over the last 12 years?

My rings theory was to point out that there are many different things that impact winning and making the playoffs. There is no doubt that orgnaizationally speaking the Braves are beetter than the White Sox but they also had some things go really right for them after being really really bad for many years (ie Doyle Alexander and Ted Turner's pocketbook). I grew up idolizing Dale Murphy, Bob Horner and Bedrock by the way.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 12:13 PM)

Well of course Schuerholz is going to say that. Man, we all understand how great of an organization the Braves are, we don't need to hear about it every other post from you though.

What a terrible division. I don't understand why the Cardinals sat Duncan against a RHP, as he's the 2nd best hitter against righty pitchers. Oh well....they have some home games coming up that they have to go like 5-1 or 4-2 at worse. I find it funny that Oswalt is going to end up facing the Cards and Brewers in two straight starts, but misses the Cubs this wknd.