2007 Post ASB MLB Catch-All Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 7, 2007 -> 10:25 PM)
The Cardinals pathetic infield defense, led by Miles and Branyan, have cost them two runs so far tonight. With Hudson possibly out for the year, I pray that if the Cubs make the playoffs, they don't face the Dbacks. That team is awful.

If the Diamondbacks are awful, what are the Cubs? I think Brandon Webb alone throwing left handed and batting with his eyes closed is enough to beat the Cubs.

Smoltz threw seven innings of no-hit ball yesterday before losing it to lead off the eighth. If this year makes people appreciate just how good Chipper Jones really is, what does it do for John Smoltz?

--

I'm really curious what's up with Mitchell's investigation. They said recently they were just about done but they haven't released anything. I don't believe that they will release much information on what they found. I'm not even sure they were seriously looking.

--

If the consensus opinion is correct and these are Barry Bonds' final days as a Giant, the man needs a proper send-off. Forget some downtown affair in mid-winter; it has to happen at the ballpark - specifically, the team's final home game on Wednesday night, the 26th, against San Diego.

Owner Peter Magowan has done a nice job masking his intentions on the Bonds issue, but several sources have confirmed that the decision will come "quickly" - as in, directly after the season. That rules out haggling over salary numbers, as well as explorations of the free-agent market. It means the long-overdue start of a new era.

In truth, the decision was probably made long ago. All these reports about seeing how well Bonds "holds up in September," or how much he's actually playing, are totally irrelevant. I'd imagine Magowan has known for months that Bonds won't be back, that home run No. 756 marked the expiration date of his usefulness to the franchise, and that Bonds sealed his fate with a disgraceful performance at the All-Star festivities.

First, he insulted Magowan by refusing to participate in the Home Run Derby, even for a cameo appearance that would have delighted fans - especially kids - around the Bay Area. Magowan was angry about that, and didn't mind telling the press. Then a party-mode Bonds stayed up late the night before the All-Star Game, and as a reward for all those fans who voted him into the starting lineup, he showed up drowsy and willing to leave the game after two tepid at-bats.

If the Giants want to bring back Bonds for another year, guaranteeing another fractured set of rules and an annoyance to every teammate who plays the game hard, that's their business. I can't imagine they'd be that stupid. It's time for a tribute to one of the greatest careers in the history of sports, and to a man whose name will forever be associated with the finest park in baseball.

It's likely that the only reason the Giants have delayed the announcement is that they don't want to irritate Bonds while he's still in uniform. As such, he might want no part of a ballpark ceremony. He could just jump into his car and blow off the final week of the season altogether, publicly ripping the organization at every opportunity.

I'd like to think he has a bit more class than that. A China Basin tribute could be a moving, unforgettable thing. Let's hope everyone has the good sense to pull it off

Edited by Gregory Pratt

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 9, 2007 -> 12:06 AM)
You'll still complain that they won one. :P

Sure, any win for the Cubs is bad right now. They're playing terrible baseball, and they're still going to be in the lead in the NL Central after today. And you have to know that Zambrano is going to go on a good stretch sooner or later.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 8, 2007 -> 07:13 PM)
Sure, any win for the Cubs is bad right now. They're playing terrible baseball, and they're still going to be in the lead in the NL Central after today. And you have to know that Zambrano is going to go on a good stretch sooner or later.

He'd better. I've got Fantasy playoffs starting next week!

But seriously, I don't think this team is particularly dangerous. They're more 2005 Padres than 2006 Cardinals, IMO.

Brewers and Cubs win. Let's get hot again.

PS: LaRussa is one of the greatest facilitators of steroids in the game. The Bash Brothers, Rick Ankiel, plenty of guys on the rosters besides the names, I'm sure, and he's always right there, steady like San Francisco.

Pretty interesting that not all franchises operate like that, though, or managers. Arizona is on record as saying that they got rid of people they thought were on steroids and Glaus was one of them.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 9, 2007 -> 02:47 AM)

PS: LaRussa is one of the greatest facilitators of steroids in the game. The Bash Brothers, Rick Ankiel, plenty of guys on the rosters besides the names, I'm sure, and he's always right there, steady like San Francisco.

Pretty interesting that not all franchises operate like that, though, or managers. Arizona is on record as saying that they got rid of people they thought were on steroids and Glaus was one of them.

That's funny, cause check out Arizona's best hitter the year they won the WS.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 8, 2007 -> 09:47 PM)

I actually have kinda figured that out recently too. Or, at the very least, that LaRussa's a dick and doesn't give a s*** what his players do, either on their own time or in improving as a baseball player, and it reflects upon his character as a person and a manager.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 9, 2007 -> 01:51 PM)
Brewers were up 8-1....and now it's 8-5. Needless to say, I won't be very happy if they happen to blow this.

Its over, Brewers won 10-5. Cubs lost by the same score. Cubs now 1 game back in the NLC.

STL to play tonight, will be either 2 or 3 games back of MIL, 1 or 2 back of CHC.