2007 Post ASB MLB Catch-All Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE(knightni @ Sep 26, 2007 -> 07:48 AM)
Cecil and Prince Fielder are the first father/son 50 hr guys.

And it's a damn shame instead of having the Bobby/Barry Bonds, Ken Griffey Sr./Jr. relationship they have the Rick Berry/Sons, Henry/Mike Bibby one. It's just a sad father/son relationship family wise.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 26, 2007 -> 12:07 PM)
That doesn't change the fact that the Padres have control of him over the next 2 years. If he's dealt, it will be after 2008, but with two years left of him, it'd be a mistake to deal him now, and Kevin Towers absolutely knows that.

Can you tell me which pieces exactly? I looked up and down their AAA and AA rosters, and found like 6 potential prospects based on numbers, and 3 of those were relievers. I don't know scouting reports nor do I know names of some of their more talented players, so I'm a bit curious.

But the Padres not trading Peavy stops the Braves from trading for Peavy. I can see it after next year; not this year. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Santana were dealt this offseason for reasons already explained.

I'm not going to get into their prospects. Go to Talkingchop.com if you're interested.

Besides that, I'm done with this speculatory, "Mets trade for Santana!" speculation. Even if they did, the Mets don't look that good to me going forward. They've got some aging guys and I just don't feel good about their roster going into the future.

Edited by Gregory Pratt

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 26, 2007 -> 04:47 PM)
I'm not going to get into their prospects. Go to Talkingchop.com if you're interested.

Besides that, I'm done with this speculatory, "Mets trade for Santana!" speculation. Even if they did, the Mets don't look that good to me going forward. They've got some aging guys and I just don't feel good about their roster going into the future.

Then how am I to give you credit for suggesting the Braves would be able to trade for Peavy? I can't. How am I going to be able to be able to believe that the Braves minor league system is still good after they traded for Teix? I can't. So how am I supposed to consider any of this factual rather than a biased slant? I can't.

Besides that, I'm not a big fan of the Mets going forward either; however, they have three players they can pretty much count on to be very good in Beltran, Wright, and Reyes, and their pitching staff - patchwork as it has been - has been marvelous all season long. If you put Johan on that team, you are looking at something similar to what Minnesota has done the past 5 years, but with a payroll twice as large. However, I'm not a big fan of the Braves going forward though either; what do they have to build around? Chipper is 35, Andruw is gone, Teix is gone after next year, and Smoltz is 40; it seems to me that Schuerholtz traded for Teix because he realizes his window is closing quickly, probably more quickly than the Mets.

We'll see though.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 26, 2007 -> 10:33 PM)
Pitching is a big concern and so are a bunch of their other players. Yes, they've got Reyes, Wright and Milledge, but I'm not yet entirely sold on Milledge and that pitching staff ain't so hot.

I didn't mean to single you out there, BTW -- I wanted to put Wite's "I'm not so hot on the Mets either" in there but you replied before I could get it in there.

Anyways... Pitching is a concern? I guess it can be seen that way, although they already have Maine and Perez locked up for very little for the next couple seasons. Either would be Atlanta's third best starter. There's also Humber and Pelfrey -- Pelfrey's stock has fallen but I'd guess, worst case scenario, at least one of them makes it as a starter, the other as a reliever.

They're still loaded on offense. Wright and Reyes are premier players, Beltran is top three at his position and is only 30. Milledge is 22 and is already a league average hitter. If not for some injuries he'd be considered a top prospect. Then there's Martinez, a top ten prospect in all of baseball, and Gomez, who at the very very worst will be a good 4th OFer.

And they have gobs and gobs of money to spend. Not that money is everything, but is there any team in the NL East who even has half the payroll of the Mets (serious question -- it might not be 2-to-1, but it's gotta be pretty close, yes)?

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 26, 2007 -> 05:42 PM)
I didn't mean to single you out there, BTW -- I wanted to put Wite's "I'm not so hot on the Mets either" in there but you replied before I could get it in there.

Anyways... Pitching is a concern? I guess it can be seen that way, although they already have Maine and Perez locked up for very little for the next couple seasons. Either would be Atlanta's third best starter. There's also Humber and Pelfrey -- Pelfrey's stock has fallen but I'd guess, worst case scenario, at least one of them makes it as a starter, the other as a reliever.

They're still loaded on offense. Wright and Reyes are premier players, Beltran is top three at his position and is only 30. Milledge is 22 and is already a league average hitter. If not for some injuries he'd be considered a top prospect. Then there's Martinez, a top ten prospect in all of baseball, and Gomez, who at the very very worst will be a good 4th OFer.

And they have gobs and gobs of money to spend. Not that money is everything, but is there any team in the NL East who even has half the payroll of the Mets (serious question -- it might not be 2-to-1, but it's gotta be pretty close, yes)?

Their pitching is very good, and it seems Rick Peterson always has good pitching staffs. He's probably a top 3 pitching coach in the game because of what he does.

There are parts of their offense going forward which I'm not fond of; I'm not sure what to expect out of Delgado from this point on, though I'd imagine this is more an exception than anything and he should be good for about a 120 OPS+ next year, which would be good. Lo Duca's also 35 and his offense has already started tailing off, so they'll need a replacement at catcher at some point in time as well. Second base also seems to be a hole going forward, but if they retain Castillo, they'll atleast have someone adequate enough until they can develop a player.

I'll definitely say that the forecast for the Mets future at this point looks much better than the Braves, with or without Peavy going to Atlanta after next year.

QUOTE(Brian @ Sep 27, 2007 -> 03:49 PM)
Holy cow, Dr. Peter Venkman looks old.

He suddenly finally looks like Brian Doyle.

Ya know, has there ever been a team in the history of baseball that seems to actually enjoy kicking their fans in the teeth as much as the Cubs have? They never seem to lose in a good way, being beaten by great teams. If it wasn't for the fact that the Brewers were going against San Deigo, I would say there is no way the Cubs win the division.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 28, 2007 -> 08:57 AM)
OK, now it is Friday. 3 games remain for all the teams involved. There are still SEVEN teams in the National League who could make the playoffs, and NOT ONE has clinched a playoff birth.

If you really love baseball, this is fun to watch, no matter who your favorite team is.

I hope the Phils and/or Rockies get in. I think Colorado has a legit chance to make some noise in the playoffs, while I think the Phils would get murdered but still they have Rowand and Utley, so go Phils. ;)

He's obviously not a rookie of the year candidate in as strong a crop as the NL has this year, but if the Phillies make the playoffs, they need look no further than Kyle Kendrick. He came into this year as a low strikeout minor league pitcher that had never pitched above the AA level, let alone MLB, but he made his debut against the Sox on June 13th (6 IP, 3 runs) and has been consistent ever since. He got the win last night against Atlanta in his final start to finish the season 10-4 with a 3.87 ERA in 20 starts. Making those numbers more amazing are his pedestrian (if that) periphials, as he has only 49 k's in 121 innings, and although he also only has 25 walks, he's given up 129 hits in those 121 innings. He went at least 5 innings in 19 of his 20 starts, and had 13 quality starts. If Hamels is healthy, a rotation of Hamels, Kendrick, Moyer, and Lohse isn't great, but with their offense and being in the NL it might be good enough.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 28, 2007 -> 08:59 AM)
I hope the Phils and/or Rockies get in. I think Colorado has a legit chance to make some noise in the playoffs, while I think the Phils would get murdered but still they have Rowand and Utley, so go Phils. ;)

The Rockies have 11 wins in a row, but it looks likely it would take a sweep of Arizona and thus 14 in a row for them to get in, but heck with the way they are playing it wouldn't surprise me. Oh, and no way Philly gets murdered with that offense. None, and I think they'll get in with the choke the Mets are putting on. Also, looks like the NL West is in great shape to get that wild card, because I'd be shocked if San Diego doesn't at least win 2 out of 3 against the Brewers, and of course somebody has to win at least 2 of 3 in the Arizona/Colorado series.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 28, 2007 -> 10:05 AM)
The Rockies have 11 wins in a row, but it looks likely it would take a sweep of Arizona and thus 14 in a row for them to get in, but heck with the way they are playing it wouldn't surprise me. Oh, and no way Philly gets murdered with that offense. None, and I think they'll get in with the choke the Mets are putting on. Also, looks like the NL West is in great shape to get that wild card, because I'd be shocked if San Diego doesn't at least win 2 out of 3 against the Brewers, and of course somebody has to win at least 2 of 3 in the Arizona/Colorado series.

It doesn't matter how good their offense is, they'll be controlled in the playoffs. If Philly gets in, I highly doubt they win more than a game, if that.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 28, 2007 -> 10:07 AM)
It doesn't matter how good their offense is, they'll be controlled in the playoffs. If Philly gets in, I highly doubt they win more than a game, if that.

If they get to face the Cubs starting pitching, their offense won't be controlled. Now, if they get San Diego in the first round they'd probably be in a lot of trouble, but the Cubs SP is AWFUL and they'd kick them around.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 28, 2007 -> 03:07 PM)

I dunno... If Hamels continues what he did in his last outing (5 IP, 6 Ks), Philly is going to be tough. Their rotation isn't spectacular beyond Hamels but then again, whose is?

-------------------

Webb vs Francis tonight. That's how I'll be starting off my weekend.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 28, 2007 -> 10:19 AM)
I dunno... If Hamels continues what he did in his last outing (5 IP, 6 Ks), Philly is going to be tough. Their rotation isn't spectacular beyond Hamels but then again, whose is?

-------------------

Webb vs Francis tonight. That's how I'll be starting off my weekend.

Their bullpen is putrid as well. Trust me, I'd love to see the Phils advance but I think they're the weakest of all the playoff contenders. Beyond that, I guess we'll just see what happens, no point in really arguing it. :)

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 28, 2007 -> 03:24 PM)
Their bullpen is putrid as well. Trust me, I'd love to see the Phils advance but I think they're the weakest of all the playoff contenders. Beyond that, I guess we'll just see what happens, no point in really arguing it. :)

They have Tadahito and Rowand -- and Tokin' Freddy, somewhere, too -- aren't we pretty much obliged to root for Philly?