2007 Post ASB MLB Catch-All Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crappy call at the end. I feel sorry for Padre fans, but that was a call the ump had to make considering where he was and what it looked like.

Great game though, I enjoyed it :)

QUOTE(3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 11:18 PM)
That was clear to me live, that he didn't touch home, piece of crap umpire probably just wanted to go home. And you know he knew it, with that hesitation. Too bad they had to ruin a good game like that

Why stop there? Why not make some more baseless accusations about the umpire having money on the game, or really being a Rockies fan deep down and bleeding purple? Or maybe his cousins nephews brothers sisters ex-boyfriend is Matt Holliday and he really liked him when he met him 5 years ago?

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 2, 2007 -> 05:22 AM)
Crappy call at the end. I feel sorry for Padre fans, but that was a call the ump had to make considering where he was and what it looked like.

Great game though, I enjoyed it :)

Was an awesome game but you could tell the ump knew Barret manged to block him. However, he got scared when he saw Holiday was in no hurry to get back to the plate, so he called him safe. Not sure that was the call he had to make.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 11:11 PM)
Hoffman blew the Saturday game and now this. He's blown some games in big spotlights lately if you want to count the All Star game.

Hoffman was done 2 years ago. I'm surprised he doesn't get ripped every time he takes the hill. Good Lord...he really has nothing. Great game to watch though.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 11:19 PM)
I can easily see how in live speed it would appear he got his hand in there using the 3rd base line extended position.

He was right on top of it, and should have gotten it right, but he appeared to be looking back over his left shoulder and flat out blew the call and the Padres chances.

I don't care for either team, but I hope the Phillies whoop up on the Rockies after that...I'd hate to see the Rockies go far due to a blown call.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 11:24 PM)
Was an awesome game but you could tell the ump knew Barret manged to block him. However, he got scared when he saw Holiday was in no hurry to get back to the plate, so he called him safe. Not sure that was the call he had to make.

He was on the other side of the action, and Barrett's foot was blocking what he could see of that part of the plate, so he couldn't really see where Barrett's foot was (whether it was blocking the plate, in the middle of the plate, etc.). Given the quickness of the play, and just the situation in general, I'd probably have made the same call. But being here at home, it's easy to make the call that the ump was wrong.

QUOTE(SouthsideNorthsideFan @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 11:24 PM)
He was right on top of it, and should have gotten it right, but he appeared to be looking back over his left shoulder and flat out blew the call and the Padres chances.

I don't care for either team, but I hope the Phillies whoop up on the Rockies after that...I'd hate to see the Rockies go far due to a blown call.

I'd love to see you in that exact same position. Try it some day, let alone at that speed.

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 11:26 PM)
He was on the other side of the action, and Barrett's foot was blocking what he could see of that part of the plate, so he couldn't really see where Barrett's foot was (whether it was blocking the plate, in the middle of the plate, etc.). Given the quickness of the play, and just the situation in general, I'd probably have made the same call. But being here at home, it's easy to make the call that the ump was wrong.

Well...he missed a lot of strikes too...so not a shocker really.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 11:27 PM)
Well...he missed a lot of strikes too...so not a shocker really.

I can't disagree. I didn't like the umpiring crew in general, but I can't fault him for that final call.

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 2, 2007 -> 05:29 AM)
I can't disagree. I didn't like the umpiring crew in general, but I can't fault him for that final call.

I'll agree with that. Last call could have gone either way though, obviously. I probably would have made the same call as he did.

Oh, and did I just hear right that Frank Thomas is doing some booth work?

Looking at the replay (again), Barrett's foot slides all along the side of home plate after the slide, and ends up behind the plate at the end of the play. Just based off of that, if I were in the situation of the ump, I'd assume that Holliday's hand/arm pushed Barrett's foot back that far, meaning it crossed the plate. Again, I'd make the same call as the ump in this situation.

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 11:33 PM)
Looking at the replay (again), Barrett's foot slides all along the side of home plate after the slide, and ends up behind the plate at the end of the play. Just based off of that, if I were in the situation of the ump, I'd assume that Holliday's hand/arm pushed Barrett's foot back that far, meaning it crossed the plate. Again, I'd make the same call as the ump in this situation.

Answer this: Why did he wait till Barrett tagged him to call him safe? You can't.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 11:32 PM)
Oh, and did I just hear right that Frank Thomas is doing some booth work?

Yes.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 11:32 PM)
No disrespect to felix and krush, but if that crap had happened to the Sox, I doubt you would be as understanding. It was a blown call.

Thats why looking at something objectively is much more beneficial. I'd be pissed to hell if that happened to the Sox, because I'd be tied up in my emotions. In this situation, since I don't care about either team and am just watching baseball, I think I can look at it in a more objective, fairer way.

No disrespect to felix and krush, but if that crap had happened to the Sox, I doubt you would be as understanding. It was a blown call.

Incorrect.

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 11:33 PM)

Exactly my reasoning, and his I'd presume.

QUOTE(SouthsideNorthsideFan @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 11:33 PM)
Done it. He was out of position and blew the call. Quit defending the call already.

Did you ump some tball game before?

And he wasn't out of position. Shows what you know about umpiring.

I'd be understanding, I'd just be pissed as hell the Sox were put into such a situation by the pitcher.

QUOTE(SouthsideNorthsideFan @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 11:34 PM)
Answer this: Why did he wait till Barrett tagged him to call him safe? You can't.

He waited on calling everything all night (from what I saw), it got frustrating, but it was par for the course. He probably waited to make sure that the ball got loose, and all of those sorts of things. I'm not an umpire, and I wasn't there in person. I'm just saying that the call is what I would have made if I were there and in the same place.

QUOTE(PlunketChris @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 11:37 PM)
it's like the AJ dropped 3rd strike, even in slow motion replay, you can't really tell what happens. hell of a game anyway.

I'll disagree there. I'm pretty sure that he never touched home plate.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(SouthsideNorthsideFan @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 11:38 PM)
What it shows is you wanted the Rockies to win so you're defending a blown call. It's obvious.

This isn't Jorge Orta in '85 dude, that's a bang bang play, and I don't know if you can call it a blown call.

QUOTE(SouthsideNorthsideFan @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 11:38 PM)
What it shows is you wanted the Rockies to win so you're defending a blown call. It's obvious.

If you asked me who I wanted to win this game prior to all this crap, I'd have said the Padres. Group 4 baby!

Really though, I was just looking to watch some good baseball, and thats what I got. So bad call or not, I got what I was looking for.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 11:27 PM)
I'd love to see you in that exact same position. Try it some day, let alone at that speed.

You must umpire. I did for a couple years. Playing was so much less stressful. Not even close. I had the great fortune of getting plunked with bases loaded and one down in the final inning of a playoff game. I truly think I might have been too scared to actually swing. I know I let the ball hit me. That was easy compared to umpiring.