Michael Vick Accepts Plea Deal Per ESPN

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow 23 months!! That's almost 14 dog years!!

/obligatory

So much for him getting off easy because he's famous, damn. I hope he enjoys the clink and finds a nice boyfriend though. I will put the over/under on the angry "that's racist" columns on espn.com at 7, starting of course with Jemele Hill and Scoop Jackson.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 10, 2007 -> 11:00 AM)

/obligatory

So much for him getting off easy because he's famous, damn. I hope he enjoys the clink and finds a nice boyfriend though. I will put the over/under on the angry "that's racist" columns on espn.com at 7, starting of course with Jemele Hill and Scoop Jackson.

Not to be outdone Jason Whitlock will come out with at least 3 of his own

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 10, 2007 -> 10:00 AM)

/obligatory

:lolhitting potm worthy

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 10, 2007 -> 10:29 AM)
So he will serve less than a year, and be back in the NFL for the 2009 mini/training camps. Wonderful.

That's not how it works here. Since this is a federal case, he has to serve at least 85 percent of the sentence, which in the case of 23 months, 85 percent is at least 19 and 1/2 months. He could, in theory, serve the last month of that in a halfway house, and he did start his jailtime about 3 weeks ago, but the earliest Vick could realistically even be a free man is the summer of 2009. Now, of course, by then he will not have played an NFL game in almost 3 years, be 29 years old (which isn't young by NFL standards) be nowhere near in playing shape, and not be on any team since sometime after June 1st (at the latest) of 2008, the Falcons will cut him to save the cap hit. And all of that doesn't even include the fact that Vick is still facing pending state charges in Virginia, and Lord only knows how that will go since usually the state would ordinarily leave somebody who has taken a plea with the feds alone, but for some reason Virginia wants a piece of Vick too (not that I mind). So, unless Bruce Weber coaches an NFL team, I doubt he plays in the NFL again when you consider all that and other than good ol' Bruce, I'm unaware of many (or any) convicted felons who are on the roster of major athletic squads in our great land.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 10, 2007 -> 11:17 AM)
That's not how it works here. Since this is a federal case, he has to serve at least 85 percent of the sentence, which in the case of 23 months, 85 percent is at least 19 and 1/2 months. He could, in theory, serve the last month of that in a halfway house, and he did start his jailtime about 3 weeks ago, but the earliest Vick could realistically even be a free man is the summer of 2009. Now, of course, by then he will not have played an NFL game in almost 3 years, be 29 years old (which isn't young by NFL standards) be nowhere near in playing shape, and not be on any team since sometime after June 1st (at the latest) of 2008, the Falcons will cut him to save the cap hit. Unless Bruce Weber coaches an NFL team, I doubt he plays in the NFL again when you consider all that and other than good ol' Bruce, I'm unaware of many (or any) convicted felons who are on the roster of major athletic squads.

Miami ;)

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 10, 2007 -> 11:19 AM)
Miami ;)

No sir!! Their first year football coach Randy Shannon has laid down the law!! He is kicking ANYBODY who is convicted of a felony off the team immediately.

(And no, I'm not kidding. That's an ACTUAL policy there now, it's amazing they need it, but the new policy helps support my point since the team no longer has felons on it).

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 10, 2007 -> 11:22 AM)
No sir!! Their first year football coach Randy Shannon has laid down the law!! He is kicking ANYBODY who is convicted of a felony off the team immediately.

(And no, I'm not kidding. That's an ACTUAL policy there now, it's amazing they need it, but the new policy helps support my point since the team no longer has felons on it).

he's gone in three and the new guy believes in redemption and forgiveness :headbang Somewhere, someone, will take a chance on his "young" football body. Fresh legs, etc.

I'm sitting here thinking that 50 years ago, someone going to prison over the death of dogs, would be unimaginable. I wonder if some future society will look at mouse traps with scorn, wondering how we could have condoned such behavior.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 10, 2007 -> 12:42 PM)
I'm sitting here thinking that 50 years ago, someone going to prison over the death of dogs, would be unimaginable. I wonder if some future society will look at mouse traps with scorn, wondering how we could have condoned such behavior.

Comparing dog fighting to mouse traps?

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Dec 10, 2007 -> 03:56 PM)
Comparing dog fighting to mouse traps?

Fifty years ago dogs did not have much standing. We have extended legal protection to animals, I wonder how far it will go. You can shoot some animals for sport some of the year but not others. We can shoot some birds for sport some of the year, but not others and still other birds may never be shot. You may catch some fish during some of the year, but not others. So mammals, birds, fish, are being protected with jail a possible outcome. Why not rodents?

I'm with most of y'all around here that it is a despicable act, but thinking about the carnage we inflict on animals, why are dogs singles out for extra protection? Dairy cows are bulldozed into the ground when their milk output declines to where it costs too much to feed them. We do not process sick or injured animals for market, so many are killed and never used.

It just seems all too random and inconsistent.

dogs and cats are moreso held to a double standard simply because they are household pets. And unlike a mouse/gerbil the cat/dog is allowed to go around the house freely and cuddle with you etc. Than as far as some birds/animals never allowed to be shot that actually has a reason behind it... to avoid extinction of a species. Im sure 50 years from now if those birds/animals are thriving than they will become fair game. And as for cows, go back to point 1 and tell me how many people have pet cows in their house?

I also think the amount of suffering by the animal counted against Vick here. Dog fighting is vicious, although the end result is the same, I do think there is something qualitatively different between putting an animal down and letting it fight to the death.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 09:47 AM)
I also think the amount of suffering by the animal counted against Vick here. Dog fighting is vicious, although the end result is the same, I do think there is something qualitatively different between putting an animal down and letting it fight to the death.

That's the key. He didn't just kill dogs, though to do so for no good reason would be bad enough. This was the systematic abuse and torture of the animals.

ESPN tried to figure out how much this was gonna cost Vick in terms of lost wages not including legal fees and it came up with about 140 million between salary, bonuses, endorsements and money to care for the dogs rescued on Vicks property. I know that sounds like a lot of money but all he has to do is win the mega millions once, or worst case twice and he should be right back there.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 10, 2007 -> 11:17 AM)
That's not how it works here. Since this is a federal case, he has to serve at least 85 percent of the sentence, which in the case of 23 months, 85 percent is at least 19 and 1/2 months. He could, in theory, serve the last month of that in a halfway house, and he did start his jailtime about 3 weeks ago, but the earliest Vick could realistically even be a free man is the summer of 2009. Now, of course, by then he will not have played an NFL game in almost 3 years, be 29 years old (which isn't young by NFL standards) be nowhere near in playing shape, and not be on any team since sometime after June 1st (at the latest) of 2008, the Falcons will cut him to save the cap hit. And all of that doesn't even include the fact that Vick is still facing pending state charges in Virginia, and Lord only knows how that will go since usually the state would ordinarily leave somebody who has taken a plea with the feds alone, but for some reason Virginia wants a piece of Vick too (not that I mind). So, unless Bruce Weber coaches an NFL team, I doubt he plays in the NFL again when you consider all that and other than good ol' Bruce, I'm unaware of many (or any) convicted felons who are on the roster of major athletic squads in our great land.

Well I am glad to be wrong, I honestly hope he never plays football again. He doesn't deserve the opportunity.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 08:56 AM)
That's the key. He didn't just kill dogs, though to do so for no good reason would be bad enough. This was the systematic abuse and torture of the animals.

My original comment was, as a society, we have changed in the past 50 years. Is this where it ends, with dogs and cats, or does it get expanded? If two dogs are naturally fighting in your neighborhood, will we someday be held responsible if we do not try and stop it? Again someone worrying about the a-bomb getting dropped from Russia With Love, would find it unbelievable that a guy would lose $140 million dollars and spend two months in prison over dogs.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 02:52 PM)
My original comment was, as a society, we have changed in the past 50 years. Is this where it ends, with dogs and cats, or does it get expanded? If two dogs are naturally fighting in your neighborhood, will we someday be held responsible if we do not try and stop it? Again someone worrying about the a-bomb getting dropped from Russia With Love, would find it unbelievable that a guy would lose $140 million dollars and spend two months in prison over dogs.

There's slippery slope... and then there is Tex's 5.13 vertical drop.