SSR: Signings, Trades, & Ken Williams

Chisoxfn

This week, Mario & Gage got back to action discussing the rammifications of the Buehrle signing. They further discussed whether the club should turn to trade other starters (with Buehrle signed) as well as discussed the most recent bullpen shakeups and some new guys we will see in the pen in the next couple weeks as well. Oh and Gage goes off on the server company that closed the site for an extra day, so he was in an all around firey mood.

Listen Here

LOL Mario at the collective ass question.

It’s too bad we don’t have Shaq’s movie alter egos on hand. Kazaam and Steel would have us in first getting ready for the playoffs.

Agreed about Masset; he’s definitely a starter and was just going to continue to rot as a reliever.

Big dap to Buehrle—I’m really happy to have that done. And regardless what happens with the rest of the year, I feel much better about our future with him being a part of it.

I hope the signing doesn’t prompt the trading of Garland and Vazquez; however, I really at the least want to build around Buehrle, Garland, and Danks.

I side with Mario on Garland being more valuable in a trade and on the market. I understand the ages of Vaz and Garland plays into that; however, I like Garland’s consistency and the durability he’s shown for the Sox. And I agree with Gage that I highly doubt Garland will be re-signing with the Sox, as he’ll be too expensive, which is unfortunate.

I hope that we get young. I agree that we need to be progressing for the 2009 and 2010 seasons. It usually has been such in the past, but I hope these KW quotes about standing pat are just unnecessary bluffs.

If Rowand gets $9-10M/year, I hope we’re not the ones signing him. I agree that $6-7M would be acceptable, but I’m leery of going over that unless it’s incentive-laden.

Strong ending with the threats to KW and the message to JR. I’m leery about firing KW, but his head probably will need to roll if we stand pat.

Glad the site and SSR’s back; good stuff this week guys.

I haven't listened yet, but I seriously doubt we stand pat.

Having said that, almost anyone of any value whatsoever sucks ass, I'm not sure what we can get.

Dye is starting to come around... so he can fetch something. I don't think anyone wants one of our starters (Javy or JC).

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jul 19, 2007 -> 06:20 PM)
I haven't listened yet, but I seriously doubt we stand pat.

Having said that, almost anyone of any value whatsoever sucks ass, I'm not sure what we can get.

Dye is starting to come around... so he can fetch something. I don't think anyone wants one of our starters (Javy or JC).

Javier Vazquez could fetch a very nice package of young talent if made available, being one of the better pitchers in baseball this season and all. (3.73 ERA, 1.11 WHIP) but he's probably more valuable just staying put in the rotation with Garland and his pending huge $$$ contract leaving via trade.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 20, 2007 -> 08:40 PM)
Javier Vazquez could fetch a very nice package of young talent if made available, being one of the better pitchers in baseball this season and all. (3.73 ERA, 1.11 WHIP) but he's probably more valuable just staying put in the rotation with Garland and his pending huge $$$ contract leaving via trade.

I wonder what's going on with Garland's shoulder - this has been an issue since ST. I worry that his arm is breaking down a bit. He's gutted out some nice starts, some not so nice. With this season a wash, I wouldn't mind shutting him down for a long spell, bring up someone else. See if that doesn't put an end to the pain.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jul 23, 2007 -> 06:11 PM)
I wonder what's going on with Garland's shoulder - this has been an issue since ST. I worry that his arm is breaking down a bit. He's gutted out some nice starts, some not so nice. With this season a wash, I wouldn't mind shutting him down for a long spell, bring up someone else. See if that doesn't put an end to the pain.

It's been an issue for 3+ seasons.