Timo's Back

RockRaines

MINNEAPOLIS -- Detroit Tigers left fielder Marcus Thames was placed on the 15-day disabled list Thursday, a day after he pulled his left hamstring on a diving catch in a 3-2 win over Minnesota.

Outfielder Timo Perez's contract was purchased from Triple-A Toledo, and he was in the lineup batting seventh and playing left field in place of Thames against the Twins on Thursday afternoon.

The 32-year-old Perez was MVP of the Triple-A All-Star game last week. He signed a minor-league deal with Detroit this winter after appearing in 23 games last year for St. Louis. He played in parts of four seasons for the New York Mets and spent the next two years with the Chicago White Sox.

Thames, who is hitting .252 with 11 home runs and 32 RBIs in 155 at-bats, ended the eighth inning Wednesday night with a running shoestring catch of Joe Mauer's line drive. He rolled around in the turf in pain and limped off the field.

MLB.Com

Perez arrived at the park about two hours before game time after being called up from Triple-A Toledo, which was in Norfolk at the time. Despite the short rest and long flight, Leyland played a hunch and started him over Ryan Raburn and Omar Infante.

"To me," Leyland said, "when you get called to the big leagues, if you get a chance to play once you get there, I don't care if the flight's 12 hours. You're ready to go."

He was ready even against Nathan, whose first five pitches of the 10th put Perez on base. Once Rabelo sacrificed Perez over to second, Inge got exactly what he wanted on the first pitch.

"I was looking for a fastball, trying to get on top," Inge said. "Because when he throws his fastball, it's coming in so hard, it appears to rise. I was just trying to get on top of it."

The line drive traveled into the gap in right-center on a line, allowing the speedy Perez to score easily.

The speedy Perez?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 19, 2007 -> 04:51 PM)
MINNEAPOLIS -- Detroit Tigers left fielder Marcus Thames was placed on the 15-day disabled list Thursday, a day after he pulled his left hamstring on a diving catch in a 3-2 win over Minnesota.

Outfielder Timo Perez's contract was purchased from Triple-A Toledo, and he was in the lineup batting seventh and playing left field in place of Thames against the Twins on Thursday afternoon.

The 32-year-old Perez was MVP of the Triple-A All-Star game last week. He signed a minor-league deal with Detroit this winter after appearing in 23 games last year for St. Louis. He played in parts of four seasons for the New York Mets and spent the next two years with the Chicago White Sox.

Thames, who is hitting .252 with 11 home runs and 32 RBIs in 155 at-bats, ended the eighth inning Wednesday night with a running shoestring catch of Joe Mauer's line drive. He rolled around in the turf in pain and limped off the field.

WTF???

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 20, 2007 -> 07:35 AM)
WTF???

Correct, he had a great game that day and was having a GIGANTIC year at triple a. BTW, in his first game with the big club the other day, he scored the winning run in the 10th inning for the Tigers at Minnesota. The legend grows.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 20, 2007 -> 07:26 PM)
Correct, he had a great game that day and was having a GIGANTIC year at triple a. BTW, in his first game with the big club the other day, he scored the winning run in the 10th inning for the Tigers at Minnesota. The legend grows.

I can understand the big year at triple A(well, I really cant. But im not gonna argue it). But MVP of the triple A all star game? thats the part that blows me away

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 20, 2007 -> 07:26 PM)

The legend of Timo is done growing; all it does now is live.

And the Tigers are essentially guaranteed to win the World Series this year simply because he donned the uniform and hat.