7/19 Games

Heads22

What a day for the two positional prospects worth a damn at Charlotte. The game isn't over yet, but Sweeney is 3-for-4 with two homers and Richar is 3-for-5 with a homer. Sweeney had a power surge in the second half last season -- we'll see if the same happens this season.

Oh, and Eggy is teh awesome. He's still pitching but so far six innings, one run. Only four strikeouts but 11 groundouts to two flyouts. Neat-o.

This is the best time to call up Sweeney and Richar, both are on-fire. But of course KW won't until he sends JD and Tad packing and still they would have to beat the likes of Pods/Erstad for Sweeney and Gonzalez for Richar. We need to see these two play everday in the majors, so we can find out if they can be put in the '08 lineup. If they hit, which I think they will, then it becomes alot easier for next year. You would have your 1b, DH, 2B, 3B, CF/RF and C. And then you would only need a new SS, LF and RF/CF, p

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jul 19, 2007 -> 09:27 PM)
isn't that 4 home runs for sweeney this week?

which was preceded by a stretch where Sweeney walked about 8 times in 6 games. You could tell he was seeing the ball well, but the results (outside of OBP) really weren't there.

I'd still feel better if these HRs came on the road. That's 22 AAA HRs for Sweeney, 5 of them have come away from the bandbox.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 19, 2007 -> 10:25 PM)
which was preceded by a stretch where Sweeney walked about 8 times in 6 games. You could tell he was seeing the ball well, but the results (outside of OBP) really weren't there.

I'd still feel better if these HRs came on the road. That's 22 AAA HRs for Sweeney, 5 of them have come away from the bandbox.

does it really matter... It isn't like he will be playing in a pitchers dream park when he comes up. The dimensions in Charlotte aren't very different then the ones in the cell (judging by gameday), where he will play half of his games. I could live with him hitting 15-20 homers at home but only 5-10 on the road as long as he can keep the average, obp, and run producing up.

Also, Sweeney rocks my socks.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jul 20, 2007 -> 12:05 AM)
does it really matter... It isn't like he will be playing in a pitchers dream park when he comes up. The dimensions in Charlotte aren't very different then the ones in the cell (judging by gameday), where he will play half of his games. I could live with him hitting 15-20 homers at home but only 5-10 on the road as long as he can keep the average, obp, and run producing up.

Also, Sweeney rocks my socks.

You're right, it's a complete anomaly that when Sweeney was in large park (B'ham) he was only able to hit 1 HR, hit 7 when he was in a moderate hitters park in A-ball, and has hit a total of 5 HR on the road since.

To continue Gene's Sweeney argument, his road numbers look like this: .258/.336/.347. That makes for a .683 OPS, yuck. At least he draws walks, but that's about his only improvement in AAA from a year ago. If he had the same number of at-bats as last year he would have 14 home runs, one more than a year ago. His average is one point higher than last year and his slugging is exactly the same. So again, his walk rate is his only improvement. Granted he has gotten better by the month, but I'm still not sold on him ever being anything more than an average starter in the Majors.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 20, 2007 -> 02:34 AM)
To continue Gene's Sweeney argument, his road numbers look like this: .258/.336/.347. That makes for a .683 OPS, yuck. At least he draws walks, but that's about his only improvement in AAA from a year ago. If he had the same number of at-bats as last year he would have 14 home runs, one more than a year ago. His average is one point higher than last year and his slugging is exactly the same. So again, his walk rate is his only improvement. Granted he has gotten better by the month, but I'm still not sold on him ever being anything more than an average starter in the Majors.

How dare you :angry: ...

:P

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 20, 2007 -> 01:14 PM)
after people are praising two of them in this thread???

I think he is saying that those two are probably the only two position player prospects worth a darn at Charlotte. And he might be right.

AA also has a severe lack - again, maybe one or two at most.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 21, 2007 -> 06:24 AM)
I'm more concerned about Sweeney's average, on base, and defense. His power is what it is, I'm hoping he can be a higher on base/average guy and good defender.

That power though is going to be the difference in him either becoming into Jeremy Reed or a Rusty Greer type of hitter IMHO.

I'd leave him at Charlotte for the time being.

I think I can provide some insight as to why Sweeney's power numbers aren't quite where we would like to see them. Take a look at his First Inning Batted Ball Chart. More specifically notice where the ball goes when he hits it in the air. Less than 10% of the balls he puts in play even go to right in the air. And of balls Sweeney hits in the air, less than 1/5 of them are hit to right! He doesn't have the Jim Thome or Ryan Howard strength to get a lot of homers or doubles on balls hit to opposite and center field, but that is where he likes to spray the ball. It kind of coincides with what we saw when Sweeney was called up. He had difficulty hitting the inside pitch, which should be taken to the right side of the field. Looks like he is either missing these, or just pounding them into the ground, as the highest percentage of his balls in play are hit to 1st/2nd with very little success. Maybe he is being pitched away or just feels more comfortable hitting opposite field.