Off-Season NHL Thread

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 15, 2007 -> 12:47 PM)
Tickets went on sale today -- I'll be at the opener against Detroit. Let the countdown begin -- less than three weeks away from the opener vs the Wild and exactly three weeks till Detroit.

I'll be there too. Tickets were on sale yesterday for Hawks fans.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 15, 2007 -> 05:39 PM)
Reading some of posts about the 1st scrimmage at the UC, it sounds like the top 2 lines were putting on a show. No surprise, but it looks to be..

Samsonov-Lang - Havlat, Kane - Toews - Ruutu.

The depth could be a bit of an issue, but you get one of the young kids to step up(Skille-Brouwer-Bolland) as well as Perreault on the 3rd line, you could 3 quality lines, which is something the Hawks haven't had in a while.

Samsonov-Lang - Havlat

Ruutu - Toews - Kane.

Brouwer-Perreault-Borque?

Koci-Adams-Lapointe

I really am not a Borque fan, and really don't like Williams either.

Um, Sharp...

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Sep 16, 2007 -> 12:04 AM)
Um, Sharp...

Yeah, Sharp will probably be centering the fourth line or, if they want him to give him more scoring opportunities, put him on the third line with Perrault centering. Overall the Hawks are in a very good spot with their centers -- it's the best group they've had together since I don't even know when. Looking at 2007-2008 only, we don't have a true number one, but we have two pretty good number 2s in Toews and Lang and two pretty good number 3s Perrault and Sharp.

You're also going to want to keep an eye on Troy Brouwer. I believe he scored 40+ last year with the Admirals. If Bourque doesn't show up and have a good camp, it wouldn't surprise me to see Brouwer sneak in on that third line.

Obviously things can change, but this is what I think we're looking at come October:

Havlat-Lang-Samsonov

Ruutu-Toews-Kane (I absolutely adore this line -- I think it's a perfect trio. If anyone from another team tries to take a run at either of the rooks, Ruutu is going to be out there to put someone on their ass.)

Williams-Sharp/Perrault-Bourque

Lapointe-Perrault/Sharp-???

Koci

Koci simply isn't good enough to play on a nightly basis, but you keep him around as a 13th skater. He strikes me as the type of guy who completely understands his role -- he's there to put fear into that other team. Is he a true heavy? Probably not, but he's not scared to go up against other heavies and he can certainly hold his own.

This is starting to get fun.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 15, 2007 -> 08:44 PM)
Sounds like Koci was really worked on his skating this off-season, which is a big plus. Maybe Jansen is paying off?? I really like Koci some where in this lineup, just for the other team to know not to f*** around with Havlat-Kane-Toews, especially Kane with his size.

Oh, and good call on Sharp. Totally slipped. Put him in the lineup for Bourque.

Koci IMO is on a game by game basis depending on the opponent. There were certain teams last year especially out west where you knew you wanted him in the lineup. Other games, you don't necessarily need him.

That projected 2nd line is probably the most exciting line I've seen as a Hawks fan for a long time.

I still have hope for Ruutu and that he can improve offensively. Getting to play with 2 young skilled guys in Toews and Kane may help that process.

I really think Brouwer is going to make this team -- there's certainly a spot open for one more rookie besides Toews and Kane. The key will be if he'll get enough minutes, and I'm fairly certain they can find him time on the third line with some combination of Sharp, Perrault, Williams or Bourque.

Also, it looks like you can order NHL Centre Ice online now. That'll work out great for me in Milwaukee -- I don't think they can black me out from Hawk home games up here.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 18, 2007 -> 11:43 PM)
I really think Brouwer is going to make this team -- there's certainly a spot open for one more rookie besides Toews and Kane. The key will be if he'll get enough minutes, and I'm fairly certain they can find him time on the third line with some combination of Sharp, Perrault, Williams or Bourque.

Also, it looks like you can order NHL Centre Ice online now. That'll work out great for me in Milwaukee -- I don't think they can black me out from Hawk home games up here.

Speaking of 3rd line, this is a big camp for Bourque and it appears he had a nice game tonight.

I'm gonna say "think again" on the center ice blackout but that'd be sweet.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Sep 19, 2007 -> 02:54 PM)
This is a big camp for Bourque and it appears he had a nice game tonight.

I'm gonna say "think again" on the center ice blackout but that'd be sweet.

Him and Brouwer may be competiting for 1 spot possibly.

And that's quite interesting, because Brouwer is basically where Bourque was a couple of season ago, after they both had really good seasons for Norfolk.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 18, 2007 -> 11:55 PM)
Him and Brouwer may be competiting for 1 spot possibly.

And that's quite interesting, because Brouwer is basically where Bourque was a couple of season ago, after they both had really good seasons for Norfolk.

Brouwer sent to Rockford today

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Sep 23, 2007 -> 04:07 AM)
Brouwer sent to Rockford today

That surprised me.

Then again, the spot that is open looks to be on the third line. All the reviews with Skille so far have been that he's done a real nice job forechecking and defensively but has yet to flash his offensive skills. Perhaps Tallon and Savard feel more comfortable with a more defensive-minded player on the third line.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Sep 13, 2007 -> 07:27 PM)
Now the real fun begins.

well, soon anyway... Does anyone know if hawks road games on csn will be HD. I'd be really pissed if I couldnt watch any hawks in HD except the few on VS and nbc (and like the 4 home games wirtz allows on csn)

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Sep 24, 2007 -> 06:33 PM)
well, soon anyway... Does anyone know if hawks road games on csn will be HD. I'd be really pissed if I couldnt watch any hawks in HD except the few on VS and nbc (and like the 4 home games wirtz allows on csn)

no

and no csn home games this year.

Edited by IlliniKrush

I don't get it, why no games in HD. I know the home game thing (and I know how assinine it is and I think its pathetic the league's commissioner doesn't step in and tell Wirtz he has to broadcast the home games to the people within Chicago for the greater good of hockey).

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Sep 24, 2007 -> 05:09 PM)
My guess is way too expensive to bring HD equpiment on the road. The Sox don't do it either, I don't think many teams do on the road, maybe i'm wrong.

All of the Angels games are broadcasted in HD and the same with the Dodgers from what I know. It doesn't make sense to me because I assume they don't necessarily bring in the camera eqiupment (it just stays at the various stadiums throughout the year). Than again I could be wrong and maybe they do bring the cameras to the stadium for each homestand or game.