Official NFL Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 9, 2007 -> 04:14 PM)
Obviously there is a long way to go but it seems like there is a real possibility of having an undefeated team vs. a 1 loss team in the superbowl.

Almost certainly at least 1 of those 2 teams will either lose another game in the regular season or someone will find a way to beat them in the playoffs.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 9, 2007 -> 06:35 PM)
Almost certainly at least 1 of those 2 teams will either lose another game in the regular season or someone will find a way to beat them in the playoffs.

You know, if you're playing the odds game, you're definitely right. I really don't think either NE or Dallas will lose in the playoffs and I finally believe that the Pats will go undefeated. The one thing that I believe could happen is that Dallas loses one of these last 3 regular season games.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 9, 2007 -> 04:40 PM)
You know, if you're playing the odds game, you're definitely right. I really don't think either NE or Dallas will lose in the playoffs and I finally believe that the Pats will go undefeated. The one thing that I believe could happen is that Dallas loses one of these last 3 regular season games.

If they get to 14-1, they have nothing to play for that last week.

There was a rumor that Jerry Jones wanted to trade the 2 1st rounders plus a player for Miami's #1 pick so that they could draft McFadden.

Apparently the logic was Romo - McFadden - Owens would be the current version of Aikman - Smith - Irvin.

I hope we don't do that though. Barber's a #1 back IMHO, I'd rather draft at least 1 CB in the 1st round, and maybe a SS that can cover the pass better than Williams (or a replacement for Julius Jones).

I can see it happening though.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 9, 2007 -> 07:32 PM)
There was a rumor that Jerry Jones wanted to trade the 2 1st rounders plus a player for Miami's #1 pick so that they could draft McFadden.

Apparently the logic was Romo - McFadden - Owens would be the current version of Aikman - Smith - Irvin.

I hope we don't do that though. Barber's a #1 back IMHO, I'd rather draft at least 1 CB in the 1st round, and maybe a SS that can cover the pass better than Williams (or a replacement for Julius Jones).

I can see it happening though.

Unless that player is a good young player, ide hope they don't do that.. Cleveland and Dallas picks will both be pretty late ide imagine, looking like both 20+ guaranteed..

I would rather just take Dorsey or McFadden and leave it at that, we already have essentially 2 first round picks with NE losing their original so our next pick is #32

And Barber isn't a #1 back, hes been a change of pace/goal line back thus far in his career and he has excelled at that (Only avg 10 carries a game for his career) I don't think that he could shoulder a 23-25 carry a game load and produce the same way that he has been so far..

I could see Dallas being interested in trying to get McFadden, I just hope Miami takes them to the cleaners if they do talk a deal.. im talking something like both 1sts, a 3rd, and next years 1st with a possible player

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Dec 10, 2007 -> 11:02 AM)
Giants should fare pretty well. They actually have an NFL caliber secondary unlike the Steelers, and have balance on offense. They can rush the ball and have Eli drop back and throw it to the other team :-).

Please, use common sense before posting nonsense. The Steelers entered yesterday allowing 155 pass yards a game, EASILY the best in the NFL, and also were best in the NFL in points per game allowed. The Giants are 10th and 12th in those categories, and also have R.W. McQuarters and Sam Madison at the cornerback spots, who are both ancient by NFL standards. Not to mention they are an NFC team, a charter member of the JV league.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 9, 2007 -> 09:55 PM)
The fact NE is going to get McFadden just ain't right, but damn I love it!! Keep winning NE and keep losing Miami, I'll never hear anything from South Florida's annoying loud mouths again about the NFL if this keeps up.

Do you seriously think the Patriots won't trade down with that pick to pick up a couple of late first or early 2nd rounders? They're almost certainly smart enough to know that the standard "Draft choice value card" sheet or whatever you call it gives an incredible amount of value to the top couple picks, vastly more than they're actually worth in almost every draft that doesn't start off with a guy named "Manning, P., QB Tennessee", and on top of that, they will save a ton of cap space in the process and probably be able to still find a quality RB and replace some of the aging or departing folks on defense at the same time.

And on top of that, if they were to keep the pick, do you think they'd actually spend it on a running back, when RB seems to be the easiest position in the world to find if you look around the league? How many lower round picks are there putting up great seasons behind good O-Lines, and how many top of the draft RB Busts can you find?

Edited by Balta1701

I agree with you for the most part Balta, especially about the RB talent part. With their late 1st taken away by the NFL, I could see them trading down and addressing the LB position and maybe a safety. Laurence Maroney and Sammy Morris do a good enough job when called upon and healthy.

Some kind of package of Dallas' first round picks and Marion Barber for the chance to draft McFadden might be interesting for both teams.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Dec 10, 2007 -> 12:50 PM)
LOL at 101. He's even an expert on my own teams now.

If you think the Giants defense is anywhere near as good, let alone better, than the Steelers....your not very bright. You did see what happened to the Giants defense against the Cowboys right? They got torched twice by a team nowhere near as good as New England.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 06:40 AM)
I agree with you for the most part Balta, especially about the RB talent part. With their late 1st taken away by the NFL, I could see them trading down and addressing the LB position and maybe a safety. Laurence Maroney and Sammy Morris do a good enough job when called upon and healthy.

Some kind of package of Dallas' first round picks and Marion Barber for the chance to draft McFadden might be interesting for both teams.

Yeah that could be possible.

I still think although trading up for McFadden is the "sexy" move, the smart move would be to keep the draft picks, and draft a CB and a young big nose tackle that would fit in the 3-4.

Yesterday's game showed that the Cowboys still have problems on defense that need fixing. Offensively, they're fine.

And I want Barber back, although with Drew Rosenhaus as his agent, that could be an interesting situation.

I wonder if the Bears would target him possibly if he hit FA?

If you think the Giants defense is anywhere near as good, let alone better, than the Steelers....your not very bright. You did see what happened to the Giants defense against the Cowboys right? They got torched twice by a team nowhere near as good as New England.

Cowboy's have the #2 offense in the NFL and don't run up the stats on teams. They aren't exactly chopped liver. Giants are leading the league in sacks and should be able to pressure Brady as well as anyone all season long. The Giants also have a secondary that can intercept some passes and break up other passes. The Steelers secondary couldn't and hasn't done that all year.

Quick 3 step drops have killed the Steelers since 2002 when Oakland exposed the Steelers and several teams since then other teams have passed 40+ times a game to beat the Steelers.

The entire Steelers secondary has combined for 6 interceptions all year long, tied for last in the league with Philadelphia.

The Steelers also get consistent pressure on the QB from every gap during a game, when you go to the middle of the field you get absolutely nothing on the Steelers, but when you go outside, you hit the jackpot.

You combine all that with the Steelers having played in two horrendous condition games where passing was pretty much impossible for either team and the caliber and youth of QB's the Steelers have faced like Derek Anderson in his first start, Kellen Clemens, John Beck, Alex Smith, Matt Leinart etc and you can see how the numbers are skewed.

Edited by Palehosefan