Official NFL Thread

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 13, 2008 -> 02:26 PM)
Bears arent going to be able to afford J Jones and Benson.

Plus I dont see why he would even consider the bears after how they treated his brother.

Benson will be the starter and he will have to beat out Wolfe. They spent a 3rd rounder on him, so i doubt they are going to draft another first day half back this year.

Actually they would. Benson's contract had numerous escalator clauses that were built on incentives that he hasn't reached and because of that they could easily bring in another back that would cost 2-4 million on the cap.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By afford I meant:

Spend money wisely on positions of need.

That 2-4 million is much better invested in starting O-line, start safety, instead of a back up rb. Angelo is going to go to the grave with his choices of Benson and Wolfe, so outside Angelo being gone I just cant see his guys going anywhere.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jan 16, 2008 -> 06:56 AM)
I really hope Angelo isn't posting the stuff about signing Julius Jones. The guy sucks. We don't want him. He would actually be a downgrade with our RB situation.

Turner would be a good guy to look at for you

QUOTE(A's fan @ Jan 16, 2008 -> 12:26 PM)
Turner would be a good guy to look at for you

When is the last time that there was a RB who was used as a successful #2 back who hit FA, was signed by some team for big money, and actually had success? I'm genuinely trying to remember.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 16, 2008 -> 12:36 PM)
When is the last time that there was a RB who was used as a successful #2 back who hit FA, was signed by some team for big money, and actually had success? I'm genuinely trying to remember.

well ryan grant was a number five RB, tiki was a backup untill injury, priest holmes was a backup and chester taylor was who isnt bad.

QUOTE(A's fan @ Jan 16, 2008 -> 12:44 PM)
well ryan grant was a number five RB, tiki was a backup untill injury, priest holmes was a backup and chester taylor was who isnt bad.

Out of those, I think the only one that fits my criteria of being a good 2nd string back who lites the world on fire once he moves teams as a FA. In other words, all the other guys I'm thinking of, guys like Lamont Jordan, Dominic Rhodes, etc., the good #2 guy...i'm just pointing out that when you take those guys out of the system where they're behind the same line that's opening gaping holes for LT, etc., they tend to not be the 5+ yard a carry guy you hoped you were getting, with Holmes as the notable exception.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 16, 2008 -> 01:14 PM)
Out of those, I think the only one that fits my criteria of being a good 2nd string back who lites the world on fire once he moves teams as a FA. In other words, all the other guys I'm thinking of, guys like Lamont Jordan, Dominic Rhodes, etc., the good #2 guy...i'm just pointing out that when you take those guys out of the system where they're behind the same line that's opening gaping holes for LT, etc., they tend to not be the 5+ yard a carry guy you hoped you were getting, with Holmes as the notable exception.

Jordan will be a FA next season and dom rhodes has played very well in his time with oakland when starting.

It all depends if they are given a good shot to succeed and i think turner with you guys would be ideal. Thats just my opinion on it.

QUOTE(A's fan @ Jan 16, 2008 -> 01:18 PM)
Jordan will be a FA next season and dom rhodes has played very well in his time with oakland when starting.

It all depends if they are given a good shot to succeed and i think turner with you guys would be ideal. Thats just my opinion on it.

And I'll take the counter-opinion, that if you take Michael Turner, or hell even LT, and stick him behind an O-Line that performed as poorly as the Bears' did last season, then the results would be just as disappointing as the results that the Bears got with Benson.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 16, 2008 -> 01:21 PM)
And I'll take the counter-opinion, that if you take Michael Turner, or hell even LT, and stick him behind an O-Line that performed as poorly as the Bears' did last season, then the results would be just as disappointing as the results that the Bears got with Benson.

I doubt it, benson is very non impressive and I feel that fanneca will end up in chi town too.

QUOTE(A's fan @ Jan 16, 2008 -> 01:29 PM)
I doubt it, benson is very non impressive and I feel that fanneca will end up in chi town too.

And on Faneca, I think he'd be a perfect fit for what that O-Line needs, and I think simply adding a guy like him (and hopefully drafting a couple others) would do a lot to suddenly make Ced. Benson look a lot better.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jan 16, 2008 -> 04:02 PM)
Woman accuses Moss of battery; Moss accuses her of blackmail, denies hitting anyone and calls whatever happened an "accident".

Not sure what to believe; don't care, at this moment with nothing but vague charges being thrown about.

unfortunately for Moss he has a little bit of a history with hitting women.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 16, 2008 -> 04:07 PM)
unfortunately for Moss he has a little bit of a history with hitting women.

I don't coun the traffic incident as the same thing.

I wouldn't doubt that he struck her but for the charge that she was extorting him, which would of course ruin her case to me even if he had struck her. When you go for a tradeoff in something like tat, you lose credibility. But no -- in most cases, I believe the woman, but almost never if there's some sort of blackmail. We'll see.

FWIW

Authorities in Georgia say a woman who accused suspended Tennessee Titans cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones of hitting her has withdrawn her petition to have him arrested.

A clerk in the Warrants Division told The Associated Press that the petition of Wanda S. Jackson had been withdrawn on Wednesday.

Neither Jackson nor Jones' attorneys returned calls seeking comment on Wednesday.

I'm slightly worried each time I write a sports poem (two and a half'; the Rockies poem, this poem, and half a poem I have for Schuerholz) that people some day will mock me as I've mocked others for sports poetry instead of more substantive poetry but then I remember that even the great writers have written poems about sports (on the side to their "real" writings, of course, and that is to same for me) so I don't feel shame. With that in mind, I present my latest, published here: http://www.patspulpit.com/story/2008/1/17/1209/60959

American Revolution

In a world of hyperbole

Bill Belichick is fascist with

Josh McDaniels Mussolini;

Moralists condemn Patriots

For Taping Eric Mangini,

Accusing them of ev'ry crime

Although they can't be convicted

For anything but Regicide

For which they should be heralded

As grand Revolutionaries

When Tom Brady leads his army

Through the cold desert Foxboro

He burns Their Reichstag to the ground

Finding warmth in Empire's flame;

Moss grows in the damp desert's blaze

And the League shivers at the sight

Of cannons reinforced by steel,

Impregnable and absolute

Accurate and overwhelming

Blitzkrieg of wondrous perfection

Missiles and mines, battering rams

Define the team's defensive stand

And the League, to defenseless man

Asks fleet to defend master plan

Calling upon little birds past

In hopes they'll halt New England's Pats

But East and West and Old and New

Are stopped themselves by Patriots

Who will accept nothing short of

Unconditional victory

It is war against tradition

That New England has been waging

For the new century's decade;

Against modern reality,

Where all live under tyranny,

The reign of the mediocre

Being to the Reich's preference

To spread the Time like Communists

But what some call a Dynasty

Is really Proletariat

These Patriots' in their revolt

Are writing the Magna Carta

For this time, their perfect spirals

Representing ev'ry person

Who the Elite tries to oppress

With rules meant for the benefit

Of some at the expense of all;

For those who march to their own drums

Brady unleashes tomorrow --

It's in his arm that freedom rings

Edited by Gregory Pratt

QUOTE(knightni @ Jan 16, 2008 -> 06:02 PM)
Tony Sparano joins the Dolphins family.

Once he gets in, there's no getting out.

:D

Wayne Huizenga wants to be the Dallas Cowboys franchise.It seems like he takes any coach that leaves or might leave that team.

from roto

Attorney Joe Friedberg, a member of Randy Moss' legal team, says the woman who was granted a restraining order against Moss asked the receiver for $500,000 last week to keep the story quiet.

Friedberg says Moss refused the demand and the story popped up on a Florida radio station Tuesday night. Moss claims the woman is trying to extort him. Friedberg says the injury the woman suffered resulted from "consensual horseplay."

Randy gets drunk and hits women while he has sex with them

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 17, 2008 -> 11:20 AM)
from roto

Randy gets drunk and hits women while he has sex with them

I don't know what that means, what his lawyer said, exactly, but consensual horseplay sounds like mutual rough sex. And until we know what her injury was it's hard to know if he hit her or if she was truly injured accidentally and then decided she wanted money.

We'll see.

Meanwhile, back in the NFL...Wade Phillips is seemingly going to be looking over his shoulder at his OC for the next year, if he even is retained at all. Garrett is staying in Dallas, turning down the Falcons and the Ravens. IMO, this will only serve to make both of the teams he has spurned better in the long run.