Official NFL Thread

The only silver lining for me is now I don't have to pay any attention to the Super Bowl.

If the Pack had gotten there, I'd have been watching. They're the only football team I pay any attention to, so now football is mercifully over for me.

NY + Boston = I couldn't possibly care less.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all the credit Mike McCarthy gets in regards to his playcalling, I watched the entire game in all 4 of their losses this year and the Packers playcalling was AWFUL in all 4 of those games. I thought McCarthy was an offensive guru or something? Anyways, New York clearly was the better team, that game would have long been over if not for quite a few breaks for GB, so congrats to the Giants. And if New England can play that bad and still win by 9 and run 9:15 off the clock to beat San Diego, they'll beat the Giants. The Giants played their best in week 17, at home, NE didn't, and the Pats still won.

A little exaggeration, but I really don't the Pats have been showing us their best the last 4 weeks ... mainly because they really have not had to.

Agreed -- but also, what they do against X or Y team is hard to take and apply to other teams because Belichick and his staff adjust game-to-game and are the best at it. They don't do the same things against everyone.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jan 20, 2008 -> 09:14 PM)
Based on what? NE hasn't played great this post season and Giants almost beat em in Week 17.

NE will be favored huge, but Giants should be able to hang.

Someone else pointed out about NE/NY and the circumstances (NY playing its best, at home; NE, not, and still winning) but one of the more interesting things to me was something I read in one of the Boston papers a few weeks ago that Belichick was playing quite conservative, without a ton of pressure, in the first because he didn't want to hurt anyone and figured the Giants would rest their starters after one half. That WAS the plan until the players said they wanted to continue and that's when NE really took over in the second half, along with the adjustments.

Regardless, I don't think NYG has as much talent or coaching or luck. They'll need perfect execution, a great gameplan and some good fortune to shine on them in the form of Patriots mistakes. They'll certainly need to execute some "gutsy" plays like the Jaguars did against NE, especially on the first drive, and as the Eagles as well as teh Giants themselves did. At this point, though, you've got to wonder how much they've got and further add that it is questionable how much a few new surprises might help since it hasn't done anything for anyone else.

This year's Super Bowl could be a rout or it could be a close game but it almost certainly won't be a Giants victory. Like San Diego going further than it was supposed to, NY will find its final stop at the next. Congratulations on getting there, but you really don't belong, whatever the final score says. I don't say that as a boast -- that's just the way things are going to be. However, I worry about the game, as I have been for all the Patriots games. It is football and anything can happen in life, but I think I'm being realistic. And besides, I heard Eli's Oreos were going to wear him down in the coming weeks.

Link

The New England Patriots have sauntered through the rest of the league this year. But on the verge of perfection, their leader has become gimpy.

Multiple media reports in Boston say that Tom Brady was spotted in New York on Monday wearing a walking cast. The Boston Herald's Web site shows a photograph of the quarterback wearing the walking cast while carrying flowers. A video of Brady in the cast is available on TMZ.com.

The Herald reported that Brady was visiting the apartment of his girlfriend, Gisele Bundchen.

During his weekly radio show on WEEI, Brady did not deny that he suffered some sort of injury during Sunday's win over the San Diego Chargers.

"Ah, you know, there's always bumps and bruises. I'll be ready for the Super Bowl," Brady said, according to the Boston Herald. "I'm not worried about that. I'm not missing this one. I'd have to be on a stretcher to miss this one. There will be treatment this week. In games like this, you get a little nicked up. It's nothing serious."

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 21, 2008 -> 03:40 PM)
Tony Dungy's officially coming back next year! :headbang

It's probably his last year, but they'll re-assess the situation at the end of next year. It's also official that Jim Caldwell will be Dungy's successor whenever he decides to step down.

Bill Belichick may be a better all-around coach, but I'd want no one else representing the Colts. I'm pumped. :headbang

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 22, 2008 -> 01:20 AM)
I hope Tom Terrific just f***s them. And I hope this foot in a boot thing is all a ploy to try and get the Giants to think that Tom Brady is sore.

This is definitely a Belichek ploy, he loves to play the "He may be hurt, he may not be hurt" game with the media and opposing teams

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 22, 2008 -> 08:34 AM)
This is definitely a Belichek ploy, he loves to play the "He may be hurt, he may not be hurt" game with the media and opposing teams

As Greasy said -- it's pointless to do such a thing considering the circumstance and as I'll add, no, Belichick isn't doing this as a "ploy". Brady received medical attention during the game against the Chargers after being hit hard. He's probably fine, and he'll almost certainly play and play very well (I'd say certainly if anything were certain) but this isn't something they're making up to get into someone's head or whatever. That's silly. And Belichick putting Brady on the injury list as "probable" for years is more an act of mocking rebellion against the league than any attempt to screw with opposing teams.

If Brady's wearing a boot, he isn't wearing it because Belichick is messing with someone. He's wearing it because he had one too many parking tickets.

Or something.

By the way, I don't want to kick a guy while he's sulking but how about LT? Just sitting there looking like Darth Vader or Curt Schilling while The Wild Thing prepares to blow the World Series. That's alright though, because he's "classy". If you don't believe me, he'll tell you himself.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 22, 2008 -> 08:44 AM)
It's pointless here though. Who in their right minds would expect Brady or anybody to miss this game because they're "sore"?

I will say this -- Brady is a little more than sore. I don't know what's wrong with him but he's awfully ginger right now, according to reports and the video.

I'll bet he's fine for the Bowl and more than good enough, but I am a little worried. That's what I do, though. Worry. I can't wait for this season to end and I won't have to worry about their record

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jan 22, 2008 -> 10:52 AM)
I will say this -- Brady is a little more than sore. I don't know what's wrong with him but he's awfully ginger right now, according to reports and the video.

I'll bet he's fine for the Bowl and more than good enough, but I am a little worried. That's what I do, though. Worry. I can't wait for this season to end and I won't have to worry about their record

Everybody's sore at this point of the season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wn-MIuAfmE

Great song, even if it is pro NYG. I love it. The trophy belongs in Gotham City! How cute.

EDIT: The Patriots remind me of my favorite cartoon,

That I used to watch when I was young,

There was a group of villains called the Legion of Doom,

When I saw them in New England I was stunned,

Bill Belichick's Lex Luthor with his evil genius plan,

Tom Brady is Bizarro, he's the coach's right hand man,

Who's protected by Gorillas trying to keep him from a loss,

While he fires another laser to the Riddler Randy Moss,

Eli put on your Superman cape,

Fly out to Arizona on a plane,

Don't let New England's bad guys escape,

The desert with a title and another claim to fame,

Avoid Lex Luthor's camera kryptonite,

Turn the aging lion Seau to a kitty,

Take your Giant men of steel out into the fight,

And show the men of stealing signals that the trophy belongs in Gotham City,

Tell Osi Umenyiora to start up the BatMobile,

Tell Strahan that it's time to get in,

Meet the team in Arizona in the Patriots backfield,

Show the world that the good guys still can win,

Eli's life won't be the same when the Giants win this game,

He might even tell Tom Brady that Gisele's his Lois Lane,

Now the world is going to say that his chance is less than zero,

But when New York wins the Super Bowl, he'll be a cartoon hero,

Eli put on your Superman cape,

Fly out to Arizona on a plane,

Don't let New England's bad guys escape,

The desert with a title and another claim to fame,

Avoid Lex Luthor's camera kryptonite,

Turn the aging lion Seau to a kitty,

Take your Giant men of steel out into the fight,

And show the men of stealing signals that the trophy belongs in Gotham City,

Yes, justice will be done cause the trophy's coming home to Gotham City ...

Edited by Gregory Pratt

Nice to see the Bears looking at players like Flacco, Choice, and of course Zbi .. none are 1st round choices, but Flacco could be a better pickup then someone like Brennan. Flacco is 6'6'' which would be a big change of QB's we have had in the pass and I think we could get him in the 2nd round and that would be a beautiful choice. Drafting a QB in the second says your our QB in the future, but hey this season we might let Rex do his thing(just dont try to remember things he teaches you). Edjt* and he just turned 23 on the 16th

Choice, idk where they expect him to go, my guess would be 2nd-3rd round choice .. he had a good season, but as long as we are going to keep Benson, and dont want to use Wolfe we mine as well take a RB. I wouldnt like to take one this early, but w/e.

Zbi, of course, I welcome with open arms. I would love to see this guy in our DB field.

Still awhile ahead but fun stuff

Edited by JFields27

I don't go out of my way for The Sports Guy but I will read him when I'm reading Page 2. I do like him, overall, but in this particular instance he was referenced on, I believe, Pats Pulpit. (The only sportswriter I go out of my way to read is Jeff Pearlman.)

Edited by Gregory Pratt